803     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 699     1 

Globe on sidewalk etiquette

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

City sidewalks, busy sidewalks - and where are the manners?

BERT ARCHER

Special to The Globe and Mail

August 25, 2007

My introduction to sidewalk rage came a couple of years ago. I was walking along a sidewalk near Dupont and St. George when I saw a jogger coming in the opposite direction, with a weighted backpack, furrowed brow and set jaw. He chose a route that headed straight for me. As he got closer, with no intention of slowing down, he barked, "Move." When I halted in the middle of the sidewalk, he cursed and jostled me with his bellicose elbows.

Until recently, sidewalk etiquette wasn't an issue in Toronto. Urban sprawl made sure that our congestion was limited to the Gardiner and the Don Valley Parkway and that our mostly narrow sidewalks were sufficient for the number of people who used them.

But ever since the current condo boom began a decade ago, our downtown has been straining under the foot traffic - and so has our civility. As the city core gets more crowded, and adds more and more amenities to draw us out onto the streets, we need to adapt.

The sidewalk has always been the place where we meet fellow citizens face to face. "The sidewalk is where people connect with the city," says Dylan Reid, a pedestrian advocate and co-chair of the city's increasingly active Pedestrian Committee. And so, Mr. Reid says, it really matters how we behave there. "Good etiquette encourages people to get out on the sidewalk, building civic community," he explains, "whereas bad etiquette discourages people from using the sidewalk, building isolation and alienation."

The City of Toronto has only recently started studying pedestrian issues in earnest, but one thing city staff has learned is that people will go out of their way to walk. "People who move into downtown neighbourhoods, one of the primary reasons is so they can walk to work," says Dan Egan, the city's manager of pedestrian and cycling issues.

And our sidewalks are now used by more people, in more ways, than their planners ever intended. People use them to commute, to shop, to jog, to walk their dogs, to busk, to beg or just to meander. They use them on foot, on scooter, skateboard, Heelys, the occasional bike and motorized chairs.

But there are ways to resolve such conflicts, Lesley Carlin says. Ms. Carlin is one half of the Etiquette Grrls, authors of the 2001 etiquette guide Things You Need to Be Told, which includes a section on pedestrian etiquette. According to her, London is a good example of how masses of people can work well together in public spaces.

"They really know what they're doing," she says from her home in Pittsburgh. "I don't know if it just has to do with stand-to-the-left, walk-to-the-right you hear in all the tube stations, but people really do that. When you get in an elevator, you don't have to navigate around people. There are more specific etiquette rules there and they seem to have been internalized.

"On a very fundamental level, it's about common sense," she adds. "Generally, you don't want to have body contact with other pedestrians. It's not hockey."

She advises editing your carry-on baggage when leaving the house to minimize your personal perimeter. "And don't stop abruptly," she says. "There are probably people behind you and they will run into you."

It's a good time to be considering such things. Walk21, the international pedestrian association, will be holding its annual conference in Toronto starting Oct. 1 at the Design Exchange. Its president, the appropriately named Jim Walker, says that on Oxford Street, Europe's busiest, London has even considered instituting fast and slow lanes to separate what he calls the striders and the strollers. Though he thinks applying traffic rules to sidewalks is ultimately ridiculous, he does think something needs to be done.

"Generally, planners don't allocate enough space to pedestrians," he says. "In North America, for example, road designs are based on two fire engines being able to pass each other. There is a standard in the way that footways are designed, but that doesn't have any association to understanding demand or potential demand."

The Walk21 conference will gather 400 experts in fields related to urban pedestrianism to discuss the latest thinking on the subject of cities and those who walk in them. In preparation for this conference, Toronto has decided to get its pedestrian act together. It plans on having a draft pedestrian strategy prepared by the city's Pedestrian Committee in time for the conference, with final adoption slated for the end of the year.

But while we're waiting for those new pedestrian zones or wider sidewalks, there's the question of our behaviour. "It seems to me there's been a deterioration in people's collective behaviour, how they respond to the collective they're a part of," says urban geographer Larry Bourne, a professor in University of Toronto's geography department and a member of the Centre for Urban and Community Studies. In his opinion, pedestrian etiquette is in dire need of amendment, on the sidewalks, as well as in the subway system. "I have a sense that we aren't as civil as we could be in our use of civic space."

His colleague Paul Hess, who specializes in urban and suburban pedestrian studies, says that while there are very few studies anywhere on pedestrian behaviour, there have been numerous ones on the effects of crowding and urbanization on people's social skills. "We're far less likely to help if we see someone in distress, for instance," he says, adding that the corollary for less serious misbehaviour can be inferred.

Prof. Bourne figures there's a simple solution that something even as low-profile as the Pedestrian Committee might be able to accomplish. "I think a not expensive but concerted public-relations campaign would waken people up to [the fact that] what they do individually, when multiplied a million times over the course of a day, can have a significant effect on the efficiency and comfort of a system."

Dos and don'ts

According to Toronto pedestrian activist Dylan Reid and Etiquette Grrl Lesley Carlin, a few simple rules - beyond the obvious, staying to the right - will make us all happier on the hoof.

If you must eat while walking, be sure you are actually capable of eating and walking at the same time. Don't pause for each bite. And don't eat anything drippy. Puddles of ketchup and ice cream can be both messy and dangerous.

Don't let your dog pee in the middle of the sidewalk, or on the property side, where it will trickle down the slope across the sidewalk.

