News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.5K     3 

Glendon College's "Centre of Excellence"

4grand

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/1263749--glendon-college-and-the-21st-century-campus-christopher-hume

I have lost all respect for Christopher Hume. His article yesterday on Glendon College's "Centre of Excellence" was nothing more than biased, unfounded and untrue propaganda.

Glendon College's new "Centre of Excellence" is a complete disaster, but Mr. Hume is a graduate of the college. He is also personal friends with members of the administration, including the Principal.

I contacted Christopher before I knew of his connections and asked him if he would consider writing an article on this building. I also asked him for advice on how to get this new wing exposed for what it is, which is a waste of a $20 million grant from the province. After he didn't respond to multiple emails, I finally Googled him and found out his history. I emailed him my realization - that he was in cahoots with the Glendon administration - and he finally replied, with a two-sentence email, telling me he that "didn't hate the building" and was planning on writing about it.

Below is a draft of a letter I'm planning on sending to not only The Star's editor, but the editors of all the major newspapers. I'm working with a good number of other dissatisfied students and a few members of the staff (who will remain nameless), and we're hoping to get some exposure. I've also been in touch with journalists at other newspapers but my trouble is convincing them that this is a big enough story to publish. In my opinion it is. This new wing is an outright deception, it is subterfuge and it is injustice towards students.

Here is the first draft of that letter.

I found Christopher Hume's article in today's Star to be a slap in the face to students at Glendon College. As a graduate of Glendon himself, and a personal friend of the Principal, Kenneth McRoberts, Mr. Hume wrote one of the most biased and false articles I have ever read.

This new "Centre of Excellence", which has already been given the nickname "The Centre of Negligence" is nothing more than a showpiece for the administration of Glendon College. It is Vanity over Sanity and Style over Substance. The entire front lobby is awash in expensive, white marble, reaching from floor to ceiling, while there are nearly no electrical outlets, anywhere in the building for students to plug into. When I personally inquired of Principal Kenneth McRoberts as to the major oversight, he cited a lack of funds. This is for a building that had been given a $20 million grant from the Province to build from the ground up. When I asked how much the white, marble lobby cost, and why the money for aesthetics wasn't first spent on functionality, he didn't have an answer and quickly passed me onto someone else.

This new "Centre of Excellence" has been built for prospective students, to trick them into believing that they will have technologically sound and state-of-the art facilities when they enroll. In reality, most of the "Excellence" is found in the expensive building materials and the sterile, glass-and-white boxy exterior. Once a prospective student becomes a current student, they quickly realize that this "Centre of Excellence" isn't so excellent, but by then, York has already obtained their money.

The desks, tables, chairs and nearly every piece of material present in any one of the classrooms, is of the lowest, cheapest quality. There are nearly no electrical outlets for students to plug into. I believe in the smaller rooms there are a total of four outlets; in the medium auditoriums, there are maybe five or six; and in the large, main auditorium, which has its entire exterior covered in white marble, there are perhaps no more than ten, with most against the walls, much too far for most of the hundred-and-fifty students to reach. It's almost certain that this entire building will need to be retrofitted within the next decade, which is ridiculous.

Another odd and antiquated decision is the the installation of black boards and chalk in every classroom. Why not use 2012 technology and install SMART boards? It's quite myopic to install a projector, projector module, projector console, projector screen, and a desktop computer when all could easily be done with a SMART board, all in one. Surely, the price difference between such a strange set up and a SMART board can only be negligible. The most expensive SMART boards currently are around $4000. With a budget of $20 million, I don't understand how they couldn't find the money for SMART boards for six classrooms. Even stranger, is the fact that all of the tutorial rooms have glass back walls which let in plenty of daytime sunlight, and front glass walls which let in light from the hallway. I'm not sure how projector images are really supposed to be seen, when there are no blinds, anywhere.

Christopher Hume praises the architect and the architecture of the building itself, but personally, I find the choice of a completely white building absolutely demented. We live in Canada. Six months of the year, it is very mucky outside. Why are there white floors, white walls, white pillars and white everything? You're not supposed to wear white after Labour Day for a reason.

