News   May 17, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Well, it's less than a year before the Markham York U campus opens next to Unionville GO with 4,200 students (plus staff), so I certainly hope this is putting a fire under Metrolinx's feet to finish the track work. If they don't return to early 2020 service levels (evening trains!) if not better by then, it's going to be an absolute disaster.

Well, it's less than a year before the Markham York U campus opens next to Unionville GO with 4,200 students (plus staff), so I certainly hope this is putting a fire under Metrolinx's feet to finish the track work. If they don't return to early 2020 service levels (evening trains!) if not better by then, it's going to be an absolute disaster.
This is coming too. I don't know how Centennial GO Station can handle all this additional demand...

Regarding the Stouffville Line, I haven't heard or seen anything recently about the section from Kennedy to Scarborough Stations, I know the fly under to the south side of the Lakeshore line was cancelled, but is that section still going to be double tracked and separated from Danforth Rd?

Where exactly do you think most of those people are going to be coming from, exactly?

Because if the main campus is anything to go by, the majority of people are not going to be using the GO line.

Dan

Where exactly do you think most of those people are going to be coming from, exactly?

Because if the main campus is anything to go by, the majority of people are not going to be using the GO line.

Dan
Would students from Scarborough prefer to take the Stouffville GO Line to the Markham Campus rather than slow TTC buses to the York University Keele Campus?

Dan
I would think more will commute to the campus via GO than VIVA, which is the only other transit available.

The GO buses from Markham to the main York campus always look very busy and I would assume most students attending this campus would be from Markham and North Scarborough. I guess we'll see next year.

Would students from Scarborough prefer to take the Stouffville GO Line to the Markham Campus rather than slow TTC buses to the York University Keele Campus?
Given the excellent connection at Kennedy, and the stop on heavily-used Sheppard Avenue, I'd expect there'd be some traffic. Less so from those who live in the north.

Although it was frustrating that it always felt like they keep taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back all year (weekend Kitchener Line trains, direct GO bus between Hamilton/Guelph/Waterloo, Barrie/Stouffville cuts, overall overcrowding on the Kitchener line corridor on the weekends on both trains and buses, etc), there still might be hope.

It looks like the fare integration with GO/TTC (hopefully the rest of the 905 as well), Finch West LRT opening, and maybe 30 min all day trains to both Bramalea and Unionville could be the big discussions of 2024 which could benefit both of these York campuses massively and its the fact that this all doesn't sound too crazy at all. 2024 could really be the true comeback year that Metrolinx desperately needs and if they can deliver then it would truly be game changing for the GTA.

IMG_4048.jpg

That would depend on where they are coming from, wouldn't it? Someone living not close enough to access the Stouffville Line isn't likely to see any benefit from it.

I would think more will commute to the campus via GO than VIVA, which is the only other transit available.

The GO buses from Markham to the main York campus always look very busy and I would assume most students attending this campus would be from Markham and North Scarborough. I guess we'll see next year.
Unless things have changed quite drastically since COVID, more students travel to York Campus by surface transit, which is arranged mainly east-west, than come by subway, which is predominantly north-south.

Dan

Back