News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 379     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I knew that. The Denison crossing in Brampton is on the Orangeville-Brampton Railway, where I doubt any passenger service will ever venture, apart from the rare south-of-Snelgrove Credit Valley Explorer excursions.

I don't think any clarification was necessary.

OBRY and the CP Galt Sub meet in Streetsville, so an Orangeville branch from Milton is operationally possible.

I doubt that there will ever be GO service on OBRY. The passenger excursions are popular in the fall (I've done this twice; it's a really beautiful corridor by Southern Ontario standards), but it's a winding, slow track, with nothing in between Snelgrove and Orangeville except small villages like Inglewood.

I knew that. The Denison crossing in Brampton is on the Orangeville-Brampton Railway, where I doubt any passenger service will ever venture, apart from the rare south-of-Snelgrove Credit Valley Explorer excursions.

I don't think any clarification was necessary.
Had me scratching my head when I looked up Denison Avenue on a map ... I was wondering for a minute if they were going to divert/extend it under the CN tracks somehow at Mills Street near Brampton GO. And then I looked up Denison Road instead ... If one is familiar with the road names in Weston, clarification isn't necessary ... but I thought I'd mention it before anyone else got as confused as I was ... perhaps I'm the only one.

OBRY and the CP Galt Sub meet in Streetsville, so an Orangeville branch from Milton is operationally possible.

I doubt that there will ever be GO service on OBRY. The passenger excursions are popular in the fall (I've done this twice; it's a really beautiful corridor by Southern Ontario standards), but it's a winding, slow track, with nothing in between Snelgrove and Orangeville except small villages like Inglewood.

It would be interesting if they could do it in the far future....connecting Orangeville to Milton line would, by necessity also connect it to the Georgetown line and I like lines with multiple desitinations/options as opposed to single points.

It would be interesting if they could do it in the far future....connecting Orangeville to Milton line would, by necessity also connect it to the Georgetown line and I like lines with multiple desitinations/options as opposed to single points.

The Milton Line is the busiest GO line after Lakeshore (West and East). They moved from 10-car consists to exclusively 12-car consists because of capacity issues and limited time slots (CP gave access to 6 now 7 AM/PM spots). GO goes where the demand is and it's not to Orangeville.

You have the minor works going on the line: PRESTO installations, Cooksville GO parking structure, etc. but beyond that, you need several large projects to run anyextra trains. I would say all the following would be completed before running trains to Orangville on the Milton Line, but minimum of 1 & 2 would need to be completed first:

1) Don Valley River Bridge & Fly-under
2) 4 tracks to Meadowvale GO
3) 3 tracks to Milton GO
4) Milton PM Facility (Part of GO's breaking up of Willowbrook to service individual lines)
5) 4 tracks to Milton GO
6) 3 tracks to Cambridge

27% of people boarding Milton GO Station originated from Waterloo Region before GO began bus service to K-W. If GO were to offer Orangeville train service, the Georgetown line makes much more sense.

By servicing individual lines rather than requiring all train consists to cycle through Willowbrook Yard, GO will be able to offer more 'short turn' services that don't terminate at Union Station. This combined with bussing between train lines and local transit to offer an improving web of service. However, without the infrastucture improvements, you don't have any new trains going anywhere.

Work is to start this fall and for the next 2 years on the Denison Rd East underpass on the Georgetown line. There will be 2 bridges with CP seeing 3 tracks and Metrolinx seeing 4 tracks. A video of the area shot April 22. The houses on the north side, west of the tracks will be lost.

Just looking at the google map shot of the Denison Rd crossing and area, and I noticed the bridges over Black Creek, just south down the lines. What is the plan for expanding capacity on these? Will new bridges need to be built soon?

Just looking at the google map shot of the Denison Rd crossing and area, and I noticed the bridges over Black Creek, just south down the lines. What is the plan for expanding capacity on these? Will new bridges need to be built soon?

All bridges will be upgraded to 4/6/7/8 tracks. Black Creek will see steel girders bridges like what there now. The support will have to be lengthen. Eglinton will see upgrade precast beams. Weston Rd will see a new 4/6 track bridge.

Looking at some posting, I stated back on May 21, 2009, I expected to see construction completed on the Brampton station Spring/Summer 2010 and well on courses for that time frame. The platform should be ready mid May, but the elevators will be June. So Much for the Fall 2009 schedule. Opening of this new platform will improve service to everyone, more so once all day service starts in a few years or by 2015.

Most of GO projects are running 6 months to 18 months behind schedule. Who do we fire for the lateness of these projects as well cost over runs??

Most of GO projects are running 6 months to 18 months behind schedule. Who do we fire for the lateness of these projects as well cost over runs??

Hire. You hire people for issues related to understaffing.

GO was given far too many projects without an adequate ramp-up in staff to manage them.

Minor news, but the parking garage at Centennial is now under construction (449 parking spaces in a 3.5 split-level structure).

Had a look at the track work between Ford Dr and Oakville today.

The existing track 2 is cut at both ends with the new #4 track doing slow speed through the yard. The new #1 track has not be connected to the existing #1 track yet.

Crews are working on the new #1 in Oakville station to the point the temporarily bridges were removed going to Burlington, but back in place going home after 4 pm.

It took us an extra 20 minutes going west today and 8 minutes going east because of the track work and over shooting the platform.

Hard to say when the next cut in will take place and for what track.

All of GO's projects should be aiming toward the goal of a minimum two-track dedicated passenger corridor on all lines. Building more tracks and then handing them to the freight railways just makes no sense. CP doesn't need three tracks or even two on the Galt Sub. All of these Milton line projects should be going to building a dedicated GO-owned corridor. Once they have that, there's nothing stopping them from running trains every two minutes, especially since Milton isn't really long enough to require express service (unless they extend to Cambridge).

Back