News   Jul 15, 2024
 759     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 914     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

On Sunday coming south on the SRT south of Lawrence, about 40% of the new sound barrier up with gaps in them. Some of the gaps are caused by the land owners since they have built things in Metrolinx corridor that will have to be remove before rest of the barrier can be install. A few have gabzbeo roof overhanging the barrier wall and in the way to complete them.

Give some land owners an inch and they take yards to build gardens the full width of the lot.

The retaining wall at the creek is built.

No way a platform can be built at Lawrence to service 2 tracks until the SRT is remove. Even a single side platform with 2 tracks is going to be hard unless its south of the overpass by 200'

Any evidence of preparation to tie in the new track at the junction with CP?

- Paul

IIRC, the southeastern-most (third) track that starts at Bayview Junction and merges with CP's main line ~300m later is actually owned by Metrolinx. I'm sure the signalling is still something to fiddle with though.

IIRC, the southeastern-most (third) track that starts at Bayview Junction and merges with CP's main line ~300m later is actually owned by Metrolinx. I'm sure the signalling is still something to fiddle with though.

Now, that raises an interesting question. Other than lines GO owns outright eg LSE east of Durham Jct, I have never heard any mention of GO holding title to anything track related that is built by CP/CN on railroad property.
There must be dividing lines....eg surely CN doesn’t own Aldershot station, but do they still own the land that the platforms sit on?
I would have thought the track materials and signalling are CN’s property, maintained and operated under CN’s control.
My understanding is that CN contracts with ML to operate the line, conditional on GO paying CN to upgrade its line to deliver the capacity required. All Go gets is an invoice, not ownership to anything - plus a contract committing CN to provide some level of track access, plus or minus the railway’s right to put freight first.
I wonder who owns that new bridge for the third track?

- Paul

Last edited:

It was paid for by GO, but they don't own it. It's purpose is to allow a GO train to be staged off of either mainline. I believe that it is owned by CN as it's tied into CN's signalling system.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited:
May 27
Just finish up load a huge batch of Photos for the Stouffville Line with many locations I haven't visited before.

Not sure if there is a crossover north of Steeles and if so, the current main line that connect to the new Track 1 on the north side of Steeles to the #2 track.

No idea what side of Steeles will be used as a temporary road for Steeles during the grade separation, but the south side is the best option and will requiring buildings been torn down for it as well the new station platform.

New #1 track in place at the Milliken Station as well crossing Steeles, but needs work.

The current Milliken Station track swings over to the #1 track south of the platform and the swings back to the current location south of Passmore with 2 tracks crossing Passmore. 2 3 light mast in place at Passmore, as well a 4 one, but not hookup yet. All new track work that I could see, have precast ties.

Track panels off to the side at McNicoll and can see New #1 track connecting to the current line north of the industrial siding switch.

Not sure how much closer the current line can get next to the current SRT Station at Lawrence, but real tight to get a centre platform in under Lawrence , if at all. Work taking place to the north and hard to see what taking place there.
41847907604_8f5a99e26a_b.jpg

41847925854_9cebcd8342_b.jpg

41668629345_113493e5d3_b.jpg

42518357942_f277875308_b.jpg

42518359262_ca2e54232b_b.jpg

28692153978_6f58289aed_b.jpg

42514017622_30cd81f8c5_b.jpg

42514026072_6677bd7134_b.jpg

41664645045_3f3614538d_b.jpg

41664647585_eb116d3151_b.jpg

27696048777_25f6007b4c_b.jpg

28692193398_a0e2f80fa4_b.jpg

41843459334_9480ec8a9f_b.jpg

41664556075_88f57a93fc_b.jpg

At Eglinton Ave
42565826981_887691e774_b.jpg

42513947442_7c2d41f4bd_b.jpg

May 27
Just finish up load a huge batch of Photos for the Stouffville Line with many locations I haven't visited before.

Not sure if there is a crossover north of Steeles and if so, the current main line that connect to the new Track 1 on the north side of Steeles to the #2 track.

There is a crossover/interlocking immediately north of Kennedy Rd. It's called Underhill, and it is the current south end of the double track. It was completed to the full complement of switches and signals when it was built a couple of years ago, so tying it in will be a relative piece-of-cake.

No idea what side of Steeles will be used as a temporary road for Steeles during the grade separation, but the south side is the best option and will requiring buildings been torn down for it as well the new station platform.

I thought I saw that the original staging plan was to the north, but they may have re-thought that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There is a crossover/interlocking immediately north of Kennedy Rd. It's called Underhill, and it is the current south end of the double track. It was completed to the full complement of switches and signals when it was built a couple of years ago, so tying it in will be a relative piece-of-cake.

Underwood?

The track is coming together nicely southwards from there, but the question is, where is the next junction to the south and what stands in the way of completing all the way to that? Not much progress at Agincourt station, and the bridges over the various creek beds are long lead items. It may be a while before much of that track gets shiny.

And, the Kennedy- Scarborough single track section places a limit on how frequent trains can run bidirectionally. Need to see forward progress on that segment.

All this progress is great, but I wish we knew the critcal path tasks for putting each segment in service and had a TCD for these.

- Paul

Looks like they're planning 5 tracks through Exhibition GO.

Widened central pedestrian tunnel + a second pedestrian tunnel + much better Liberty Village access.

And I agree with:

"The experience of being among the crowds going to events at The Ex can be exciting without feeling anxious, especially when there is light at the end of the tunnel."

^shocking that the "quick wins" does not even mention the opening of the extension of the tunnel that is already built on the north side

^Letting a contract for design in 2019, and completion in 2023, doesn't fit in my definition of "quick wins". Of course, a lot of variables (electrification being one, the alignment of the fifth track being another) need to be confirmed before anything can happen.

It's only a conceptual study. The construction work may be done in time for a Stanley Cup Victory Parade. I suppose that's progress.

- Paul

^Letting a contract for design in 2019, and completion in 2023, doesn't fit in my definition of "quick wins". Of course, a lot of variables (electrification being one, the alignment of the fifth track being another) need to be confirmed before anything can happen.

The one thing that can be done immediately(ish) is open up the tunnel extension already built to the new shelter on the north side.....a bit of signage (and time) and soon enough that extension will be used by people going to/from Liberty Village and the stairways on the right and left will serve the people going to/from the westbound platform......you will get an immediate increase the throughput capacity of the existing tunnel.....or you can leave up the green hording and plan to improve things in 2023!

Back