News   Jun 21, 2024
 139     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 291     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 413     0 

Go Sens Go!

"I want either Ducks/Wings to wing. Sorry, but I hate Alfredson, can't root for them so long as he is a Senator."

"Ottawa winning a cup is pretty much my worst nightmare come true. I'll cheer for anyone else, so GO DUCKS!"

"I would never, ever cheer for the Sens, same goes with the Habs. Go Ducks!"

It's these sort of comments, and the fact that these people are actually rooting for the great hockey town of Anaheim/Disneyland, that makes the recent success of the Senators especially sweet! In your face!

You should all be happy about the Senators, because they represent the only chance that you'll ever see the Stanley Cup return to Ontario in your lifetimes.

You must have a very short lifespan because you can go to the hockey hall of fame, in Ontario (where it returns every year), and see it there.

You must have a very short lifespan because you can go to the hockey hall of fame, in Ontario (where it returns every year), and see it there.

Ah, Leafs fans. The likelihood of the Toronto ever winning the Cup is so remote that some of you actually believe that having it at the Hockey Hall of Fame constitutes bringing it back to Ontario.

Whatever helps you sleep at night....

Well, doesn't it?

Plus, in today's day an age, I don't understand this false sence of 'nationalism' associated with Canadian franchises, in that if a Canadian team wins the cup, its a win for Canada. At the club level, who the hell cares about nationality of the team when the components that make it are from everywhere.

I won't support a team I don't give a sh*t about normally just to spite some supposed Ontario rival.

That said, I don't care for the Leafs much either, owned by the disinterested MLSE, who is more of a real estate company bilking taxpayers and average fans (see also: Toronto FC, Ricoh Centre). Plus if they ever make the playoffs, the Leafs choke. I've stopped caring.

It's these sort of comments, and the fact that these people are actually rooting for the great hockey town of Anaheim/Disneyland, that makes the recent success of the Senators especially sweet! In your face!

You should all be happy about the Senators, because they represent the only chance that you'll ever see the Stanley Cup return to Ontario in your lifetimes.

I don't really care if the team is located in Canada/Ontario or not, this is the NHL, not the Olympics. I am a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, their biggest rival is arguably Ottawa, therefore I don't want to see them win. Seems simple enough.

Ahh... the great rivalry between Ottawa and Toronto. I haven't seen a sports debate this heated since I was in Chicago spending time with both Cubs fans and White Sox fans. Really makes me wonder how much more heated such a rivalry would become if we had NHL teams in Hamilton, K-W or even Mississauga.

I don't understand...I mean...to me, as long as it's a Canadian team, I will support over the US team.... Unless we have 2 Canadian teams in the final (ever happened before?) then we can pick and choose...

Maybe it's true that we are not as patriotic as the Yanks...

I don't understand...I mean...to me, as long as it's a Canadian team, I will support over the US team.... Unless we have 2 Canadian teams in the final (ever happened before?) then we can pick and choose...

Maybe it's true that we are not as patriotic as the Yanks...

True, Alfredson is as CDN as they get.

In a sports climate that is completetly dominated by the excited states I would always support a Canadian franchise over a foreign one. As for the Leafs, well ..ahem. I think the KW Predators will win the cup before the Leafs-indeed that's not actually very farfetched at all :eek:

True, Alfredson is as CDN as they get.

I'm not really sure I agree with your point about it doesn't really matter whether the team is Canadian-based or not, because the players themselves are from all over.

To follow your logic, Torontonians should not be excited if the Leafs ever win the cup because most of the Leaf players would likely be from places outside the GTA.

Having said that, Roy MacGregor made an interesting point in one of those live chats on globeandmail.com earlier this week. He said it isn't really a situation of "Canada's team", because if nothing else inter-team rivalries prevent us all from getting onto the same bandwagon. Rather than "Canada's team", he suggested that it was "Canada's Cup". People in this country are generally happy to see the Cup return to its land of origin, rather than going to some U.S. city with little or no hockey tradition.

You know, he said it better than my paraphrasing, so I'll just cut and paste his words here:

I think there's terrible confusion in the country over this. It isn't -- nor should it be -- about "Canada's Team." That ain't gonna happen in a country that can't even agree on a definition of equalization. But it is "Canada's Cup" and people really do want to see the Stanley Cup back in Canada. It hasn't been won by a Canadian team since Montreal Canadiens in 1993. There are World War One veterans around who recall the Leafs once winning, I'm told. But the Cup hasn't been around for 14 years and people would love to see that happen. That Canadians care so much about this trophy was proven last year when a couple of Wednesday night beer-leaguers took the NHL to court in 2005 over whether or not the NHL owned the trophy and, therefore, had the right to deny its awarding during the Lockout year (which they did). In early 2006 the two won their court argument. The Cup CAN be awarded if there is ever another lockout. And why? Because the trophy was given to the people of Canada and its trustees answer to them, not the NHL.

and

You'll never see widespread support for "Canada's Team" in a country that positively revels in such denial. When Calgary and Edmonton reached the finals recently the other city had big time troubles cheering for the rival, though some did manage. In Ontario, Ottawa would never cheer for Toronto, so how could the reverse happen? That said, I absolutely do believe that most Canadians -- perhaps as many as 90 per cent of hockey fans -- would cheer for "Canada's Cup" coming home after 14 years away. It's about the Stanley Cup, not the Ottawa Senators or the Edmonton Oilers or the Calgary Flames or the Vancouver Canucks -- all teams that, since 1993, have reached the finals. If Ottawa can finally win that final, who will not delight in seeing the Stanley Cup return to its country. And I think the fact that Governor General Stanley's trophy was first announced in Ottawa 115 years ago counts for a bit.

Back