News   Jul 15, 2024
 684     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 863     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 623     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The tunnel to Dundas West wouldn't go all the way to Dundas Street. The existing platform extends to the east, to about the first 'n' of Union Pearson Express Bloor Station.

Shift the new line slightly further west, and it might be a reasonable walk.

They keep repeating "we will build the tunnel", but gone no where, other than talk. Talk talk and talk.

Who does? Both the TTC and GO have long felt that a tunnel is not an option for any number of different reasons, not the least of which is cost/benefit.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Trackwork on the LSE today at Danforth on Track 1. They are replacing the wood ties with concrete ties through the station.
I'm curious -- while I like concrete ties when properly done -- why did they replace currently-functioning wooden ties with concrete ties "at this particular instant"?

I'm curious, since it's a major work-phasing thing -- and there's so many priorities -- so clearly, it appears they needed to do it at this juncture. Address some kind of a "slow order" problem (improve track characteristics) or maintenance window (wooden ties were starting to fall apart) or manpower convenience (we are installing new tracks, let's replace these too)?

Because of extreme heat, that work was postponed to overnight and may end up disrupting morning rush service.

https://twitter.com/femwriter/status/912105416422813697

The tweet was actually for the construction of the second mainline at Rouge Hill. As of midnight they were still working on finishing it up. Danforth was completed well before then.

Edit: So it turns out that they couldn't even finish it up overnight, either. According to their website, Lakeshore East trains are currently running hourly.

I'm curious -- while I like concrete ties when properly done -- why did they replace currently-functioning wooden ties with concrete ties "at this particular instant"?

I'm curious, since it's a major work-phasing thing -- and there's so many priorities -- so clearly, it appears they needed to do it at this juncture. Address some kind of a "slow order" problem (improve track characteristics) or maintenance window (wooden ties were starting to fall apart) or manpower convenience (we are installing new tracks, let's replace these too)?

Because of the space constraints, it's generally easier to replace the whole stretch of track at the stations in one go rather than change out individual ties as they do on the rest of the main. Of course, the downside of this is that they need to pull the track out of service for a weekend, whereas elsewhere they can do tie replacements on the fly without any interruption to service.

As for why concrete ties? Because that's Metrolinx's new mainline standard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Curious, but: Is Metrolinx's new mainline standard now Class 6 (110mph) or Class 7 (125mph)?

There is no such thing as "Class 7" track in Canada. Transport Canada only recognizes up to Class 6, and even that is an extremely recent occurrence.

In any case, it appears that the standard is capable of meeting Class 5.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Perhaps if we terminate the DRL West at a new underground station inbetween the new Barrie line GO station and Bloor GO station. Make it part of one project and create a mega-station with inter modal access to everything.
The Barrie line platform isn't going (right now) where you drew it.

Also re: Main, bear in mind the current GO plotting to move the station ~300m east, although we don't yet know where a TTC second exit for Main might end up - maybe that ends up east too. An access under the laneway between the highrises and the current Canadian Tire parking lot might be somewhere a tunnel could be pushed through. Not convenient for surface route connections through, and likely takes a chunk out of Coleman Park which would presumably be unpopular.

I have seen ties number 1-6 and keep on repeating for X distance.

When they were laying Ion track on the Waterloo spur there was an excavator with a special 'robot arm' attachment that picked up several ties at a time off a stack, spread them out to the necessary spacing (the southbound track shared with GEXR freight has tighter spacing than the LRT only track), then placed them on the ballast. I bet it was 6 at a time.

Edit to add: Yup, it was 6, found my cell snap:

37300847432_449b362b87_o.jpg

IMG_20160704_125253 by Kevin T, on Flickr

Last edited:
I wonder if there is anywhere that they could use something like this to replace ties on the lines for go transit.

They use mechanised equipment extensively. It isn't always possible to do so in the stations, because the platforms restrict the clearances down at the track/tie level, and the machinery (which is designed for the open road) may not fit.

- Paul

Back