News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 642     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

April 20
More up on my site for Kennedy GO Station and have posted photos in the Kennedy Crosstown Station that is part of the GO Station. You can see how much work is outstanding for both platforms, but more for the current one.
52863238881_787f9a9f74_b.jpg

52863401299_782e75e37e_b.jpg

52863239106_f0da6b0a5d_b.jpg

52863239096_936d6b26e8_b.jpg

52863400804_1ac62340b3_b.jpg

52863238471_d36ba12dfa_b.jpg

52863400459_6b4ab4f0a4_b.jpg

52863237906_95fb371869_b.jpg

52863626430_d5f3c5f107_b.jpg

Has there been any sign of mobilization tofinish the creek bridges?

- Paul
One of our mutual friends posted photos from his condo a week or so ago. I can't recall seeing any heavy construction equipment located at the site of the bridge.

Dan

Yeah, it will definitely be much more convenient, hourly train service off peak isn't exactly ideal but it's something. But if it actually becomes every 15 minutes they really need to start grade separating the tracks across road crossings in Markham. I live nearish to the tracks and even at all day service at 1 hour I feel like I end up encountering the train pretty regularly on the roads because it's basically 2 trains an hour, meaning one will cross every 30 minutes. At 15 minutes you're talking about one train crossing every 7.5 minutes. Traffic is bad enough here and while more GO service has benefits, it won't help with local traffic.
Wishing that 15 min service went all the way up to Mt Joy instead. Its kind of a similar feeling to how Mount Pleasant and DT Brampton won't be getting frequent enough service to help Brampton's transit riders, only this time the Stouffville line is fully owned by ML so it shouldn't be that hard to begin with.

Wishing that 15 min service went all the way up to Mt Joy instead. Its kind of a similar feeling to how Mount Pleasant and DT Brampton won't be getting frequent enough service to help Brampton's transit riders, only this time the Stouffville line is fully owned by ML so it shouldn't be that hard to begin with.

Yeah, 15 min service to Mount Joy would be amazing, but it's still single track. Actually, I've noticed recently around Markham station, they're doing some work there near the crossing, almost looks like they're building a passing track. I remember for the longest time Markham station used to have 2 tracks til they dug it out, and later built a 2nd platform on where the old track used to be.

Yeah, 15 min service to Mount Joy would be amazing, but it's still single track. Actually, I've noticed recently around Markham station, they're doing some work there near the crossing, almost looks like they're building a passing track. I remember for the longest time Markham station used to have 2 tracks til they dug it out, and later built a 2nd platform on where the old track used to be.
The 2nd platform wasn't built until sometime in 2014.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 11.37.16 AM.png

At Confederation GO today. I can report not much is happening. I only saw two guys, and there's a generator going, looks like they're working on plumbing/drainage.
PXL_20230504_194916526.jpg

I also passed West Harbour earlier, lots of work there. Utility cabling, maybe sanitary/storm sewer work, and perhaps something to do with the bridge piers?
PXL_20230504_162558672.jpg

PXL_20230504_163543107.jpg

At Confederation GO today. I can report not much is happening. I only saw two guys, and there's a generator going, looks like they're working on plumbing/drainage.
View attachment 474211

I also passed West Harbour earlier, lots of work there. Utility cabling, maybe sanitary/storm sewer work, and perhaps something to do with the bridge piers?
View attachment 474212
View attachment 474213
The only different I see from my visited on March 7 is they have form a retaining wall/tunnel to the right.

Need to look at the southside of CN Mainline as that was where the bulk of the work was taking place when I saw it,

I am assuming that a tunnel is been built where the CN mainline was removed along with stormwater and other utilizes are to be place for the station. Once done, backfilling will take place to allow CN to replace the roadbed and re-install their mainline.

May or may not be the right thread, but Metrolinx just released the business case for a Concord Station on the Barrie Line:

View attachment 474419

Interesting that they've now moved it north of Highway 7 and the IBC now makes sense (with the 407 Transitway connection no longer there).

The development potential in this area is insane and proposals are already coming in - could be VMC East in 30 years.

Interesting that they've now moved it north of Highway 7 and the IBC now makes sense (with the 407 Transitway connection no longer there).

The development potential in this area is insane and proposals are already coming in - could be VMC East in 30 years.
And the lack of connection is simply dumbfounding. The Barrie Line is an extremely long line serving many major destinations, it should absolutely have a simple and convenient connection to the 407 Transitway/Burlington-Oshawa Line/Ontario Loop/Whatever.

And the lack of connection is simply dumbfounding. The Barrie Line is an extremely long line serving many major destinations, it should absolutely have a simple and convenient connection to the 407 Transitway/Burlington-Oshawa Line/Ontario Loop/Whatever.
The mini platform shown on the concept drawing just brought up this thought... where are they with regards to level boarding upgrades? is this something 10yrs from now or will they coincide this with electrification?

Except that any connection to the 407 Transitway is pretty hypothetical at this point. What they''re suggesting is a connection now with the services on Highway 7, which makes sense as it does already exist.

Dan

Back