News   Jul 17, 2024
 31     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 448     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 984     0 

Globe Column: The left, divided, opens the door for the Conservatives

A radical lefty would be a communist, something the NDP is light years away from, and the Liberal party in a completely different universe.

I disagree very much, since that would mean that you would have to be an outright Fascist to be a radical right winger. I think that the neoconservatives surrounding Stephen Harper right now (not to mention down in the States) are profoundly radical, though they might not be Fascist.

Likewise, you suggest that fiscal prudence means that they cannot be left wing. I think that fiscal prudence can exist (and not exist) on both ends of the spectrum.

For radical leftism without being Communist, #1 case in point: Peter Kormos...

the liberal party is centrist not left leaning

The saying goes that Liberals campaign like NDPers but govern like Conservatives. A lot of truth to that.

Yeah, Americans said that for a long time under Clinton, too, until they elected a real conservative government. They've learned the hard way.

i prefer it that way...

You got a mix of both....and they don't go to far on to one side...

I think the electoral reform that might be coming should address this problem to an extent, as people will be able to vote for the Liberal candidate in their riding, if that's needed to fight off the Cons, and still give the party vote to NDP or the Greens. That'll certainly be a new option.

^It's exactly the same thing on the voting level. If anything, the party takes the proportional vote and decides what to do with it, you don't. Plus, there are fewer MPP positions to vote for in MMP. Local representation is being reduced is such a system.

As to the Liberals campaigning like the NDP but governing like the Conservatives, what does that actually mean?

liberals promise extensive social programs in the election campaigns.

When they govern, they see it is a major priority to be in a sound fiscal position, which is something you think the conservatives would worry about. They always want to be in surplus but they never go crazy with tax cuts.

Also, they usually wont go in debt ever even if the economy is good, unless there is an emergenacy.

The reason why the Mike Harris Conservatives went into so much debt is that they tried to give us tax cuts when they didn't even have enough money to fund all of the governments expenditures.

Back