News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

GO studies Bolton rail service

Have a look at this study from 2010 - I think it's fair to say that this, rather than Milton, was how the North Toronto idea was first broached, although there may be other studies also.

- Paul
Interesting. Thank you. I've seen that report before and completely forgot it suggested using the Midtown Corridor. I can see some sense in that, even now.

Interesting. Thank you. I've seen that report before and completely forgot it suggested using the Midtown Corridor. I can see some sense in that, even now.

There was a previous study in 1992 -

North Toronto Corridor Feasibility study
Final Report of August 1992
produced by Cole, Sherman Architects, Planners

I don't have access to a copy, but there is one shown in the catalog at Toronto Public Library.

- Paul

That seems like a bad idea. I would put it on Highway 7 to connect with VIVA and align the station to the north so that a short walkway can connect it with Woodbridge Ave. where all the density is.
Connection to Highway 7 VIA would be challenging. Maybe something at Wallace St, but there would be a fair amount of expropriation (there is a condo proposal there)
It is also quite far from Woodbridge Ave

They could consider Islington @ Steeles and Kipling by the Woodbridge Fair Grounds.
The latter has a good opportunity to develop old Woodbridge into a transit orientated community IMO.
1643215609632.png
1643215646113.png

1643215692268.png

Wallace St to the right:
1643216070906.png

Last edited:
Connection to Highway 7 VIA would be challenging. Maybe something at Wallace St, but there would be a fair amount of expropriation (there is a condo proposal there)
It is also quite far from Woodbridge Ave

They could consider Islington @ Steeles and Kipling by the Woodbridge Fair Grounds.
The latter has a good opportunity to develop old Woodbridge into a transit orientated community IMO.
View attachment 376854View attachment 376855
View attachment 376856

Wallace St to the right:
View attachment 376858

It really depends on how they envision the station.

Closer to Hwy 7 would create a connection with VIVA service which is a plus. However would likely be the most complex.

Somewhere in old Woodbridge between Kipling and Islington would be great from TOC perspective. However there isn't the population density to support a station without transit connections (and there are virtually zero opportunities to create transit connections there) and not enough space to build a park and ride station.

Next option might be Langstaff, but is constrained by property on either side of the railway. Depending on the level of expropriation there could be a significant park and ride station built there. The road network would then require a major overhaul

A station at HWY 27 and Rutherford, or Major Mackenzie may make the most sense from a park and ride perspective. The newly opened 427 ramp is nearby, and Rutherford/Major Mackenzie are fairly significant regional roads right now. Any further North and we become more Kleinburg station than Woodbridge.

My preference would be for a "local town" station in Old Woodbridge, and a commuter park N ride station somewhere near the 407/Islington area

Unfortunately a park and ride at 407/Islington would have no access to the highway.

Yeah I forgot about that. It never really made sense to me why Pine Valley was chosen for the interchange rather than Islington as Islington is the more significant throughfare in the area. I'm sure there was geographic issue.

Was looking at the study and it showed putting the Emery station on the hydro corridor if they use that alignment, I know a while back the BIA was in negotiations with the city and Hydro One wanted to put a new First Nations park in that spot, but nothing has happened since.

Here is the concept from the feasibility study back in 2009

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 6.40.03 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Back