News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 671     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Anything that promotes an well connected transit hub, for today and tomorrow, is definitely worth it IMO.

All in good time. The point where this connection makes sense is when GO is upgrading the Richmond Hill line to RER standards. Right now it's a pretty hard proposition to build ridership with.

- Paul

Anything that promotes an well connected transit hub, for today and tomorrow, is definitely worth it IMO.

But at what cost?

If the cost is "only" a million dollars or two - than you know what, yeah, it's probably a good investment even for a couple of dozen riders daily.

But if the costs are verging towards a hundred million, than unless it can be shown that ridership and/or connections between the two lines will drastically increase, I would think that there are far better things to spend money on right now.

Connections are great if they are actually used. But with limited funds, I think that it would be prudent to be rational about it, too.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

But what would simply shifting the platforms cost in the meantime? Or the additional cost of a pedestrian walkway over Esther Shine using the existing foundation (which I think is there for an additional track).

They are about to demolish the existing station - perhaps now is the time.

But at what cost?

If the cost is "only" a million dollars or two - than you know what, yeah, it's probably a good investment even for a couple of dozen riders daily.

But if the costs are verging towards a hundred million, than unless it can be shown that ridership and/or connections between the two lines will drastically increase, I would think that there are far better things to spend money on right now.

Connections are great if they are actually used. But with limited funds, I think that it would be prudent to be rational about it, too.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Exactly, agreed. And I'm willing to put money on it being cheaper.

But if Metrolinx has studies and figures that contradict that, please, I welcome them to present the evidence!

They're going to demolish the building, not the rest of the infrastructure at the station.
Not sure what other infrastructure there is of note, other than the platform, and a few shelters. The platform would still be partially used - and the parking/access road would be unchanged.

They've had no problem shifting the Exhibition platform back and forth similar distances during the rebuild.

BTW, was just looking in Streetview, and it matches my memory - they built the rail bridge over Esther Shiner Blvd., ready to expand and drop another span in. Though not enough width for a platform as well.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7690...S13SGEF5uqhR3z-vVJ1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Could drop a temporary pedestrian span in there without too much expense I'd figure. How much did those temporary bailey bridges for pedestrians west of Strachan cost?

Not sure what other infrastructure there is of note, other than the platform, and a few shelters. The platform would still be partially used - and the parking/access road would be unchanged.

Phone, water/sewer, industrial power in/local power out, glycol if they've fitted the heated platforms, possibly natural gas....

They've had no problem shifting the Exhibition platform back and forth similar distances during the rebuild.

That's because they were putting in a temporary wood-and-asphalt platform for a season or two. Moving the platform permanently is a bigger job, although certainly not a deal-breaker by any stretch of the imagination.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The Exhibition platform still has two accessible boarding areas, and it looks 600 meters long now -- twice as long.

Have they double-berthed two trains on the same track at Exhibition GO yet during an event?

The Exhibition platform still has two accessible boarding areas, and it looks 600 meters long now -- twice as long.

Have they double-berthed two trains on the same track at Exhibition GO yet during an event?

Only one area is accessible to passengers, the other half is fenced off despite still being physically intact. Sadly for TFC fans, no trains have double-berthed.

Only one area is accessible to passengers, the other half is fenced off despite still being physically intact. Sadly for TFC fans, no trains have double-berthed.
They probably can't for safety reasons as the don't have signaling in place for it like they do for track there at union station

The first thing they should do for passenger safety/movement at the ex is finish the tunnel extension on the north side.....if they could open that up (and to untrained eyes it seems real close) even without the new track it would allow free flow of people going to Liberty Village going "straight through" and people headed for westbound trains going left of right (talking about the northbound flow of people in tunnel...primarily after events).

The whole thing seems to have stalled....and whatever the delays on finishing the entire station project are....this is one that could be completed in advance of that.

The first thing they should do for passenger safety/movement at the ex is finish the tunnel extension on the north side.....if they could open that up (and to untrained eyes it seems real close) even without the new track it would allow free flow of people going to Liberty Village going "straight through" and people headed for westbound trains going left of right (talking about the northbound flow of people in tunnel...primarily after events).

The whole thing seems to have stalled....and whatever the delays on finishing the entire station project are....this is one that could be completed in advance of that.

Fully agree that this project seems to have stalled and be dragging. What's the expected opening date now?

Fully agree that this project seems to have stalled and be dragging. What's the expected opening date now?

The regional transit agency said it’s working on a permanent fix, which might include options such as a wider tunnel or an additional access way.

“We’re looking at all of that to make it easier for people,” said Aikins.

But before Metrolinx does that, the agency said its’ priority is electrifying that stretch of the GO rail line. Aikins said work to alleviate the strain on the Exhibition GO station tunnel will begin some time after that.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3099205/c...on-go-station-tunnel-due-to-bmo-field-events/

Have they even provided an update beyond this one late last year? Travelling through everyday, work on the site looks like it has pretty much stopped.

AoD

Back