News   Jul 11, 2024
 242     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 573     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2.2K     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

LSW improvements project contract awarded. Notably, the Kerr Street Grade Separation has been dropped from this project. Maybe it will be tendered as its own project?

Contract Awarded for Lakeshore West Infrastructure Improvements Project

Improvements include:
  • Long Branch GO Station improvements and accessibility
  • Burloak Drive Grade Separation
  • Drury Lane pedestrian bridge replacement
  • Enabling works for electrification
hmm, does anyone have a recent image of kerr street since april of last year? appererntly they were doing tree clearing then. is construction going on right now? wondering if it was awarded in early works.
the mimico, clarkson and bronte station improvements i think were also tendered in separate early works

^ I haven’t been following Kerr Street closely, there was discussion here back around message # 9330 - but as of last November there were issues being heard at LPAT that had a bearing on the project - see here

- Paul

hmm, does anyone have a recent image of kerr street since april of last year? appererntly they were doing tree clearing then. is construction going on right now? wondering if it was awarded in early works.
the mimico, clarkson and bronte station improvements i think were also tendered in separate early works
I drove through last week and other than a bit of grub clearing nothing has happened.

LSW improvements project contract awarded. Notably, the Kerr Street Grade Separation has been dropped from this project. Maybe it will be tendered as its own project?

Contract Awarded for Lakeshore West Infrastructure Improvements Project

Improvements include:
  • Long Branch GO Station improvements and accessibility
  • Burloak Drive Grade Separation
  • Drury Lane pedestrian bridge replacement
  • Enabling works for electrification
By "Long Branch GO Station improvements and accessibility", that it would help mitigate the flooding that occurred in February of this year from repeating.

20220217-toronto-flooding-long-branch.jpg

From link.

I drive by Kerr often. The early works being done consisted of moving a natural gas pipeline and building a new loading dock for the adjacent business. They also cleared all the trees and vegetation required for the new ROW that Kerr St will use. The Wimpy's and Good Books building has been emptied as it will be demolished prior to construction of the underpass. There was recently some more activity on site after it had been empty for quite a few months.

I wonder if this is a separate project as the Town of Oakville wants to widen Kerr St up to South Service and create a new signalized intersection at Wyecroft as part of this project. Maybe the financing will be split between Metrolinx and Oakville due to this increased scope.

A closer look at what's proposed for Long Branch GO Stn:

1646154933279.png

Long-Branch-Aerial-March2021-small.jpg

1646154869976.png

A front page story by Robert MacKenzie has details on this and the other project components:

A closer look at what's proposed for Long Branch GO Stn:

View attachment 382615

Long-Branch-Aerial-March2021-small.jpg

View attachment 382613

A front page story by Robert MacKenzie has details on this and the other project components:

Any improvement between the Long Branch GO Station and the Long Branch streetcar and bus loop? Or is it something they will "improve" at the last minute.

Stouffville - March 2018 - $254M - 3 Station Improvements, 1 Grade Sep
Rutherford - December 2018 - $239M - 1 Station Improvement, 1 Parking Garage, 1 Grade Sep
Lakeshore West - Feb 2022 - $443M - 1 Station Improvement, 1 Grade Sep

For that kind of cost, I hope it includes a lot of track and grading work to prep for electrification on the corridor, because yea, that's pricey as all hell for what is essentially a new station building, pedestrian bridge, and underpass.

For that kind of cost, I hope it includes a lot of track and grading work to prep for electrification on the corridor, because yea, that's pricey as all hell for what is essentially a new station building, pedestrian bridge, and underpass.
honestly that is abnormally high.
i wonder how big the "enabling works" really is?

It does seem high - what the heck are the grade separating - the Humber River? :)

Any improvement between the Long Branch GO Station and the Long Branch streetcar and bus loop? Or is it something they will "improve" at the last minute.
Looking at the figure, they are going to have to completely reconfigure the eastern parking area - so presumably there's already stuff planned in that area. I'd think putting a walkway in would be both trivial, and wouldn't impact the number of parking spots much now (if at all).

It does seem high - what the heck are the grade separating - the Humber River? :)

Looking at the figure, they are going to have to completely reconfigure the eastern parking area - so presumably there's already stuff planned in that area. I'd think putting a walkway in would be both trivial, and wouldn't impact the number of parking spots much now (if at all).
then again construction costs in general are rising in the double digits these next few years. Does this factor in that or was the price locked in from years ago?

i wonder how big the "enabling works" really is?
"Enabiling works" is a bit of a catch-all that can encompass lots of things, but in this case includes things like unearthing and moving utilities, grubbing, some track realignments and adjustments, landscaping where needed....basically, prepping the area ahead of the construction equipment that will be doing the final project installs. This way, the final project co just comes in and does what they need to do.

It seems high at first blush, but it also covers an area more than 3-times longer than the Stouffville project. If anything, Rutherford is the real outlier here, as that cost is for a SINGLE station, and not any substantial portion of the corridor.

Dan

Back