News   Jul 15, 2024
 149     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Yes, because the way GO's model operates right now is there's no point in raising frequencies if people can't get to the stations in the first place. And last mile service in suburbia is a bitch, as we all know.
Been a long time (over 5 years anyway) since I drove and parked at a GO station during the week.......the last mile (in some parts of Suburbia, I guess) is not an issue.

That said, it is not really an issue with GO’s model as much as an issue with local municipalities and public perception of “the bus”

Yes, because the way GO's model operates right now is there's no point in raising frequencies if people can't get to the stations in the first place. And last mile service in suburbia is a bitch, as we all know.

A change to paid parking should be accompanied by a boost in local transit to those stations, particularly on weekedays from 6am-8pm.

Coordinating this is important. If moving to priced parking induced even 10% of drivers to want to switch to transit to their local go station, service on several routes would likely need to double....or more.

You're not going to drive away everyone at even a station like Bloomingdale or Gormley if you introduce small parking fees (1-2$ per day, or an annual pass to park at the station for the equivalent), you will if you charge TTC-level parking fees.

You won't..........IF you have much better local transit in place............AND if you drop the price of a train trip by roughly the same amount as the new parking charge.

But you need both of those improvements to make the change work. That should be pursued. To be realistic, it should probably be phased in at 5-7 stations per year until the whole system shifts to a paid parking model.

To be realistic, it should probably be phased in at 5-7 stations per year until the whole system shifts to a paid parking model.
Though the best time to make the change would be when the the province keeps their promise about dropping fares to TTC levels and integrating fares. Which surely would be done simultaneously system-wide ... in a few decades at the current rates.

For the suburban/rural stations, its not just the issue of improving local transit in Barrie, Aurora or the built-up part of Stouffville. These stations are also fed by people who live in places like Goodwood, Cannington, Utopia, Orillia and all the concessions, sideroads and hamlets in between. GO bus feeder routes might help, but for many rural and suburban passengers, the last mile will always realistically be the vehicle.

For the suburban/rural stations, its not just the issue of improving local transit in Barrie, Aurora or the built-up part of Stouffville. These stations are also fed by people who live in places like Goodwood, Cannington, Utopia, Orillia and all the concessions, sideroads and hamlets in between. GO bus feeder routes might help, but for many rural and suburban passengers, the last mile will always realistically be the vehicle.
I can speak from experience that for example, a station like Oshawa has many users from places like Port Hope/Cobourg, Lindsay, Campbellford and Colborne. Many places that have connecting bus service (Bowmanville, Peterborough) still have people drive to Oshawa Station due to inconvenient times and the attitude of bus being less worthy than train.

Feb 16
This at Jarvis St
46226475355_e6f1c54261_b.jpg

47088426012_d9ae7a36bf_b.jpg

46226471705_ba2dcb3268_b.jpg

^Note how the wells between the concrete pads line up with the ports on the signalling trench. So yeah, I would guess signalling, which can be some combination of control infrastructure and telecom, plus some amount of power supply for switches signals and switch heaters.

- Paul

From the rumour mill, I've heard that the City of Guelph is looking to move Locomotive 6167 to Guelph Junction. If true, it looks like Metrolinx is thinking of building a south platform for Guelph Central.

More here:
City would get lots of notice if Locomotive 6167 ever needs moving
The city would have plenty of notice if and when it ever has to relocate Locomotive 6167, the decommissioned steam train engine that has called Guelph home since 1967.

A new agreement with Metrolinx, the provincial government agency that owns the land on Farquhar Street that the train sits on, says the city would be given two years notice if Metrolinx needs that property to build a platform on the south side of the tracks.

The previous agreement said the city would need only 60 days notice.

Deputy CAO Colleen Clack said no notice has been given and it’s not known if or when any will be given.

“We are certainly giving thought to what our options are if and when, but we don’t even know if they’re going to give us notice because it all comes down to when they’re building that south platform,” Clack said.

“The two-year clock hasn’t even begun yet.”

A south platform would likely be needed if and when all-day GO Train service comes to Guelph.

