News   Jul 26, 2024
 301     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 802     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 695     1 

Globe on sidewalk etiquette

How about the idiots that have a conversation in the middle of a sidewalk. They seem to think they are the only people int he world. I always try my best to walk in-between them or at least hit them accidentally on purpose with my bag.

Poor old Brooke Astor - all that wealth, beneficence and sense of etiquette and noblesse oblige and look how she apparently spent her declining years: witless, artless, off her meds ... and sprawled out on a couch reeking of pee pee.

Thankfully the grandson spoke up and Annette de le Renta stepped in so she could live her final days at her farm, in comfort. I love how the son was pretty much ignored at the funeral.

And she's buried at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, where vicious old bitch Leona Helmsley is now interred in a faux Doric Greek temple because the mausoleum for proletarian corpses at Woodlawn in the Bronx blocked her view.

Far worse are the selfish yahoos who cycle on the sidewalk. I'm waiting for the day when I'm carrying a heavy bag of groceries. Just a gentle swing will do it. Oops!

Again, just like drivers.

Exactly...the same people who cannot drive, cannot walk on sidewalks and/or up stairs are the same people who take elevators one or two floors instead of walking (up moving! escalators). These are the very same people who put their convenience ahead of others, despite the consequences of their selfish actions (ie selfish people who refuse to allow room for others on the sidewalk create bottlenecks that make their own situation more difficult).

Poor old Brooke Astor - all that wealth, beneficence and sense of etiquette and noblesse oblige and look how she apparently spent her declining years: witless, artless, off her meds ... and sprawled out on a couch reeking of pee pee.
And Britney & Lindsay are entering that cycle 80 years earlier...

You should choose one path and stick to it. Don't wander all over the sidewalk, walking slowly one moment and rushing the next.

This is my fave 'rule' - I grow weary of endlessly having to attempt to predict the apparently random trajectory of many a wandering, thoughtless dolt. Also hate the 3-or-more-abreast militantly unyielding, slow-moving human walls.

I must admit that as I have been walking more and more over the past few years, I have become almost a militant pedestrian. I completely understand "pedestrain rage." My biggest problem is that I am the salmon swimming upstream. I work at Bay and Queen's Quay, and often get off the subway at Dundas and walk down (via PATH in the winter, outside in the summer) to get some exercise. The flood of people heading north from Union station into the financial district, though, take up the entire sidewalk and it is very hard to find a path through the mob most times. More than a few times I've shoulder someone aside, which I am not proud of.

And walking through Dundas square is almost impossible. You get a good pace going, and some damn tourist stops right in front of you to take a photo of the Torch. Man, look behind you and move aside before stopping!

I think I need to see a therapist...

Love it hate it or spit on it, a sidewalk is for all to do as they please!

Spitting on a sidewalk is completely unhygienic. Aside from the goo that they're hurtling onto the ground, when a person spits out the saliva from his/her mouth, it creates an overspray of infectious materials that other's can potentially breathe in.

A sidewalk definitely should not be "for all to do as they please". Would you also be supportive of some nut who wishes to piss, vomit or take a crap on a sidewalk as well??

I've been a pedestrian ever since I learned to walk. I thrill to the elements of chance, unpredictability and danger that legions of anonymous fellow bipeds bring to my occasional peregrinations.

Ah, pedestrian rage. I know it. Specifically:

- People who talk on cell phones while walking. You can spot these people miles ahead, arm crooked, staggering unpredictably all over the sidewalk and walking at half the speed of everyone else. Anyone looking for evidence of why cell phones should be banned in cars need look no further than the nearest sidewalk.

- The "if I pretend I don't see you, I don't have to give way" move. I'm pretty short, and tall people do this to me a lot. As we're approaching each other from opposite directions, they suddenly crook their necks up, so their line of "vision" goes over my head, and then come straight at me pretending they "can't see me". I used to dodge, but I got tired of always being the guy in the ditch while everyone else walked straight. So now I have occasional collisions. Oh, well.

Really, these complaints, and the million other scenarios in this thread, just come down to simply being aware that there are OTHER PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. If everyone just accommodated a bit, then it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I know, silly fantasy.

Back