News   Jul 16, 2024
 295     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 493     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 612     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

It's apparent that they're not even serious about addressing legitimate and crucial questions.

The apt answer would have been: "Mr Speaker, it's still very early in our mandate, and this special Summer session has us with few answers to the legitimate question of the honourable member, but we will look into getting an answer and supply it to the member and to this legislature. I ask the honourable member to submit the question to me in writing, I will respond in kind, and I'll have an update for the next sitting session for all members to hear."

But hey, those would be the words of someone who really cared...
This does harken back to an era not that long ago. I wish that more care and thoughtfulness would return to public discourse. Use your voices, folks. It is better than a poll. If you took the time to write, you must be exercised.

Also, I noticed at Willowbrook Yard what look to be about 3 bridge girders located on the VIA side, and some transport trucks (I also saw them on a previous trip, sorry I couldn't get a shot). Also, there were three flatcars or four flatcars looking like they were going to be loaded int the future. They looked way to large and substantial to be for the CIBC Square Park. No idea what they could be for, maybe the forum cold shed some light on what they are. I'll try to get a shot on Saturday. Very strange, I wasn't aware of any bridge replacements in the near future.

They are starting to stage components for the impending Humber Bridge repair work later this year.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

A bunch of rail ties piled up in the Lincolnville parking lot on Thursday, presumably for its impending expansion.

IMG_1435.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 499
Last edited by a moderator:
These aren't rail ties. They are used to create mini retaining walls. These are the same as the ones used at Union for the extended platforms.
They are also being use on the Bramalea Station expansion and most likely for the Mililken Station expansion. Also for other New stations on the Stouffville Line or to be rebuilt.

Noticed some track equipment on the abandoned spur between Torbram and 407 this afternoon and a Railworks truck sitting by the crossing at Torbram this afternoon.

Some more good news for the Kitchener one:

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/8765907-more-overnight-metrolinx-work-coming-to-guelph/

More work to improve rail lines in Guelph is expected to get underway next week.

Starting Aug. 3, Metrolinx will be doing overnight work near the Alma Street rail crossing. Weather permitting, that work is expected to last until Aug. 8.

“On these dates residents may notice noise from the machinery and some ambient light from the site. The volume, frequency and pitch of backup beepers are regulated by law and cannot be altered, as they act as a vital safety measure,” a post on the city’s website reads.

“Their use will be limited to essential work only. We will also mitigate any light necessary by pointing away from residential areas.”

The work near the Alma crossing is the latest project in Guelph this year by Metrolinx in an effort to improve the GO Transit Kitchener line. Those improvements, according to the post on the city’s website, will increase train speeds and ensure train safety through Guelph.

Some more good news for the Kitchener one:

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/8765907-more-overnight-metrolinx-work-coming-to-guelph/

More work to improve rail lines in Guelph is expected to get underway next week.

Starting Aug. 3, Metrolinx will be doing overnight work near the Alma Street rail crossing. Weather permitting, that work is expected to last until Aug. 8.

“On these dates residents may notice noise from the machinery and some ambient light from the site. The volume, frequency and pitch of backup beepers are regulated by law and cannot be altered, as they act as a vital safety measure,” a post on the city’s website reads.

“Their use will be limited to essential work only. We will also mitigate any light necessary by pointing away from residential areas.”

The work near the Alma crossing is the latest project in Guelph this year by Metrolinx in an effort to improve the GO Transit Kitchener line. Those improvements, according to the post on the city’s website, will increase train speeds and ensure train safety through Guelph.

That whole line, the "GEXR" (although they dont own it now) needs tons of work, especially the part from London to Kitchener for the Via Train. Trains crawl along it now.

I am observing construction sites for Hamilton-related construction, to see what new is happening:

The only way to successfully push 2WAD to Niagara Falls (at least St Catharines, unless Ford wants to do the $750M Welland Canal grade separation). Is send trains through the West Harbour track extended as a third track all the way to Confederation GO station. This avoid freight train conflicts as freight owns the tracks that bypasses West Harbour. This trackbuilding was planned in the previous government too.

I see freight trains reversing back and fourth (repositioning between railyard tracks), consuming the freight tracks. So, the no-brainer is extend the spur track of West Harbour GO station -- turning West Harbour into a through-station. So any 2WAD rail from Toronto to anywhere near Niagara, automatically includes massively increased service to West Harbour GO. No cheaper way around it.

2WAD is doable to St. Catharines with most of the existing EAs, studies, and construction under way. But Niagara Falls 2WAD will require $750M extra -- just for one extra stop. Ouch.

So in lieu of that add 2WAD GO buses between StCat and Niagara Falls for offpeak (midday, evenings, and weekends). That excuses Ford from a $750M expense (which Ford probably would balk at) necessary to get 2WAD one extra stop further. All-day GO bus service can start initially to Niagara Falls -- much like the "one stop" GO bus trip between Aldershot and Hamilton -- but a faster/shorter bus trip.

Result: 2WAD to Niagara Falls using only already committed funds + minor funding enhancements.

Certainly the money already spent (the rightfully overbuilt Confederation bridge, the now-active Lewis Yard with lots of expansion room, the underused West Harbour GO) means 2WAD will suddenly utilize a lot of already-built assets in addition to new construction.

Toronto-Hamilton-Niagara service was eventually going to happen anyway just based on the sheer funds spent already. Of a sudden, Ford is encouraging that corridor along. Think of what the best benefits happen for everyone regardless of who we voted for -- more ridership, more transit, hopefully electrification (At least to Burlington or Hamilton). And need more peak train capacity at Union to fill the extra trains caused by the Lakeshore West extension all the way to Niagara Falls.

Transit connections to these stations will also need to massively improve (Especially StCat GO, Niagara GO, West Harbour GO, and Confederation GO).

That said, I really hope all routes in the original RER is electrified. Perhaps "GO RER" rebranded as "GO Metro" to satisfy Ford -- A rebranding exercise would be much better than automatically cancelling a lot of planned electrification.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping an eye on Hamilton construction movements since they're unavoidably essential to Niagara 2WAD -- the GO trains ends up go through Hamilton. Worth watching to see what happens to Hamilton as a side effect of Niagara 2WAD plan accelerations.

Last edited:
Good summary mdrejhon. I'd also add that terminating in St Catharines would open up the potential to send GO bus service to Welland (and potentially Port Colborne) as well. It would also be nice if the Niagara GO bus also made some kind of stop at the actual hotel strip, instead of just the Park N Ride and the Via Station, which is still quite far from the centre of Niagara Falls.

Good summary mdrejhon. I'd also add that terminating in St Catharines would open up the potential to send GO bus service to Welland (and potentially Port Colborne) as well. It would also be nice if the Niagara GO bus also made some kind of stop at the actual hotel strip, instead of just the Park N Ride and the Via Station, which is still quite far from the centre of Niagara Falls.

Niagara Region already has bus service from St Kitts to Welland and Niagara. I would hope that any future change would include moving the bus terminal 2 km to the train station and adjusting the schedule so that everything is integrated.

Back