News   Jul 17, 2024
 36     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 424     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 880     2 

GO Train to Return to Barrie

That's great news. Is there any chance the service will go further from the new station to the downtown Barrie station? What are the other new stations planned along the way?

I just came upon something extremely stupid...I found that Ontario Northland trains stop at Barrie. Where?

Northland buses stop in Barrie (bus terminal), not trains. Trains do not stop now between Toronto and Washago (north of Orillia). At least Northland still uses the train station in Orillia it used to use with its trains as its bus terminal.

I was looking at the Federation of Canadian Municipalities' list of 1,000 shovel-ready infrastructure projects and a new GO station in downtown Barrie is included. The cost is listed as $1,860,000 and it would create 21 jobs, in case you're interested.

Only 21 jobs?? That's kinda strange. In any case, a downtown GO station is really what's needed. I really can't believe how the GO always expands service by one station, and then that station ends up being nowhere (Lincolnville??). I think once the downtown station is built it should be renamed Innisfil, to clarify.

Only 21 jobs?? That's kinda strange. In any case, a downtown GO station is really what's needed. I really can't believe how the GO always expands service by one station, and then that station ends up being nowhere (Lincolnville??). I think once the downtown station is built it should be renamed Innisfil, to clarify.

It's probably person-years of employment....so maybe for six months....

But the Barrie South Go station isn't in Innisfil... It's in Barrie.

Innisfil will get a station nearest to the village of Lefroy.

Maybe, but it is much closer to Innisfil residents then Barrie residents. On a side note, on the GO maps, it says that the Barrie bus still goes from Bradford station. Why hasn't it moved to Barrie South?? I guess since every other train only goes to Barrie this is necessary. but shouldn't it at least stop at Barrie South??

But the Barrie South Go station isn't in Innisfil... It's in Barrie.

Innisfil will get a station nearest to the village of Lefroy.

Barrie South will probably be renamed. Isn't it near Mapleview or something? If so it'll probably be renamed that after Barrie (Downtown) opens.

Just like there used to be Oakville West I believe. And then it became Bronte I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Barrie South will probably be renamed. Isn't it near Mapleview or something? If so it'll probably be renamed that after Barrie (Downtown) opens.

Just like there used to be Oakville West I believe. And then it became Bronte I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

You're right. Bronte was originally called Oakville West. If I remember correctly, there had once been a Bronte station further West along the line that was never served by GO. I guess they changed the name when they figured everyone had forgotten about it.

The new GO Station will be at Allandale, the site of the historic railway junction, and a major redevelopment site for the City of Barrie. It won't cost that much operationally to extend it either, because it will lie literally north of of the layover facility where the trains are dispatched every morning.

Some info on the Allandale REI:
http://www.barrie.ca/Content.cfm?C=7566&SC=1&SCM=1&MI=1669&L1M=41

Council is expected to receive a report on Allandale GO service and the REI soon.

I heard Mt.PLeasnt and Malton station are currently getting big upgrades and repairs.

Bramalea station is sort of maxed out and some people just go to Malton now.

I do for trains after 9am as there is no parking left there.

I heard Mt.PLeasnt and Malton station are currently getting big upgrades and repairs.

Mt. Pleasant, Malton and Brampton are all under significant renos.

Not really sure what is going on at Malton but Brampton and Mt. Pleasant are adding a track and a platform. This will, obviously, allow more service in the long term...in the short term what I hear is that as soon as those two stations are ready, the trains that current only serve the line as far as Bramalea will be extended to Mt. Pleasant.....giving all people in Brampton equal service.

As for parking.....I have never seen the south parking lot at Bramalea be full. In fact, one of the local traffic issues in Brampton is that with the service levels being unequal, people who live closer to Brampton and Mt Pleasant are driving to Bramalea to catch the train. It is hoped that if the trains service all stations equally, that some people will switch back to the "local stations". My view is that this might be possible at Mt. Pleasant but there is already a parking shortage at Brampton so I doubt there will be much change there.....if you have trouble getting parking at Bramalea, try the south lot.

What any of this has to do with GO service in Barrie....I will leave that for you to explain!!

