News   Jul 15, 2024
 382     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 547     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Not sure if this was posted here before, but Metrolinx uploaded their 2019 Annual Procurement Plan (LOTS of tenders to be awarded next year, at least that's the plan). Cannot copy direct link, but under this page, scroll down to the "2018/19 Annual Procurement Plan" green link.

TY to @raptor for the link. I copy/pasted the data from their excel sheet for the construction related tenders and did a bit of cleanup on the formatting. Herewith, the tender list:

Vegetation Management, All CorridorsUnder $1MConstruction Services
Graffiti, Noise Walls and FencingUnder $1MConstruction Services
Shelter Lights Installation at AldershotUnder $1MConstruction Services
Exit Sign Replacement at ErindaleUnder $1MConstruction Services
Replacement/Improvement to 20 exterior doors operators at BloorUnder $1MConstruction Services
Power Service upgrades at Etobicoke NorthUnder $1MConstruction Services
S4 Installation at Mount PleasantUnder $1MConstruction Services
97 Front street accessible door operator installation on main entrance doorsUnder $1MConstruction Services
Garbage enclosure at Clarkson StationUnder $1MConstruction Services
Water bibs installation at Hamilton centreUnder $1MConstruction Services
Replacement of snow melting piping in platform pits at StreetsvilleUnder $1MConstruction Services
Retaining wall rehabilitation at Guelph StationUnder $1MConstruction Services
Pins relocation in the Bay/York teamwaysUnder $1MConstruction Services
HVAC improvement projects to various MX propertiesUnder $1MConstruction Services
Washroom Pilot to replace faucets with dual unit faucet and dryer unitUnder $1MConstruction Services
Addition of double doors (6 in total) at bay tower at West HarbourUnder $1MConstruction Services
Lighting controls at Hamilton GO Centre Under $1MConstruction Services
Centennial Parking Structure RehabilitationUnder $1MConstruction Services
Pearson Airport relocation of 2 TVM's to UP express terminal at T1Under $1MConstruction Services
Construction of new signalized right turn lane at StreetsvilleUnder $1MConstruction Services
New Pedestrian Bridge at ClarksonUnder $1MConstruction Services
Middlefield Roof ReplacementUnder $1MConstruction Services
Union Station Platform work - securing ceiling hangers/fixturesUnder $1MConstruction Services
97 Front street office entrance Flag Pole Installation Under $1MConstruction ServicesMini Platform Relocation-Acton Under $1MConstruction Services
Generator Standpipe Upgrades at Pearson StationUnder $1MConstruction Services
Concrete Tie Replacement Program - NewmarketUnder $1MConstruction Services
Parking and Bus Loop Improvements - BradfordOver $1MConstruction Services
Weston Tunnel 3rd Platform Over $1MConstruction Services
Bramalea Station Over $1MConstruction Services
Union Station Enhancement Project - DBBOver $1MConstruction Services
Track Enhancement - East Side of Union StationOver $1MConstruction Services
Track Emergent ContractorOver $1MConstruction Services
Bay Concourse Metrolinx Fit-upOver $1MConstruction Services
Shop Lighting at WillowbrookOver $1MConstruction Services
Park and Ride Lot Bronte and 407Over $1MConstruction Services
Park & Ride Lots - Clarington (Courtice)Over $1MConstruction Services
Emergent Contract (Construction: e.g. concrete pads for bus shelters)Over $1MConstruction Services
Bridges and Structures Emergency WorksOver $1MConstruction Services
Bridge Rehabilitation Work at Various Locations - M. 16.68 Oakville, M. 5.86 Newmarket, M. 331.90 Kingston and M. 1.20 USRC Over $1MConstruction Services
Emergent Construction ContractOver $1MConstruction Services
Customer Wi-Fi SolutionOver $1MConstruction Services
Emergent ConstructionOver $1MConstruction Services
Signal Tower Rehabilitations: Cherry, Scott, JohnOver $1MConstruction Services
Aurora Station Parking LotOver $1MConstruction Services
East Gwillimbury Parking ExpansionOver $1MConstruction Services
Davenport Diamond Grade SeparationOver $1MConstruction Services
Rutherford Station, Grade Separation & Parking StructureOver $1MConstruction Services
Barrie Double Track - Contract 2Over $1MConstruction Services
Barrie Double Track - Contract 3Over $1MConstruction Services
Weston StationOver $1MConstruction Services
Heritage Rd Layover facilityOver $1MConstruction Services
Georgetown Station and LayoverOver $1MConstruction Services
3rd Track (Carlingview to Halton Sub) Over $1MConstruction Services4th Track Construction - Strachan to NickleOver $1MConstruction Services
Stouffville Stations and Steeles Ave G/S Over $1MConstruction Services
South Stouffville Grade SeparationOver $1MConstruction Services
USEP- New Emergency GeneratorOver $1MConstruction Services
Track Enhancement - West Side of Union StationOver $1MConstruction Services
LSE - East Corridor ExpansionOver $1MConstruction Services
LSE - Central Corridor Expansion (RFP Issue)Over $1MConstruction Services
LSE - Central Corridor ExpansionOver $1MConstruction Services
LSE - West Corridor Expansion (RFP Issue)Over $1MConstruction Services
Rouge Hill StationOver $1MConstruction Services
Confederation GO Station (Main Works)Over $1MConstruction Services
Aldershot Stn South Parking Exp. & Stn. ImprovementOver $1MConstruction Services
Confederation GO Station (Enabling Works)Over $1MConstruction Services
LSW- Corridor Wide Procurement (RFP Issue)Over $1MConstruction Services
LSW- Corridor Wide ProcurementOver $1MConstruction Services
Port Credit GO Station Parking Structure Joint DevelopmentOver $1MConstruction Services
Milton and Meadowvale Stations & SOW facility (RFP)Over $1MConstruction Services
Milton and Meadowvale Stations & SOW facilityOver $1MConstruction Services
Regional Express Rail - Kipling Bus TerminalOver $1MConstruction Services
Guelph Sub Track and Signal MaintenanceOver $1MConstruction Services
Track improvements for PSO Removal (OAKVILLE SUB MP2.5-3.5)Over $1MConstruction Services
Bala Subdivision Flood MitigationsOver $1MConstruction Services
Rail Corridor Infrastructure GarageOver $1MConstruction Services
Concrete Tie Replacement Program - ExhibitionOver $1MConstruction Services
System-wide Turnout Surfacing (Contractor supplied equipment)Over $1MConstruction Services
LSW Turnout ReplacementsOver $1MConstruction Services
Guelph Sub Capital ImprovementsOver $1MConstruction Services
Emergent Track Rehabilitation ProgramOver $1MConstruction Services
Mini Tie Gang (2 year)Over $1MConstruction Services
System-wide Surfacing (2-year, Owner supplied equipment - Dynacat)Over $1MConstruction Services
Canpa Plant RehabilitationOver $1MConstruction Services

