News   Jul 30, 2024
 877     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 641     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

This is almost beyond capacity (with an optimized signal system) to electrify 15-minutes to Bayview. Except for a grade separation (or two). They can always do the grade separation later.

More capacity from Burlington to West Harbour would also help Hamilton all-day service to either station -- or even both.

Within 25 years (or so), we likely need to electrify to the U.S. border anyway. At least all-day electrification to St. Catharines as it booms. Hamilton's population is projected to grow 40% to 780,000 by 2041.

The 15-min Burlington/Aldershot could someday (by 2041-ish) split to 30-min Hamilton Downtown / 30-min StCat (before Welland canal grade separation) once the population warrants, to avoid freeway expansion.

Big expensive problem is grade separating electrification from freight, and possible eventual Hamilton CN waterfront railyard relocation to one of the Hamilton industrial piers.

They seem up to something we don't know yet. Electrification is probably being protected-for of the master plan. The Bay bridge rebuild in Hamilton, raised it to almost exactly BiLevel electrification clearance requirements.

It's too bad the province wants to do HSR between Toronto and London through KW. Going through Aldershot would have been a big motivator.

It's too bad the province wants to do HSR between Toronto and London through KW. Going through Aldershot would have been a big motivator.
I think you missed their point.....KW has the tech "cool factor" going for it....the Murray HSR plan was never "HSR to London thru KW".....it was "HSR from KW to Toronto" and then it got back of the envelope extended to London.

As a Bramptonian I have come to the conlusion that our only hope of actually getting the attention and rail service we need is to acknowledge that we sit between KW and Toronto and we should do everything we can to support the KW cool factor and hope that someone decides the odd train here or there will stop in Brampton....I would suggest to Londonites that they do the same and just hope the odd train gets extended into London.

It's too bad the province wants to do HSR between Toronto and London
Waldo has been found, Collenette has not.

Edit to Add:
Just up:
Minister Del Duca and Mayors signal support for regional transit centre at Toronto Pearson

TORONTO, April 4, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, at an event hosted by the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA), Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca and local mayors, including Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie, Toronto Mayor John Tory, Brampton Mayor Linda Jeffrey and Kitchener Mayor Berry Vrbanovic, were at Toronto Pearson to learn about the airport's transit vision. The GTAA shared new research that further supports a proposal for a regional transit centre located at Toronto Pearson, serving as a second major mobility hub for the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area (GTHA).

The research shows a growing demand for transit in the West GTHA, a region currently under-served by transit but experiencing rapid growth. Along with the quantified benefits of reduced congestion and GHG emissions and economic growth, the findings demonstrated strong demand for better transit in the West GTHA:
[...]
http://www.newswire.ca/news-release...nsit-centre-at-toronto-pearson-618186353.html

Waldo has been found, Collenette has not.

Found? Or found, bound, and muffled? Perhaps his findings and the Pearson concepts don't align.

The good news is, for once all the pols are in agreement about something..... albeith with Del Duca only committing to "study" it, and Tory clinging to the SmartTrack brand (no harm in trying to get it paid for from the Pearson funding, perhaps)

- Paul

Im surprised the Minister of Photo-Ops didnt have another Photo-Op event to disclose that he supports a regional hub at Pearson.

Making a trip on the train between Guelph and Union right now. We just went over the berm widening between Silver and Georgetown GO, and there are definitely signs of slope failure; not any that would raise integrity or safety issues yet, but a bit concerning for new construction. Mind you that we just had significant rainfall, and the slope hasn't had time to be properly vegetated and rooted by plants. But GO is going to have to monitor this and ensure the slope beefs itself up this summer. With climate change and more extreme weather, that slope will need to be resilient for the years to come.

They are making a mistake ignoring Newmarket.
While I agree that 15 minute service should extend to Newmarket, they're right to make Wellington a top priority for grade separation. Because Aurora station is on the south side of Wellington, you could argue that the grade separation is more important for service to Newmarket than Aurora.

We just went over the berm widening between Silver and Georgetown GO, and there are definitely signs of slope failure; not any that would raise integrity or safety issues yet, but a bit concerning for new construction.
I presume on the north side.

Whoa...I was taking a close look at that a few times this past Summer, as I end up at Georgetown station from cycling the Caledon Trailway a lot (a short but incredibly satisfying 2 hour jaunt from Black Horse north of Bolton) and I've had to kill time until the bus arrives there to get to Mt Pleasant to catch last train, so had time to explore the underpass and surrounding area. Not only was the original culvert discovered during construction, (there was a small canal at the site originally) but it was clear that the water course had been changed markedly to do it, usually not a problem, but I noted the soil had not be stabilized on the new berm, vegetation might help, superficially....best I not project anything further, but I'm not surprised. The Feds are going to be all over that, rightly so.

Has the ground cover on the north side been planted? Has there been any ground cover established? IIRC completion was fairly late in the season last year. That being the case, it probably looks pretty ugly right now, between spring thaw and runoff. One would expect some settling....so long as that's all it is, no need to worry. Gravity is our friend. Water below ground, on the other hand, is something that civil engineers don't trifle with.

- Paul

While I agree that 15 minute service should extend to Newmarket, they're right to make Wellington a top priority for grade separation. Because Aurora station is on the south side of Wellington, you could argue that the grade separation is more important for service to Newmarket than Aurora.
Never thought about this. Good Point.

Back