News   May 03, 2024
 376     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 263     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 145     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Did you hear what Hamilton GO centre is getting?
I did not unfortunately. This was information passed to me by someone at the Central Neighbourhood Association, so their main focus was things taking place in Central. It was the Ward 2 office sharing the info though, so you might be able to reach out and find out from them. I'd offer, but I email them around 2-4 times a week, so.

I've skimmed through the prior ~50 pages of this thread to educate myself on the progress of the Stouffville line.

Is the West Highland Creek bridge the final "major construction" project to twinning track from Union station to Unionville station?

I've skimmed through the prior ~50 pages of this thread to educate myself on the progress of the Stouffville line.

Is the West Highland Creek bridge the final "major construction" project to twinning track from Union station to Unionville station?

No. Its the final step in the current (twinning) project, which covers Kennedy to Unionville.

This leaves additional segments from Kennedy to Scarborough Junction; then along the LSE from there to Toronto Union.

* the current project should allow for significantly more service than what we have today. But not the ultimate service plan.

I wish there was a map we could reference that would show the current progress on the twinning of the Stouffville and Barrie line.
I maintain one myself if that helps:

"Prep work" is construction on supporting infrastructure such as widening structures, adding additional platforms, but not actually laying track.
Not all stations are shown. Not all crossovers are shown.
Capture.JPG

April 28
Guelph
Finally got backup to look at the new platform since my last visit and a number of things that jumped out for me.

1: Where were the people coming from for the east end of the existing platform when no trains are running??
2: Part of the east end of the westbound platform was fenced off.
3. Big mistake for ML to close off the stairs to the platforms with ML not wanting to be liable for slip and fall in the winter months and keeping it clean.
4: I knew the eastbound platform would use the bridge, but not the 200' west of it. I guess this had to do with the east switch that was placed.
5: I knew the Chamber of Commerce would lose a few parking spots with the platform, but I'm not sure who has the fence off area to the west now that was part of the parking lot.
6: I cannot recall if the ramp to the tunnel was there before the construction, or did it replace the stair that was there? A good move anyway as there is no need for an elevator there now. Too bad they cannot do that on the north side.
7: How is anyone to read screens when the sun is out or is shining on them?? This applies across the network. Could see something, but unable to read it and this include adds.

Now, when does it go into service??

Confederation
I had a better look at the station today and as I expected, the new platform is not in between the two pairs of tracks that was proposed. It is in the old CN corridor. The platform goes over the bridge now.

Parking lot reading for concrete work.

What I saw the last time as well today, it looks like the south bridge was extended to support the centre platform as well having to track and one reason for a retaining wall on the southside for track support. When the south track gets place next year, it will be south of where it was in the first place to connect to the north track.

This is saying GO will run on the south side of CN tracks from East Harbour to Confederation and Lweis Yard once the 3rd track get build to Confederation. It is also saying to me, GO will run to the right of CN tracks until it gets to St. Catharines Station where it will have to crossover unless ML building a new platform there. It also means ML future station will be on the right-hand side heading to NF from my point of view.

Photos to follow

"Prep work" is construction on supporting infrastructure such as widening structures, adding additional platforms, but not actually laying track.
View attachment 559884
Great map, but disappointing how long its taken for them to put another part of track in. Probably the easiest thing in the whole GO Expansion project. How long will electrification take if we go at this pace? 20 years?

This is saying GO will run on the south side of CN tracks from East Harbour to Confederation and Lweis Yard once the 3rd track get build to Confederation. It is also saying to me, GO will run to the right of CN tracks until it gets to St. Catharines Station where it will have to crossover unless ML building a new platform there. It also means ML future station will be on the right-hand side heading to NF from my point of view.
Doesn't seem to me like there is intent to do anything on the south side. There is a seemingly active industrial site to the south which could be a future park and ride, but I doubt there is money or inclination to disturb them for now.

Doesn't seem to me like there is intent to do anything on the south side. There is a seemingly active industrial site to the south which could be a future park and ride, but I doubt there is money or inclination to disturb them for now.
With the amount of parking plan for the north side, it will be a long time before they have to look at the south side. It is all industrial in that area with no walk-in or a lot of transit to it.

View attachment 559884
There's some double track under construction between Rutherford and maple go now. Also quite a bit of land has been cleared between Aurora and king city.

There's some double track under construction between Rutherford and maple go now. Also quite a bit of land has been cleared between Aurora and king city.
Is the work between Rutherford and Maple actually laying track or just preparing the ROW? I don't recall seeing a contract for actual track laying

The Aurora-King thing was meant as a solution to the Roadswitcher Mondays problem, but CN apparently convinced the lumber yard to transload at Mac Yard. That stretch of roadbed ground to a halt two years ago.

- Paul

Back