News   Jul 16, 2024
 300     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 614     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I rode the Stouffville line today and got a look at progress on the double tracking. Lots getting done and more workers on site doing more tasks than I have seen to date.
The line is close to being ready for tracklaying from McNicholl down to the first crossing north of Agincourt. I thought I saw footings at that crossing for new CTC bungalows, which made me think that it might be possible to open double tracking from there northwards by next summer. Lots going on between there and Kennedy, but some of the longer lead time items - pilings and bridgework, and Agincourt station itself - are still at an early stage so eighteen months or more for that.
Lastly, no progress whatsoever south of Kennedy. We won’t see reduced 2 way headways until that piece is tackled - easily 30 months and beyond. Havent heard whether they have a plan for Scarboro Jct yet, either.
But overall it’s great to see shovels in the ground and so much accomplished along this route.

- Paul

I rode the Stouffville line today and got a look at progress on the double tracking. Lots getting done and more workers on site doing more tasks than I have seen to date.
The line is close to being ready for tracklaying from McNicholl down to the first crossing north of Agincourt. I thought I saw footings at that crossing for new CTC bungalows, which made me think that it might be possible to open double tracking from there northwards by next summer. Lots going on between there and Kennedy, but some of the longer lead time items - pilings and bridgework, and Agincourt station itself - are still at an early stage so eighteen months or more for that.
Lastly, no progress whatsoever south of Kennedy. We won’t see reduced 2 way headways until that piece is tackled - easily 30 months and beyond. Havent heard whether they have a plan for Scarboro Jct yet, either.
But overall it’s great to see shovels in the ground and so much accomplished along this route.

- Paul
Once they double track between McNichol and Kennedy they can at least do 30-min AD2W?

I presume full midday service requires complete double tracking.

I presume full midday service requires complete double tracking.

They run midday trains now, there is enough passing capacity for hourly service. The double track will enable better headways than that. But they don’t need complete double tracking to get to say 30 minute 2 way service.

The big constraint at the moment is actually when the peak service is running, because there isn’t any capacity to run in the opposite direction against a fleet of closer-spaced trains. At present midday service can’t start until the last rush hour train has reached Scarboro, and it has to finish before the first rush hour train comes out of downtown. So there are gaps in the schedule. It will take the full double tracking to remedy this.

Even more important, rush hour trains can’t double back to make a second run at rush hour. They do their one trip to Lincolnville and park for the night. That is very expensive, because it takes twice as many trains (at say $40M a trainset) to operate the service. The double tracking will improve the fleet efficiency dramatically.

- Paul

They specifically dont want to add any more service on Stouffville or Barrie or Kitchener right now until the current work is done. I guess construction crews (well their unions and the company heads) were complaining about safety and what not working while adding more service, especially weekend service.

Back