News   Aug 15, 2024
 343     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 530     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 673     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

So, we have the crosstown thread with 10 minute off-peak frequencies where folks are complaining the shelters are inadequate; and we have this thread with 15 minute off-peak frequencies where folks are saying the shelters are too much.

Seems what's actually getting built must be somewhere in the middle of too much and too little.
Did I say it is too much? I just questioned the logic that what was driving the full platform shelter was the increased service levels. I just thought (think) that if there is a "need" for full platform shelters it is likely moreso when frequencies are low and waits are long....so I figured it is not the increased service level that is driving it....it must be something else....and then went on to suggest what I thought the something else was.

Last edited:
So, we have the crosstown thread with 10 minute off-peak frequencies where folks are complaining the shelters are inadequate; and we have this thread with 15 minute off-peak frequencies where folks are saying the shelters are too much.

Seems what's actually getting built must be somewhere in the middle of too much and too little.

Just to be clear, I was simply asking for more details on the rationale. I wasn't suggesting it was too much or too little.

I love the render people hanging around a GO Station, because of course, a GO Station parking lot is the place to be in central Vaughan.

I'd rather see a more realistic render of the mad dash of "commuters and families" to their cars in the futile attempt to make it out of the station first.

With a relatively big structure like the parking garage, why not incorporate cafes, bakeries, and retail along the walkways? That way, people would linger like in the rendering. Metrolinx would get revenue to offset station operating costs. The community would get more amenities. People would be less car dependent. Such amenities would enhance the station's sense of place, make transit more convenient and attractive, and enhance the value of the station in the community.

With a relatively big structure like the parking garage, why not incorporate cafes, bakeries, and retail along the walkways? That way, people would linger like in the rendering. Metrolinx would get revenue to offset station operating costs. The community would get more amenities. People would be less car dependent. Such amenities would enhance the station's sense of place, make transit more convenient and attractive, and enhance the value of the station in the community.

No one would choose to linger at a GO parking garage unless the retail is super compelling and dovetail with the needs of the population using it - plus the way Metrolinx develop their garages and position it on their property is about as urban friendly as your neighbourhood big box store (at best). If you are a retailer that fits - what's the reason would you choose to locate to that kind of a site (where most of the parking is taken up 9-5) with the reduced flexibility?

AoD

No one would choose to linger at a GO parking garage unless the retail is super compelling and dovetail with the needs of the population using it - plus the way Metrolinx develop their garages and position it on their property is about as urban friendly as your neighbourhood big box store (at best). If you are a retailer that fits - what's the reason would you choose to locate to that kind of a site (where most of the parking is taken up 9-5) with the reduced flexibility?

AoD

If there's a landscaped plaza with outdoor seating, people could grab a coffee and drink it in the plaza while waiting for their train. They'd spend time in the retail spaces. If the station and site are attractive in general, people from the community would come out to linger there. There are so many possibilities for community building if you incorporate retail and high-quality landscaping. Retailers would get dedicated parking spaces and proximity to local bus routes and the community.

From the IO website:

Rutherford_Station_Rendering1.png

Parking garages

upload_2017-5-10_12-30-40.jpeg

It was necessary a decade ago. I have lost two team members in a year who can't take the southbound crush in the morning. Both female milenials who decided that the commute was taking a toll. This is ridiculous.

Does that mean you're hiring? ;)

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-10_12-30-40.jpeg
    upload_2017-5-10_12-30-40.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 285
Yeah, digging a utility ditch. This is like del Duca announcing Tim Hortons at GO stations - utterly non-substantive at a big picture level.
No, this is useful. This is notifying people, particularly neighbours (there's a lot of condos overlooking that station) of what all the noise in the middle of the night is about.

The Tim Hortons thing ... or even worse, that a handful of Shoppers Drugmarts in the city will have Presto Cards in addition to the usual TTC media, is not very useful.

No, this is useful. This is notifying people, particularly neighbours (there's a lot of condos overlooking that station) of what all the noise in the middle of the night is about.

The Tim Hortons thing ... or even worse, that a handful of Shoppers Drugmarts in the city will have Presto Cards in addition to the usual TTC media, is not very useful.

Like I have said - big picture level - i.e. Informing the timeline of improvements to Exhibition - which it did not offer. This is a community notice.

AoD

That's damn right.
If they are going brag publicly about building tunnels fast....they deserve to be mocked publicly when they don't. (in reality, people will follow them on twitter that don't follow their work that closely....and allowing them to brag unchallenged paints (IMO) a false picture in the minds of many people who won't know about the Exhibitions and Burlingtons)

If they are going brag publicly about building tunnels fast....they deserve to be mocked publicly when they don't. (in reality, people will follow them on twitter that don't follow their work that closely....and allowing them to brag unchallenged paints (IMO) a false picture in the minds of many people who won't know about the Exhibitions and Burlingtons)

Not just the two weeks vs. 3+ years difference - but how many use the stations and in what manner?

AoD

sure......but that goes to prioritizing projects.....not their ability to complete them

Not necessarily - rapid completion of a project is a matter of priority in and on itself. The question can also be whether they cared enough cut through whatever is going on to give it enough priority so that the job gets done quickly.

AoD

Back