^A very interesting list in terms of things that haven't yet been awarded. Tends to underline that we don't really know if some of this will happen, or not.

- Paul
Very much so!

I was reading the last two items with a huge amount of curiosity:

1542405256371.png

I used the on-page search function in LibreOffice, couldn't find any other reference to "DBFOM"...so is that the cost of issuing the package of details to prospective bidders, or is it the cost of ?

Very much so!

I was reading the last two items with a huge amount of curiosity:

View attachment 164022

I used the on-page search function in LibreOffice, couldn't find any other reference to "DBFOM"...so is that the cost of issuing the package of details to prospective bidders, or is it the cost of ?
That's the 'mother of all DBFOM's we've been referencing. Essentially, the electrification project. The RFQ has already closed.

Not sure if this was posted here before, but Metrolinx uploaded their 2019 Annual Procurement Plan (LOTS of tenders to be awarded next year, at least that's the plan). Cannot copy direct link, but under this page, scroll down to the "2018/19 Annual Procurement Plan" green link.

Really good find. Interesting that there's a category for "Niagara Expansion" but I assume the freight bypass/more service for the Kitchener Line and the Bowmanville Extension are captured under "off-corridor".

There's no room there for a third track....but what there's *really* no room for is...catenary!

I always wonder why Metrolinx doesn't leave more room for future expansion. I mean, it wasn't that long ago when LSE got its third track and now a fourth is being discussed already. It seems so much more expensive in the long run to only add one track at a time. I get that doing it this way brings the short-term cost down and makes it an easier sell to politicians, but it still seems shortsighted.

