News   Mar 28, 2024
 55     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

GO Transit: 50 Possible Sites for new Stations

I'm glad to see Park Lawn is being considered, but I do not like that it is being considered in competition with existing Mimico and Kipling.

There is only one spot on that stretch of track that makes sense, and it's Park Lawn. The community needs a rapid transit hub to move the 40,000 people who will live there by 2025. I'm afraid Metrolinx will put a station at Roncesvalles, Kipling, (leave Mimico) and screw over the neighbourhood once more. Do we build transit for people or for cars?

I'm glad to see Park Lawn is being considered, but I do not like that it is being considered in competition with existing Mimico and Kipling.

There is only one spot on that stretch of track that makes sense, and it's Park Lawn. The community needs a rapid transit hub to move the 40,000 people who will live there by 2025. I'm afraid Metrolinx will put a station at Roncesvalles, Kipling, (leave Mimico) and screw over the neighbourhood once more. Do we build transit for people or for cars?
would the condo site have to change its name to "Mimico formerly on the GO"?

would the condo site have to change its name to "Mimico formerly on the GO"?
Whatever happens, there needs to be a rapid transit station in Humber Bay Shores.

Whether or not that's a GO Station, a dedicated high speed LRT, or the DRL; it needs to happen.

I don't know whether or not the city has its head up its ass when it comes to this area, but we are talking about 30,000 condo units going online by 2025. That's a population increase of about 50,000 (conservatively speaking) crammed between the Gardiner, Lake, Humber River and Mimico Creek. If somebody wants to argue that we don't deserve higher order transit, please go ahead. To put this into perspective, Liberty Village is a much, much smaller community upon full buildout.

The 2-3 minute dwell time for the trains is rather high (esp. relative to the amount of time saved by electrification) - perhaps they should look at cars with more than just two sets of doors to further decrease boarding/egress time.

AoD

rSvQhaN.png

What is that?

I believe that's the Eglinton spur. :)

Funny how we can throw 2 billion at a useless spur but can't add a station where the highest concentration of condo towers outside of downtown is developing.

This city is fantastically dysfunctional.

I'm cheering for the Bloor station on the Barrie line.

On the Kitchener line, a station placed between King and Queen (with easy access from both) would serve a pretty wide area, including Liberty Village.

Roncesvalles stop on LW would be useful for me too (not sure overall though...). Would be nice to bike down there to hop on a train instead of going to Ex or Union. And actually, I wish the Hamilton GO bus would stop there..... Sometimes half the trip from Hamilton is between Roncesvalles and reallly....freaking....slow....downtown.....congestion.

I'm cheering for the Bloor station on the Barrie line.

On the Kitchener line, a station placed between King and Queen (with easy access from both) would serve a pretty wide area, including Liberty Village.

Roncesvalles stop on LW would be useful for me too (not sure overall though...). Would be nice to bike down there to hop on a train instead of going to Ex or Union. And actually, I wish the Hamilton GO bus would stop there..... Sometimes half the trip from Hamilton is between Roncesvalles and reallly....freaking....slow....downtown.....congestion.

The Hamilton GO buses did used to to stop at the old bus terminal at Queen & Roncesvalles until the early 1990s.

It would be interesting to see the Sunnyside station return 50+ years after it was taken out. There would need to be some track realignment to have platforms between the inner express tracks and the outer local tracks. I think the original platform was between the inner tracks, where the wide gap between tracks is now.

"Chapel/Gage/Tim Horton’s Field"

Whoo hoo! At least an acknowledgement.
Maybe not this generation, but at least an acknowledgement.
Given it they eliminated it, and it seems to have more merit than many of the 50 they maintained ... I wouldn't be any more hopeful about this, than Victoria Park on the Lakeshore East line.

Interesting news, however I'm a little disappointed with a couple of stations that got screened out.

Wilson GO - Barrie Line

Look at how many stations were short listed on the Stoufville line. They put a a station on literally every arterial. Not only that, but metrolinx is still treating the Eglinton spur like its some sort of serious idea (or at least they are pretending to).

Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 3.04.53 PM.png

So why is the Barrie line is not worthy of the same attention? Is it because it's not part of Dumbtrack? I'm not wishing for that many stations, but I thought that a station at Wilson would have been worthy considering because:
- It's close to the Humber River Regional Hospital (among other buildings) that employs hundreds of people
- It intersects one of the busiest bus corridors in Toronto, which at one point was slated to become a BRT under Transit City
- There's even an existing GO bus stop at Keele & 401 (presumably because of the Hospital), so why reject a rail station near the same area? Why does a station at St Clair merit further evaluation but not this one?

Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 3.30.18 PM.png

Eglinton East GO - Richmond Hill Line

I understand that a station here would be technically difficult, but one of the biggest reasons for low ridership on this line is the lack of stations, so not having one at Eglinton is a missed opportunity to connect with the Eglinton crosstown and make this GO line more useful.

Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 5.40.37 PM.png

I see that Metrolinx is at least considering a different alignment via the Leaside rail corridor, but I highly doubt this will ever come to fruition.

Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 5.49.32 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 3.04.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 3.04.53 PM.png
    319 KB · Views: 1,733
  • Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 3.30.18 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 3.30.18 PM.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 1,817
  • Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 5.40.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 5.40.37 PM.png
    230.9 KB · Views: 1,974
  • Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 5.49.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-18 at 5.49.32 PM.png
    153 KB · Views: 2,147
I see that Metrolinx is at least considering a different alignment via the Leaside rail corridor, but I highly doubt this will ever come to fruition.
View attachment 55140

While expensive for a GO project, the chunk from Eglinton north could be tunnelled for under $2B. Compared to the price of a DRL extension to Sheppard, this looks ridiculously cheap for 2 exclusive tracks with very large potential capacity; the capacity restriction would be # of paying customers only for a long long time.

Back