They've also built a rooftop patio, which conveniently enough, just like the entire new wing, faces the entrance. However, if one thinks for a moment, one starts to realize that the weather from September to May is not very conducive to sitting outside. So, if it's not for students during the year to use, who is it for exactly?

What's worse, is that the rest of the campus is literally decaying before the students' eyes. There are totally defunct washrooms, carpets are peeling up from the floor, ceiling panels are caving in, and the electrical outlets and technological facilities are nearly non-existent as the entire property hasn't been updated since it was built, over fifty years ago. Parking is a rip-off, the cafeteria is a rip-off (selling Vitamin Water nearly a dollar more than they do at Pusateri's), the computer labs are antiquated and the residences are archaic.

None of the above issues were even addressed before they decided to build a monumental, $20 million eyesore. An eyesore which they then proceeded to line the entire front lobby with expensive, white marble. I find Christopher Hume's article a betrayal to logic and morality. I even emailed him for advice, but was disappointed to find that he sided with his alma mater and his friend, Kenneth McRoberts.

Last edited:
The issues with the building for students sound serious and neglectful. I commend you 4grand for bringing them to the forefront for the sake of your fellow students, the future students of Glendon College, the quality of academic architecture in the city, and architectural criticism. But for an outsider, it is no surprise that Christopher Hume did not notice the lack of power outlets and SMART boards because he is not a student or educator. There's something to be said about the way a public building meets the needs of its users which is, of course, vital to architectural quality. Mr. Hume should have paid more attention to the function of the interior spaces, but at first glance, it doesn't seem like he conspired to not acknowledge deficiencies in the new building at his alma mater. Lastly, I don't understand the critique of white interiors from a climate perspective. Salt residue should be less noticeable on a white surface than a grey or black surface, and marble should be durable as an interior material.

Though I'm not sure what "reputable" (note quotes) architectural critic would have tilted against this particular windmill--at least as an objet d'art. In this particular field of discussion, Hume wouldn't be alone in such myopia...

junctionist:

Though admittedly using marble for academic space is a bit "rich" (even though it is considered a very utilitarian material up till the late 60s - Kerr Hall at Ryerson got vast amounts of it).

AoD

The issues with the building for students sound serious and neglectful. I commend you 4grand for bringing them to the forefront for the sake of your fellow students, the future students of Glendon College, the quality of academic architecture in the city, and architectural criticism. But for an outsider, it is no surprise that Christopher Hume did not notice the lack of power outlets and SMART boards because he is not a student or educator. There's something to be said about the way a public building meets the needs of its users which is, of course, vital to architectural quality. Mr. Hume should have paid more attention to the function of the interior spaces, but at first glance, it doesn't seem like he conspired to not acknowledge deficiencies in the new building at his alma mater. Lastly, I don't understand the critique of white interiors from a climate perspective. Salt residue should be less noticeable on a white surface than a grey or black surface, and marble should be durable as an interior material.

"Don't wear white after labour day" is an addage for a reason. The building is already filthy. White gets dirty and stays dirty, especially in this climate where we have 5 months of winter, 2 months of spring and 2 months of fall. All of which are quite mucky. In California and Greece, they don't have these issues, thus building more white buildings in those climates.

Also, I had emailed Hume an entire list of issues, three weeks before his article. Thus, he knew all about the lack of outlets etc.

Thanks for your support though.

Last edited:
junctionist:

Though admittedly using marble for academic space is a bit "rich" (even though it is considered a very utilitarian material up till the late 60s - Kerr Hall at Ryerson got vast amounts of it).

AoD

After three months of me sending emails and being ignored, and hearing from multiple sources that it was marble, I've now been corrected and told that's it's glazed porcelain. It's almost as if nobody has any idea what's going on with this building. However, building the main auditorium smack, dab in the middle of the lobby is absurd. They should have dug it into the ground like many other auditoriums, thus eliminating a massive, wrap-around wall that needs to be covered in tile, occupying 60% of the lobby.

