News   May 06, 2024
 667     1 

Globe: Islanders want "cultural heritage landscape&quot

A

ahrvojic

Globe: Islanders want "cultural heritage landscape&quot

Article

Trying to maintain their serenity
Islanders hope getting their landscape recognized by the city will give them more control over their home turf

VICTOR DWYER
For most Torontonians, winter is a time for hunkering down and scowling at the world. Come summer, they kick back, relax and embrace it.

On the Toronto Islands, in many ways, that seasonal logic gets reversed.

Winter brings island residents a blanket of protection, as the closing of three private yacht clubs, the public marina and Centreville Amusement Park keeps the mainland and its annual million-plus visitors more or less at bay.

But summer? That's when the glowering sets in among many of the 600 or so residents who live on Algonquin and Ward's Islands. And not without reason: With the Wakestock festival drawing 35,000 visitors to the islands in August, and next week's Virgin Festival expected to bring 50,000, islanders are feeling besieged. Now residents are looking at a longer-term strategy that they hope will bring a greater measure of planning -- or, at minimum, more forethought and consultation -- to events that take place on, structures that get built upon, and proposals that could change the character of, the Toronto Islands.

"There's absolutely nothing in place that acts as any kind of a template for proposals," says Pam Mazza, a member of the Toronto Islands heritage committee. "Things just kind of happen."

In their quest to protect their tiny patch of turf, concerned islanders are now preparing to adopt a new strategy: Ms. Mazza's committee is considering seeking a mandate from the residents to request that city council declare the islands Toronto's first "cultural heritage landscape," a term introduced into provincial lingo just last year.

That's when the Ontario Planning Act was amended to state that "significant cultural landscapes shall be conserved." Defining these as "geographical areas of heritage significance" that have been "modified by human activities" and "are valued by a community," the province lists a wide range of possibilities including villages, parks, gardens, main streets and cemeteries. The act leaves it up to municipalities to set criteria and gives no time frame for implementation, noting that "the identification, listing, evaluation and protection of cultural heritage landscapes is an ongoing process."

That flexibility, combined with a respect for local sensibilities, appeals to Ms. Mazza and her fellow committee members, who at one point polled residents about having the islands declared a heritage conservation district, a designation that can rain down restrictions and fine-tooth inspections.

"The committee was getting a lot of opposition to that," Ms. Mazza says. "People were concerned that the individuality that is part of the community, the independence, would be curtailed."

Those feelings were further driven home when the Toronto Island Community Association commissioned E.R.A. Architects to conduct a study of the feasibility of declaring the islands a heritage conservation district, only to have the firm recommend instead, this past spring, that they be recognized as a cultural heritage landscape. The study observed that the islands include not just the unique architecture and ambience of the Ward's and Algonquin neighbourhoods but also extensive public parkland; Centreville, with its kids park, fountains and formal gardens; plus beaches and open spaces that combine to make "one of Canada's most impressive urban parks."

The relative inexactness of the provincial definition may also be why only a handful of municipalities -- Toronto is not yet among them -- have so far moved forward with issuing an official inventory of such landscapes. Mississauga has led the way, listing a total of 65, including what is known as the Pinchin Property, a disused apple farm on the Credit River dating from the 1920s; and the main street of Streetsville, a former small town of its own, now surrounded by suburban development.

Although officially listing such landscapes does not afford what Mississauga heritage co-ordinator Mark Warrack calls the "total protection" that comes with a heritage conservation designation, he is already able to point to at least one case in which the new classification is likely to make a difference: When developers recently put forward a proposal to replace two decrepit residential buildings on Streetsville's picturesque main street with what Mr. Warrack describes as "standard commercial buildings," they were required to include a summary of how the proposal would affect the cultural heritage landscape, as outlined by the city.

In that summary, he says, the developer's consultant "ended up stating that the proposal was not appropriate" to Streetsville's village character and he is now sketching out new guidelines for his client.

As for the property's owner, Mr. Warrack says, "I don't know that I'd use the word 'happy,' but I think they've been educated through the process. They have a better understanding of what we're looking at and why; of how the property fits in with neighbouring properties."

In Caledon -- which is in the process of recognizing its first cultural heritage landscape with Rockside, an area settled by Scots in the 1820s and home to a fine collection of handcrafted mortar-free stone walls -- heritage resource officer Sally Drummond sees the designation as "one more layer of control, and of regard for things in a particular area."

Adds Ms. Drummond, "So far, most heritage conservation districts have been urban, so when we apply this idea to rural areas, well, those ones may take a while for everybody to get their heads around, including the public."

And also including, it seems, the urban planners at City Hall -- although they are definitely warming up to the concept. In an interview, Denise Gendron, manager of heritage preservation services, said that "the city will be looking into a study of cultural heritage landscapes, and we hope to commence that work in early 2007," starting with fine-tuning "what the criteria would be."

As well, she predicts that the Toronto Islands "would be one of the first projects we would do."

That kind of openness could be good news for sites across the city, says Michael McClelland, who wrote the E.R.A. study of the islands. As an example of a site that would have benefited from such a designation, he points to Exhibition Place, where "the last time they had a really good overall plan was at the time of the Princes' Gates," which were unveiled in 1927, and where creating "massive amounts of parking" has taken precedence over establishing an "interconnectedness" between the buildings. "It's a dog's breakfast," Mr. McClelland says. "There's just a tremendous lack of coherence."

Similarly, Ms. Mazza says that simply getting city hall to think about the Toronto Islands as a coherent -- if admittedly eclectic -- landscape has always been half the battle. Along with such events as Wakestock and the Virgin Festival, politicians and private interests have proposed all kinds of unusual structural additions over the years. She remembers, in particular, the time the chair of the Toronto Zoo visited, with a proposal to build a bird sanctuary.