Never toss a cigarette or litter on the sidewalk. Not only is it unsightly, unhygienic and illegal - you could also hit someone behind you.

Never step on the earth around a street tree. It compacts the soil and makes it harder for the tree to thrive.

If you must cycle on the sidewalk for a short stretch, be aware that you're a guest and act properly. According to Mr. Reid, "Cyclists who ring their bell on the sidewalk to move pedestrians out of the way are deserving of great opprobrium."

If you are walking with friends and taking up the whole sidewalk so you can all talk together, it is the responsibility of the person on the left to be aware of the surroundings, and to move behind their friends to allow someone to pass.

Buskers, vendors and panhandlers should keep to the edges of the sidewalks.

The one's that drive me nuts are the human chains - those couples that walk at a snail's pace with hands locked, and a few feet of space between them. They often refuse to break the lock while expecting everyone to go around them.

I also can't stand those farts that cough up huge phlegm balls, and then spit them out onto the sidewalk. This seems to be a very prevalent activity on Spadina.

I find that pedestrian traffic is a major annoyance on university campuses. UW has several bottlenecks that, when coupled with poor pedestrian etiquette, can really stop you in your tracks. One of the most annoying has to be the clumps of 10 or so people who move in a mass taking up an entire hallway or path, walk at a very slow pace so that they can loudly talk to each other. I don't know if its a cultural thing, as it always seems to be a group of asians...

The walk right rule is also very important for busy stairwells.

When two people are walking side by side, they assume they have the right to the entire sidewalk and anyone passing them must yield or dodge them, that they don't have to split up and go single file for 2 seconds. Well, I don't care - I defend my side of the sidewalk with my left elbow and shoulder.

Umbrellas + ridiculously inadequate pedestrian space on St. George + thousands of rushing students = bountiful mishaps.

I have a real issue with people who take up the whole sidewalk, thus blocking your ability to pass them. Also, people who walk through you. I'm not into playing chicken. I will knock you down! Also, abrupt stoppers annoy me.

But ever since the current condo boom began a decade ago, our downtown has been straining under the foot traffic

I find this doubtful. If anything, I think it's got more to do with increasing congestion on the roads (for more than a decade or two) which has been encouraging more people to get out of their cars.

Mrs. Astor wrote a good piece for Vanity Fair a few years back instructing people how to behave when using a sidewalk,

Here it is - from her longer article on good manners:http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/archive/1999/06/manners199906

Walking on a Street
There is nothing that humans can do in which they can totally ignore manners. Take walking down the street. You should choose one path and stick to it. Don't wander all over the sidewalk, walking slowly one moment and rushing the next. Don't walk with the pointed end of an umbrella sticking out from under your arm, which could easily put out the eye of a child, or rip off a piece of a lady's dress. Confine your jogging to a park. Don't loiter on the street corner after the light has turned green—thereby becoming an obstacle for those in a hurry. If you wear a huge knapsack on your back, keep away from the shopwindows. You are obstructing the view of others and risking breaking a window.

If you see a person with a white stick, it means that they are either blind or nearly blind. Stop and help them cross the street. Smile at a young mother pushing a baby carriage. Give some money to a beggar. Stop and talk to an old person in a wheelchair. These small courtesies will give you an upbeat feeling which will help you as you continue your walk down the street.

Society as a whole would function so much better if we followed the following simple rule - stay on the right.
That said, she provides some very useful advice, as always.

I try to be as courteous as possible on sidewalks, but I really can't stand joggers and rollerbladers who approach from behind at great speeds and yell at you to get out of the way. I don't mind moving over to the right, and I always do when I see or hear someone coming, but don't be belligerent about it. And if you need to go that fast, find a park or someplace else to exercise.

Same thing with those f'cking gangsta kids who won't move an inch to the right, making you turn completely to the side, as it would be seen as a sign of weakness, or whatever.

And anyone riding a bike on the sidewalk can simply go to hell.

Bikes on sidewalks - I've got two minds on this.

I don't ride on sidewalks with very few exceptions - say between a curb cut and a path or something, or about to park at a stand or diverting around a blockage, and in those cases, it's at pedestrian speeds. It's the bicylists that treat the sidewalk like a bike lane that bug me, but not only that - it is dangerous to cyclists to ride on sidewalks, as they are less visible to motorists coming out of side streets, driveways, etc.

Roller bladers can be as bad as cyclists - they are faster than pedestrians, but slower than the average cyclists, and occupy an even more "neither fish nor fowl" position than cyclists, who are technically vehicle operators.

And if you need to go that fast, find a park or someplace else

At the same time, if you feel the need to walk slower than a snail, please get out of my way. What bugs me most are the people who go at such a slow pace until you start walking around them, then they speed up just as you are beside them and someone else is coming in the other direction, pinning you between the 2 people.

.... or those people who cant walk straight. They walk beside you and slowly get closer and closer till they have you pinned against the building or other oncoming pedestrians.

Torontonians walk WAY TOO SLOW.

At the same time, if you feel the need to walk slower than a snail, please get out of my way. What bugs me most are the people who go at such a slow pace until you start walking around them, then they speed up just as you are beside them and someone else is coming in the other direction, pinning you between the 2 people.

.... or those people who cant walk straight. They walk beside you and slowly get closer and closer till they have you pinned against the building or other oncoming pedestrians.

No different than bad drivers who do both of those things regularly. Painting lines on the sidewalks might help, though pedestrians will probably forget to signal a lane change :)

Back