“There was always an agreement that we would have to relocate it if and when they needed that space for construction of a south platform, but the previous agreement was a 60-day notice, which obviously caused us some concern because that’s not a lot of time to move something that large,” Clack said.

The 78-year-old locomotive, which is officially a Guelph Museums exhibit, sits on leased land on Farquhar Street, just south of the train and bus hub.

It was moved there in 2010 after being relocated from the north side of the tracks, where it had sat since coming to Guelph in 1967.

“We’re keeping it in the back of our minds as we do planning move forward, what might we consider? but we’re not actively pursuing properties, locations or where to move it to because we don’t know if we have to.”

From the rumour mill, I've heard that the City of Guelph is looking to move Locomotive 6167 to Guelph Junction. If true, it looks like Metrolinx is thinking of building a south platform for Guelph Central.

More here:
Whoa! To put this in perspective though, and from my five years in Guelph and seeing it moved to the present location, it's present location always was tentative. Guelph has a pretty active Rail Buff community, and Guelph itself is very community oriented, so I'm sure a place will be found for it, perhaps even on the Guelph Junction Railway by the River Run.

Many thanks for the 'heads-up' on that, it's been a few days since I've checked Guelph's news.

More here:
The city would have plenty of notice if and when it ever has to relocate Locomotive 6167, the decommissioned steam train engine that has called Guelph home since 1967.

A new agreement with Metrolinx, the provincial government agency that owns the land on Farquhar Street that the train sits on, says the city would be given two years notice if Metrolinx needs that property to build a platform on the south side of the tracks.

The previous agreement said the city would need only 60 days notice.

Deputy CAO Colleen Clack said no notice has been given and it’s not known if or when any will be given.

“We are certainly giving thought to what our options are if and when, but we don’t even know if they’re going to give us notice because it all comes down to when they’re building that south platform,” Clack said.

“The two-year clock hasn’t even begun yet.”

A south platform would likely be needed if and when all-day GO Train service comes to Guelph.

“There was always an agreement that we would have to relocate it if and when they needed that space for construction of a south platform, but the previous agreement was a 60-day notice, which obviously caused us some concern because that’s not a lot of time to move something that large,” Clack said.

The 78-year-old locomotive, which is officially a Guelph Museums exhibit, sits on leased land on Farquhar Street, just south of the train and bus hub.

It was moved there in 2010 after being relocated from the north side of the tracks, where it had sat since coming to Guelph in 1967.

“We’re keeping it in the back of our minds as we do planning move forward, what might we consider? but we’re not actively pursuing properties, locations or where to move it to because we don’t know if we have to.”
This is what frustrates people about government thinking.

Guelph: We want to encourage all day two way service......we know that that can only happen if this train/museum moves.....we know the current location is temporary and leased......but, nah, we aren't actually looking for a permanent location for it because, who knows, we might never get that kind of GO expansion and we might not have to move it..... and, because we are not proactively moving it, when you do want us to move it we will need more notice....how about, say, 2 year's notice?

Feb 03
McNicoll Ave crossing is double track as well Passmore Ave. Track 1 stops short of the switch north of . Looks like a 3rd track well south of McNicoll.

Precast panels for the tunnel on site at Millikan GO Station. Good chunk of station platform have steel plates. Tracks 1 are being relocated north of the station for the new shoofly track on the west side of the corridor. The shoofly track will require the removal of the west side gates and signals and hydro poles. The existing walkway has been shifted west and only connect to Steeles at the entrance of the Splendid China Mall, requiring a longer walk to the street and bus stop. Sidewalk a lake from the snow.

More up on site

46063071585_5e919c0c59_b.jpg
Given the amount of pedestrian traffic and the demographics, I am surprised there hasn't been a personal injury at this crossing (at least one that I can recall). I am glad this level crossing will be gone within a few years.

Given the amount of pedestrian traffic and the demographics, I am surprised there hasn't been a personal injury at this crossing (at least one that I can recall). I am glad this level crossing will be gone within a few years.
They say that the gates are down, but there aren't gates for pedestrians though. ?

Back