News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Soil was not the issue.

This was a design and built contract and it was felt this was the cheaper way to go.

Talking from someone who has done some geological studies of the area, the station sits on a sand-and-til base, which while drains nicely is not well suited to large-footprint buildings.

I haven't heard back from my buddy who is a structural engineer to verify this, but my understanding is that by making it cast-in-place they can design the whole building as a rigid cage, whereas it is difficult to do that with pre-cast.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Talking from someone who has done some geological studies of the area, the station sits on a sand-and-til base, which while drains nicely is not well suited to large-footprint buildings.

I haven't heard back from my buddy who is a structural engineer to verify this, but my understanding is that by making it cast-in-place they can design the whole building as a rigid cage, whereas it is difficult to do that with pre-cast.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The info comes from the contractor upper level for this project.

There were a number of issues with this project and why it has taken longer than plan. Some of the issues were in the designing and detail drawings.

As for the elevator, I stand to be corrected, but it went in 2009/10 after being delay almost a year due to various issues with the contractor and detail design. Anything more than 2 years is a few years.

I have photos of the work, but no idea where I have them at this time since they are on CD that I need to reinstall on the the various new large drives now on the system. This would tell me when it went in.

I don't know if this has been covered or not but I take it the Barrie Route will always be one way since it has only one track.

No, the Barrie route is able to be bi-directional. There is a passing siding just north of Maple Go Station which was used for the all day two way (weekend) service this past summer. The plan for the Barrie line is all day service to East Gwillimbury, which was the same this we had this summer, so the passing siding should be sufficient unless they want to increase frequencies. Even then they could probably just add another couple sidings as there isn't much traffic along the line other than GO, and they own it so they can do all the scheduling.

Doesn't seem to be much space at all in the stretch north of Lansdowne Station.

You can double track the Barrie line south of Dundas to north of of 407 with no problems at all. It was double track south of Lawrence at one time.

Doesn't seem to be much space at all in the stretch north of Lansdowne Station.

The right of way is more than wide enough. It may not look like it from say Google maps, but that's because of the overgrowth beside the tracks or in the case of the area just north of Lansdowne Station/Bloor street, an illegal garden that someone has grown directly adjacent to the main track. When the time comes for the second track all the shrubbery will be cleared. Every bridge along the line until Yonge st. in Aurora is wide enough to accommodate at least 2 tracks. Operating from the engine, the right of way looks wide enough to fit 3 or 4 tracks even in that location, not that they would ever need that many.

If you want a better idea on ROW widths, look at the City of Toronto's mapping tool - http://map.toronto.ca/imapit/iMapIt.jsp?app=TOMaps - zoom in and turn on Properties in the legend. Zoom in further and turn on the Aerial View from 2009 to see the ROW and the current track. Looks like space for 4 tracks easy north of Lansdowne. Zoom in further and use the ruler tool ... looks like a 21.8 m ROW. Anyone know what the rule of thumb is for how many tracks you can fit in? 4 seems doable.

Union-Kitchener Corridor update

Strachan
Saw next to no work on the new overpass for the grade separation on the 17th. Never got a look at the west end.

Wall forming still on going for the north wall.

Rebar has been place in a fair number of caisson for the south wall to the east.

The track bed has been graded to Bathurst St with work taking place for the north retaining wall.

West Toronto Diamond
Old Weston Rd closed again with no opening date for it, but should be in 2014.

Excavation has started north of the CP mainline and on both side of the Lampton track

Never looked at the south side of the CP main Line.

Forming of the east retaining wall is underway at the north end of the underpass as well the centre wall.

Black Creek Dr.
The plan bypass for this month will not happen until April from what I was seeing, as the new bridges are not ready. Then there is work taking place in the corridor south of the bridges.

Track 4 will be used for the bypass as only the steel bridge for track 2 is in place over Black Creek and no support piers in place south of it at this time. Track 3 is enclosed with work taking place for the decking on top of the steel bridge.

By having the bypass track on track 4, it will allow crews to work on track 1 & 2 without interfering with rail operation.

Dennison Rd Underpass
The CP Bridge is finish and CP should be able to relocate their track in the coming months. Looks like some excavation has taken place on both side of the bridges, with wall anchors being drill to help form the new retaining walls.

Weston Underpass

The bypass swings onto CP MacTier Sub just north of the Weston station. Excavation is underway for the underpass to the point King St is closed, but no work on removing it for the underpass at this time.

Weston Rd Bridge
The bypass runs in a straight line now to line up with the MacTier bypass track. Forming is taking place for the north east support wall. Some excavation is taking place to the east for the underpass.

Cannot see if any steel has shown up for the new bridges over the creek, but there is a bypass track in place to the west of it near Kipling. Have no idea why this bypass is in place as there is nothing going in this area that I know of, unless its has to do with the new tunnel for the golf course. I thought it was built and in place in the fall of 2011, since it was there at the end 2011. Will have to get over to Kipling to see what is taking place.

There is a meeting this Thursday for the Weston projects.

Photos will not be ready until late March for posting due to the backlog at this time.
8488732629_309c174b2b_b.jpg

Last edited:
The space for track 2 looks so tight in that picture. Maybe an illusion due to the north handrails on track 1.

It is tight now, but not when Track 1 is taken out of service in the coming months. The top of the existing bridge will be removed and be replace like track 3 & 4 is now, including track 2.

They still have to reinforce/tie in to the new piers for 3-4 so the new bridge can be place for track 2 over the creek.

Back