I think a fantastic building, tailored for students, is the Marion McCain building at Dalhousie, in Halifax. It was built in 2001, and among many other amenities, it has outlets every three feet, built into the wooden desks of the auditoriums. The plastic desks in the "Centre of Excellence" don't...

It's obviously vanity over sanity.

No outlets? This building will be around for 60+ years... I really don't understand such myopia..

Last edited:
The building does look pretty impressive - and the debate around form and function isn't a new one.

AoD

It may look impressive, in 2012 architectural terms, but that's the whole point. They're deceiving prospective students into coming through the aesthetics of the building, not the functionality.

I also feel that this boxy, sterile, glass with plastic finishes will look as dated at Brutalism and Post-Modernism, within ten years.

4grand:

To be fair though, a student will have to be extremely gullible to apply for a program, not because of the quality of the teaching, the reputation of the scholars or the program, or the amount of student support available - but on the basis of what the architecture of one building communicates. Besides, like you've said - if the building is already dirty, just what kind of impression does that communicate?

AoD

I think you'd be surprised how many students choose a school, based simply off of its campus. Especially Liberal Arts majors who don't really care about the best business or medical or law school. To be honest, I went to Dalhousie because I wanted to be near the ocean and to check out the East Coast and it's a beautiful campus. I can fully admit that... I knew it was a good school, but it was the campus and location that sold me.

It's also the first thing you see as you enter the campus at Glendon. You literally can't see anything else. A giant, "futuristic" "Centre of Excellence/Negligence". I think a lot of young, 17 year-old, Grade 12 students, at some lame high school, would be more than impressed at the flashy, new buildling, built in "today's" fashion...

People can be swayed by awe and deceit, theatre and pomp and circumstance...

Last edited:
I also feel that this boxy, sterile, glass with plastic finishes will look as dated at Brutalism and Post-Modernism, within ten years.

Which may mean that within forty years, there'll be a campaign to save it from demolition or disfigurement. Just warning you.

Oh Christ. Don't tell me people are rallying to save Brutalist buildings now... The only thing perhaps that I would save, simply for antiquity, is the peacock at Robarts. That's about it...

There's a reason that a stroll around the older grounds of UofT gives one a sense of serenity and calm. There's also a reason that a stroll around York's Keele campus invokes feelings of alienation, imprisonment, frigidity, and repulsion.

It seems like quite a simple concept to me, but Symmetry is usually of vital, aesthetic importance. London, Paris, Vienna, Amsterdam, New York - Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge - cities and university campuses alike that are built with common architectural themes. There's a reason these cities are beautiful to walk through.

The smorgasbord of experimental and "cutting-edge" and "currently artistic" buildings on the Keele campus, make one want to vomit through their eyeballs.

This "Centre of Negligence", like a facial tumor, attached to the front of the entirely red-brick (albeit in 60s blandness) campus of Glendon, throws anyone's view into complete discordance.

Oh Christ. Don't tell me people are rallying to save Brutalist buildings now...

Yes they are. And here's proof of the motivation.

Indeed, let's look here in the Inventory of Heritage Properties

The following 14 buildings or building complexes on York University's Keele Campus were adopted by City Council On Nov. 30 & Dec. 1, 2, 4, and 7, 2009. Winter's College (1967), Staecie Science Library (1966), Scott Library (1970), Ross Building (1970), Atkinson College (1966), Tait McKenzie Physical Education (1966), Petrie Sciences (1968), Founder's College (1965), Osgoode Hall Law School (1968), McLaughlin College (1969), Farquarson Life Sciences Building (1970), Vanier College (1967), Lecture Hall One (1966).

Fascinating, but I don't get it. Simply because they were built in a specific era, they should be heritage properties, even if the architecture is depressing at best? I know it's subjective, but I'd be surprised if many people would rather have them in eyesight than not.

On another note, I'm still not clear on your attitude towards Brutalism. If you like it, so be it, I just can't grasp whether you're defending it, or making fun of it.

Back