News   Jul 22, 2024
 200     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 529     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Re Hamilton West Harbour - will the switch be under/before the overbridge? I’ve been assuming the width of the graded area is one track and a service road because it seems hard to believe two parallel tracks will fit under the bridge span, but perhaps I’m mistaken?
I have to assume the 2 tracks will continue under James St and John St and will then have a switch to the east of John St. The entire point of the John St bridge rebuild a few years back was to fit two tracks under the bridge so it would be lind of pointless to have the switch before that bridge.

This great picture post by @tsm1072 provides in my opinion some obvious clarity on where the tracks will be going. If you're not familiar with the area I can draw on the photos to provide some additional context:

Last edited:
Re Hamilton West Harbour - will the switch be under/before the overbridge? I’ve been assuming the width of the graded area is one track and a service road because it seems hard to believe two parallel tracks will fit under the bridge span, but perhaps I’m mistaken?
This work notice from 2023 is the only track diagram we have for the West Harbour tie-in. It is by no means a technical drawing but might give some clues. It shows station tracks converging just past James, and the mainline tie in just before Mary.

1721015185054.png

@Allandale25 posted this clip of the Mx Board Meeting elsewhere:

I'm not sure what's been reported out on timelines elsewhere and as a few are mentioned, I'm not going to search them all out.

But I made these notes:

1) Caledonia Station (Barrie GO) on target to start construction by year's end, with an in-service date of 3-4 years given.

2) Maple GO targeted for full-return of normal operations by Spring' 25

3) For Stouffville GO Line, there will be a major closure in July (this month) to upgrade signals at 5 at-grade crossings. New track near McNicoll has been commissioned.

There was a rather vague statement about a third and final commissioning phase for tracks works 'in the southern area, close to Scarborough Junction' (his words). That would be 'later this year'.

That would seem to suggest that the full twin track operation will be possible by late this year. @crs1026 may wish to listen to that bit at roughly 45:35 of the video.

The bolded above is:

1721056601763.png

From: https://www.gotransit.com/en/the-fu...touffville-line-service-adjustment-july-26-28

Am I too much of a pessimist, or is it just a sad truth? Over that last 5 years or so, Billions have been spent, incredible amounts of new infrastructure is in place or on the cusp of coming online, however it looks like GO Transit is not much further ahead than it was when work was started? To me it seems significant service improvement still requires one more major project to be completed before promised land is reached.
Even when that so called last major project hurdle is completed, there is always one more project to complete before frequent service can happen.
Again am I correct in this mindset, or am I being too negative and GO Transit has made great progress ?
In my opinion, you're right on the money. GO was crude when they started the expansion program, and years later, it's still crude. Services are nowhere near turn up and go, and even when they do achieve 30-minute all-day service on a line, there are numerous exceptions.

I hope that with all the concurrent projects, everything falls into place at the same time and all of a sudden we have something that's better than diesel trains lumbering into grass fields far from whichever town centre the station is named after. But after this many years of waiting, that seems like wishful thinking.

I wonder if the final West Highland Creek bridge will also be worked on during this closure? Hopefully the new signals mean there are plans for some near-term service increases.

Every time I see this specific location mentioned, I'm compelled to tag @crs1026 as it's one of his favourite projects.

Every time I see this specific location mentioned, I'm compelled to tag @crs1026 as it's one of his favourite projects.

Lol, sure....fire me up..... it's definitely a project that will live in infamy ;-)

Someone I know who monitors the site regularly has not reported any sign of mobilization. But if the signals crew have found a way to cut in the interlocking that is immediately to the south, it will finally enable a bit of double track from Kennedy north to the creek. That task is more consistent with a single short weekend outage.

Alas, without the bridge, the new second track platforms at Agincourt and Milliken remain white elephants....

- Paul

Interesting expropriation decision here that ruled in favour of Metrolinx. This would be for the Kitchener Line. It's a very short decision but here are some highlights. cc @smallspy @crs1026 @Northern Light

[3] Mr. Eid, on behalf of Metrolinx, outlined that the Kitchener extension project is a large infrastructure project being undertaken in recognition of the importance of the Waterloo/Toronto innovation corridor. Metrolinx will be adding tracks, bridges, a new station at Kitchener, improvements to the existing stations, including an additional platform and new layover facility near Heritage Road, and a Rail-to-Rail grade separation. The property at issue in this inquiry is located adjacent to the Halton subdivision.

[4] Mr. Olbrycht, senior track engineer at AECOM, Canadian National Railway’s (“CN”) contractor, outlined results of the feasibility studies:

It was determined that a grade separation, flyover and two additional tracks is appropriate given the amount of existing CN rail traffic and what is projected from the Project. In particular, separation of GO transit and CN freight rail track was deemed necessary for the safety of the traveling public on the GO Line and CN operators.

[5] The end result, on the Reed lands: in order to increase Go Rail service to 15-minute, 30-minute and one-hour two way all day service between Union Station and Kitchener to respond to public demands for GO Rail service, it is necessary to construct a fly-over, to separate its tracks from CN, add two additional tracks, and to relocate the CN tracks to allow for the flyover.

[6] Mr. Olbrycht testified that, in addition, the southern tracks have to be flared as the tracks raise above grade in order to allow the trains to maintain a speed of 70 miles per hour. The speed of the trains and the minimum separation distance required by CN dictate the curvature of the track and the incline. “It is mathematically driven.”

[7] As to the impact on the Reed lands, the works proposed eliminates his crossing and he states the configuration of the takings render some of his remaining parcels difficult, if not impossible, to use.

[8] As to alternatives, there were none provided by the requestor. Mr. Olbrycht did testify they considered design options and costs. The grade separation and flyover were selected due to the existing volume of freight traffic on the CN rail and the projected traffic of GO trains. The flyover is preferred since it would allow GO trains to move freely from north to south, without conflict with CN traffic.

[9] The cost of the flyover structure compared to other options was also a factor in the determination of its preferred alternative.

[10] As well, “the topography of the Reed lands makes it an ideal location for a flyover due to a natural low point in the Reed land, since it allows the tracks to be elevated to a lesser degree, resulting in significant cost savings.”

[11] The evidence supporting the proposal and the need for the takings was in no way challenged in evidence. The impact on the Reed lands is considerable, but after considering all of the evidence and submissions the Tribunal concludes that the proposal presented by Metrolinx meets the test in the Act, and the summation of it as set out by the courts. The test in section 7(5) of the Act, and the summation of it as set out by the courts, is whether the proposed taking is “fair, sound and reasonably necessary in the achievement of the objectives of the expropriating authority.”

Found the case and the addresses

1] This is a Report to the Expropriating Authority, Metrolinx, following a Hearing of Necessity at the request of James Reed with respect to his property SE 10 Line & RC, and NW Winston & Wanless, and E10444 Winston Churchill Boulevard, all in Halton Hills, Ontario (“Reed lands”).

if im reading this right, this is the 3 locations mentioned.
10444 winston blvd
10th line somewhere
winston and wanless intersection

Can someone fill me in on how this relates to the silver junction flyover? That is what the project is right?

1721359324612.png

if im reading this right, this is the 3 locations mentioned.
10444 winston blvd
10th line somewhere
winston and wanless intersection

Can someone fill me in on how this relates to the silver junction flyover? That is what the project is right?

View attachment 581503
Portions of these parcels and probably access roads for construction, are required for the rail grade separation.

I assume it'll look like the one between Bathurst and Spadina, but inversed.

1721359809570.png

Back