Last edited:
From the Barrie Examiner
Rail land plans on new tracks

City council to review revised proposals to redevelop Allandale station property

Posted By BOB BRUTON

Posted 1 day ago

The ante had been upped on redeveloping Barrie's Allandale station lands.

Both the YMCA/Correct Group and Forecast/Mark Porter have submitted new proposals to the city, which will be considered by its corporate services committee on Jan. 20.

City council will have the final say on which redevelopment plan is approved for the nine acres of land at Lakeshore Drive and Tiffin Street.

Both proposals incorporate plans for a children's museum there.

William Moore of Solutions Ink, speaking for the YMCA/Correct proposal, said there is clear support for a public/cultural use vision for the station buildings.

"The children's museum is at an early stage of their growth, so the idea was -- let's help them, let's give them a planning leg up," he said.

"They (YMCA/Correct) also committed to programming the station buildings for public use for three to five years, to see if that site was viable for the museum or perhaps another organization that Barrie's culture department recommended."

Moore, who provided the YMCA/ Correct plans to theExaminer, says if this site doesn't work for the children's museum then it could continue as public use.

Lorne Wolinsky of Forecast Inc. also provided its new plan to theExaminer, and said it does include a new children's museum -- but not in the train station buildings.

"Those buildings are very vulnerable," he said. "We don't believe they will last another winter."

Wolinsky said that with the children's museum years away, it's better to have a new location on the site. He also doesn't believe the Allandale station buildings can be expanded, because of their Ontario Heritage designation.

"Right now, it's just an idea. There's no money and no plan," he said of the children's museum. "We do think it's a good fit, so space will be reserved."

The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka has partnered with the Correct Group of Companies, a real estate development and management group owned and operated by the Furbacher family. They have a $50-million plan for the old railway property that includes 100 condo/hotel units and 150,000 square feet of commercial/retail mixed use.

"There was a commitment to a walking village-like community...to reduce surface parking to create more people space," Moore said.

This is in addition to a new YMCA facility and redeveloping the former Allandale station building for public use, including a children's museum.

"They (Correct) said that their interestwasbecauseof theY'spresence there-- that the Y would deliver the kind of activity (1,700 visitors per day) that would guarantee a successful mixed-use development on the station lands," Moore said.

The proposed 'Y by the Bay' would provide broad public and social programs from child care to recreation, from fitness to youth-at-risk and supporting new immigrants.

Correct also said that the train station was an extremely important heritage asset that added even more opportunity, said Moore.

The Forecast/Porter proposal includes a five-storey hotel, 48,000 square feet of retail space, office space and a cafe.

"It would be a southern anchor for the downtown," Wolinsky said. "They have been having trouble getting people from south-Barrie to come downtown."

He said there might also be a downtown kiosk on the Allandale lands, as well as a trolley, or shuttle, to the core.

"The uses on the site haven't changed," Wolinsky said of the new Forecast/Porter proposal. "But the design has changed and we have added a few more ideas."

The existing Allandale station buildings are about 11,000 square feet, but would probably need to be expanded to 15,000 sq. ft. in order to include the museum.

Building costs for the children's museum are estimated at $5 million, although the city has $2 million to contribute toward that, with an annual operating budget of $500,000.

The federal and provincial governments could help fund the capital costs. Renting out part of the facility, at-the-door revenues, money from a possible gift shop, or even a restaurant, could help off-set the operating costs.

The museum would have permanent exhibits focused on the ecology and environment of Lake Simcoe. Barrie's railway history would have exhibits on technology and heritage.

The existing Allandale Station buildings were constructed between 1895 and 1905. The station closed in the 1980s, but train tickets could still be bought there into the 1990s.

The city bought this land, along with the rail line (now the GO train line) between Barrie and Bradford in the late 1990s, when CN Rail abandoned the line.

Last edited:

Malton is seeing platform extension and a new tunnel for a new elevator.

Clarkson Station is to be not finish until December 2010. At this rate, Oakville that has yet to start may end up been finish in 2011. Milton of all things is getting a second platform and tunnels and supposed to be finish in 2010.

Brampton is to be completed this year. The rough work is in place for the tunnel and part of the new platform.

The 3rd track between Port Credit and Clarkson will not be finish until spring 2010, not winter 2009 as plan.

Oakville yard will see real work relocating the main lines south as well the 3rd track this year.

Back