"We said, 'That whole wilderness area over there is a bird sanctuary,' " Ms. Mazza recalls. "And he said, 'No, I'm thinking of a tropical bird sanctuary.'

"We all kind of looked at each other and realized we weren't even on the same page."

With the province behind them now, and city hall looking as if it's also ready to get on board, there may finally be some hope that pages like that can be turned for good.

RE: Globe: Islanders want "cultural heritage landscape&

The Island residents should hire a PR consultant to tell them to keep their mouths shut. If I had such a sweet deal as they they do, I'd do all I could to keep it a secret. At this rate there will come a day where they've alienated everyone in the city, and will have no support on any issue.

Re: RE: Globe: Islanders want "cultural heritage landsc

Who are you, Sue-Ann Levy or something?

Besides, what's the matter with a "cultural heritage landscape" study? As the article suggests, if the CHL concept's good enough for Mississauga, it's good enough for here--and why not the Island, given everything?

The RCYC built their first clubhouse on the Islands in 1881, long before any of the present Island homes were built. Do the residents - whose 99 year leases are running down anyway - really see the club members as "visitors", and their role as keeping such neighbours "at bay"? I'd say chances are the Islanders will be gone first. If "cultural heritage landscape" designation is bestowed, surely the RCYC and the other clubs should be included too.

Hey, why not? Read the article carefully...
The study observed that the islands include not just the unique architecture and ambience of the Ward's and Algonquin neighbourhoods but also extensive public parkland; Centreville, with its kids park, fountains and formal gardens; plus beaches and open spaces that combine to make "one of Canada's most impressive urban parks."
So, it's pretty comprehensive--and ironically, includes a lot of what the rest (indeed, the heart) of the Island communities were swept away *for*, back in the 50s and 60s.

Sure, Wards/Algonquin may have motivated the study; but it sounds like it's reaching far beyond and above an "island community" NIMBY ego trip. And I can't see why even *they* would be so petty as to strike RCYC et al out of the equation...

Well I think the islanders need to shut the hell up. The world does NOT revolve around them and they need to stop their complaining.

They "need" to stop their complaining?

I guess everyone should "shut the hell up" now and then.

I don't understand. What's being offered here is actually constructive and positive--yet it becomes yet another excuse for retrograde Islander-bashing? And *here*, of all places?

Well, in that case, I'd suggest that it's the Sim City-raised skyscraper-loving NIMBY-hating UT dorks-who've-been-listening-to-their-905er-parents-too-much who need to shut the hell up. The world--or UT, for that matter--does not revolve around *them* and they need to stop their complaining...

I think the problem is that the motivation for all this seems to have support for their argument that public access to the islands should be limited to Centreville and then only for young families and grannies.

The islanders don't understand that they sit on or near what is some of the best public space in the city, and that they have little right to say that things lik Wakestock not occur. These events are exactly what the islands are for.

Okay, the Wakestock/Virgin thing. I get it.

In which case, I'm even wondering the reverse now, i.e. the CHL study will turn out to be a pure smokescreen. Something that'll deliver less--in the name of "more"--than its sponsors bargained for. At least, if it's all about Wakestock-type events...

I think the problem is that the motivation for all this seems to have support for their argument that public access to the islands should be limited to Centreville and then only for young families and grannies.

Oh, and also don't forget the benign granola-munchers out on Wards, or the benign queer nudists out on Hanlan's. As visitors go, they're officially O.K., too. "Politically correct". I guess if I may play Toronto Sun for a moment, it's supposed to be a "people's park", just like you'd find in Communist Eastern Europe or Welfare State Britain *harrumph* *harrumph*. (Which may be true re "Welfare State Britain"--after all, Centre Island's more or less modelled on the 1951 Festival of Britain reworking of Battersea Park.)

Wakestock, though, is like the Docks and all. It's like the mercenary invasion of *shudder* SUBURBIA, vulgar mooks and Girls-Gone-Wild and what have you...

I just wish that if the 'islanders' wanted people to respect them and their neighbourhood, that they would respect that their 99 year leases were meant to expire sometime, and that the city has the right to not renew them. The city must have had the foresight to realize that this could be potentially an important part of the city someday, which maybe why they chose to lease the lands, instead of sell them outright.

But how, pray tell, is Wards + Algonquin not an "important part of the city" today?!?

Again, it's at times like this when it seems like UT's populated by too many suburban Sim City dorks who've been listening to their grumpy don't-live-in-the-416-for-a-reason parents a little too much...

No, I meant when the 99 year leases were originally signed last century, the city had the foresight to see that the islands lands would be an important part of the city later on. Which is why they leased them back then, and not sold them. Lease renewals, correct me if I'm wrong, has started to become an issue over the last 10 years, when the islanders started raising a fuss when the city didn't want to renew them. It was the likes of Olivia Chow who rallied to their cause, when it makes better sence today not to renew them and incorporate all of the islands lands into proper public use.

I don't claim to be the grammer king, but it seems that some people at UT can't make sence of past and present tense. And even if I did support the islanders and their what I call their dated protectionism and nimbyism, people do have the right to stand on the other side of densification, and rally for protectionism of neighbourhoods.

^If you're going to criticize people's grammar at least get the spelling right :p

It's already an important part of the city. It's a unique neighbourhood and part of the charm of the Islands. Making it all a park is no more "proper" than having houses there. The island neighbourhoods are worth the occasional whining resident.

I have no problem with the islanders... I just wish they would accept that part of the privelege of living on the islands is having to accept that large, sometimes loud, events will occur nearby. This isn't to say that the island residents' concerns about noise, vandalism, etc. should be ignored, but rather the islanders shouldn't argue that events not be held on the island at all.

Back