News   May 06, 2024
 458     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 664     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I can't ride a go train anymore without automatically saying "yellow for the rule 43!"... I'm officially nuts

For those going 'huh', what's @Krypto98 on about.......

1681162390303.png

1681162418110.png

From: https://tc.canada.ca/en/rail-transp...-rules/protection-track-work-track-conditions

Work underway to bury electrical utilities that cross the Lakeshore West Line in Oakville at Chartwell Road. Of course, this is prep work for electrification.

View attachment 468053
With all the realignment of roads and the building that will take place in Midtown Oakville, I do not really remember any serious talk about some sort of grade separation for Chartwell. Too large a project given the yard and the five lines crossing? Or perhaps train speeds are not high enough in this section, in the close approaches to Oakville station, to warrant the work? Traffic considerations should come into play eventually, Chartwell has always been a little sleepy at this end, but if the proposed new overpass across the QEW is ever built (to take some load off of Trafalgar), that could change in a hurry.

With all the realignment of roads and the building that will take place in Midtown Oakville, I do not really remember any serious talk about some sort of grade separation for Chartwell. Too large a project given the yard and the five lines crossing? Or perhaps train speeds are not high enough in this section, in the close approaches to Oakville station, to warrant the work? Traffic considerations should come into play eventually, Chartwell has always been a little sleepy at this end, but if the proposed new overpass across the QEW is ever built (to take some load off of Trafalgar), that could change in a hurry.
I always though that road should see a grade separation when the yard was a busy place as well being service by CP and CN, let along GO and VIA. Have seen yard trains blocking the crossing will over 10 minutes due to the fact it had to wait to get clearance to the mainline until the drill track got lengthen. The amount of switch taking place to day is far less then in the past as well storage in the yard.

Traffic is not that heavy in the first place, but its one of many roads that need to be separated to allow higher speed on the line.

The development that was looked at for this area has fallen off the table long time ago and if every surface again, grade separation will be needed.

As for hydro wires, they should be all bury. ML doesn't want them over their corridor or near their LRT as long they are 10-20 feet taller than today heights. Only have to look the hydro wires over the Weston Subdivision by the GO stations that were raised higher as well all the hydro poles along Hurontario LRT Line.

"Miles"? Why not "kilometres"?
I can't cite a definitive source, but it is my understanding that Canadian railways were given a pass because of the enormous cost. Railway operations, including safety, are very distance-specific, just about everything surrounds a given 'mile post'. Recalculating the entire network would have tremendously expensive, for no real benefit except metric compliance. I suppose many other industries could have made the same argument but the Class 1s obviously had the pull.

I can't cite a definitive source, but it is my understanding that Canadian railways were given a pass because of the enormous cost. Railway operations, including safety, are very distance-specific, just about everything surrounds a given 'mile post'. Recalculating the entire network would have tremendously expensive, for no real benefit except metric compliance. I suppose many other industries could have made the same argument but the Class 1s obviously had the pull.
Irish (Republic) railroading is the same. Road = km, rail length/speed limits = miles (per hour). It will be interesting to see if that gets revisited in the event of unification, but I doubt it - there isn’t the same interoperability pressure a European mainland system would have. Even then, measurements other than chainage are usually metric, e.g. platform lengths.

"Miles"? Why not "kilometres"?
I'm surprised you don't know this, the railway industry in Canada to this day is entirely built around imperial units, specific measures of length is done in imperial, mile markers are still, well, mile markers, etc. A big part of this is to have uniformity in terms of railway standards between the US and Canada, and also because when Canada was going through its Metrification phase in the 70s, the priority was to target the areas that impacted your average citizen, such as metrifying highways and liquid containers, meanwhile areas that were more niche in terms of adoption such as railways were put off to a later date (never happened).

A grade separation here has shown up in a few planning documents from Oakville over the years for Cornwall. Obviously, the town has never moved on it. Trains do move quite fast here as they approach Oakville GO, but as you say traffic from cars is light. Interestingly, the “relief overpass” for Trafalgar is to be built between Royal Windsor and North Service to the east, over the existing bridge which is spec’d for additional lanes. Royal Windsor would be extended north west to the Iroquois Shore and Eight Line intersection.

Irish (Republic) railroading is the same. Road = km, rail length/speed limits = miles (per hour). It will be interesting to see if that gets revisited in the event of unification, but I doubt it - there isn’t the same interoperability pressure a European mainland system would have. Even then, measurements other than chainage are usually metric, e.g. platform lengths.
I imagine that changing Ireland over would be much easier as none of the network physical connects to Britain (the island). Given the size, could Ireland force NI's hand and make them change too?

Considering they also own the track between Kitchener and Georgetown, does that mean we'll get hourly all day on the entire line or just only bits and pieces of the line.
The pinch point continues to be Bramalea to Brampton, because CN owns those tracks.

Considering there are almost hourly service to Mount Pleasant, I think its entirely possible.

The hourly service is also dependent on demand. Right now the focus from Kitchener to Brampton is speeding up the line.

The pinch point continues to be Bramalea to Brampton, because CN owns those tracks.

Considering there are almost hourly service to Mount Pleasant, I think its entirely possible.

The hourly service is also dependent on demand. Right now the focus from Kitchener to Brampton is speeding up the line.
Think the demand is already high, especially in Kitchener and Guelph. If it isn't commuters or just people taking the day, its also probably the universities and linking both regions together that helps the ridership a lot.

Not sure how the new 17 route is doing so far, but it could be the best indicator as to how much of a demand the University of Guelph-UW/WLU corridor is and if its best to get more trains involved or not.

I imagine that changing Ireland over would be much easier as none of the network physical connects to Britain (the island). Given the size, could Ireland force NI's hand and make them change too?
not worth rocking the boat over, I would think.

Back