I always wonder why Metrolinx doesn't leave more room for future expansion. I mean, it wasn't that long ago when LSE got its third track and now a fourth is being discussed already. It seems so much more expensive in the long run to only add one track at a time. I get that doing it this way brings the short-term cost down and makes it an easier sell to politicians, but it still seems shortsighted.
In the political arena, if the bet on increased ridership was wrong, the party which made the bet would be roasted for wasteful overspending so that this kind of risk - although practical from a total cost of acquisition viewpoint - is too great. Furthermore, the immediate benefit of the third track might be seen now - say within a mandate. But the benefit of the fourth may be in a future mandate. If you wish for your government's actions to be seen as benefiting the community, the money spent on the fourth track, is best spent on something with more immediate visibility so that you receive credit for it NOW.

In the political arena, if the bet on increased ridership was wrong, the party which made the bet would be roasted for wasteful overspending so that this kind of risk - although practical from a total cost of acquisition viewpoint - is too great. Furthermore, the immediate benefit of the third track might be seen now - say within a mandate. But the benefit of the fourth may be in a future mandate. If you wish for your government's actions to be seen as benefiting the community, the money spent on the fourth track, is best spent on something with more immediate visibility so that you receive credit for it NOW.

Is the political blowback that bad though? The region is littered with overbuilt vanity projects and no one paid the price politically - in fact, championing it seems to be the way to the ticket at a riding level. Agree with the visibility part.

AoD

^It’s a bit of “play the ball as you find it”.

The photo that got this discussion going is from the Uxbridge Sub, which really is the exception to the rule. It was only ever single track and never had enough width for more than two tracks. If you look at the back yards along that route, it’s too late to widen that line without huge expropriation issues and voter blowback. But frankly, nobody ever foresaw a need for more than two tracks..... until John Tory came along with Smarttrack. Two tracks is sufficient for the GO service.

On the Barrie line, a third track has been roughed in in spots and the capacity for three is included in much of the planning. The other lines are wider.

Most importantly, if you look at the aerial views on any of our rail lines, you will see that just about every bridge and underpass has room for added tracks. So in general, anything that has been built in the last 60 years anticipated expansion of some sort. In many cases the added space was originally intended for service tracks to provide freight service to local industry. That local industry has dried up, but the space is there for GO to use.

So I disagree with the basic premise that we haven’t been building with an eye to expansion. There are certainly choke points, but these are generally very longstanding and certainly predate any recent transit projects.

- Paul

Two tracks is sufficient for the GO service.
Two tracks will suffice if passing tracks are used further up or down the line. There may have been a case to be made for slight expropriation sufficient to clear catenary posts, or maybe they can be erected on the outside of the walls, possibly posts in the centre of the tracks like LRTs, but I have to wonder if TC would agree to that? Just two tracks is forgivable and useful (passing loops being used elsewhere) but lack of foresight for catenary isn't. Perhaps they already have it planned for? My sixth sense is tingling on this though, just as it is on the competence of the sound absorption quality of the walls.

At one time, a lot of these corridor were double track and saw one track removed when the need for it wasn't required. Some had siding to industries that don't exist any longer.

There are a few pinch points where you only can get in 2 tracks and a 3rd would require buying land.

The Lakeshore corridor can handle 4 tracks base on what I have seen, but have not seen all of the east end. West end has no problem up to Aldershot, other than some new bridges and overpass/underpass have to be built.

As for the Stouffville Line, Kennedy Station and north of it, hard to get a 3rd track in for about 60% of the corridor without buying land. The Barrie Line has a number of spots limiting the corridor to 2 tracks for the few areas I have seen first hand and have never ridden the line. The KW up to Georgetown can handle 4 tracks, other than downtown Brampton that can only support 3 tracks today. Few places I have seen west of Georgetown can only support 2-3 tracks, with mostly been 2.

One aspect that needs to be considered when discussing shoehorning more trackage or intrastructure into existing ROWs is that any that retain freight traffic will have to accommodate overdimensional loads. I have no idea what those clearances would be but I doubt a freight carrier will be willing to relinquish the capacity to handle that kind of traffic. They may be infrequent but I have to believe they are high-value.

One aspect that needs to be considered when discussing shoehorning more trackage or intrastructure into existing ROWs is that any that retain freight traffic will have to accommodate overdimensional loads. I have no idea what those clearances would be but I doubt a freight carrier will be willing to relinquish the capacity to handle that kind of traffic. They may be infrequent but I have to believe they are high-value.
Anything that is oversize, 2 tracks will be out of service for the move, not the one it been move on.

Back