602     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Glasshouse Lofts Condos (Presidential Group, Exeter) - Real Estate -

carturo15

Member Bio
Reaction score
Guys,

What do you think about this building and location in terms of investment? what is the price per sq ft in this area?

this building has gone through so many incarnations that i can't be sure what the last floorplans were.

however, if the last plans i saw were correct, then the layouts were quite poor.

if prices are less than $400 PSF, then perhaps one could consider it; however, if it's close to other projects then it's not worth it IMO since Queen St. E. is still a gritty area so why pay a premium for it?

I am quite interested in this building as well as a short term investment. It's certainly not a chi-chi area but I don't think it's that bad either. I've seen grittier. It's close enough to walk to all the areas I frequent during the course of the week (financial core, st lawrence area) that it works well for me. I'm only interested in small units and unfortunately the smallest they had available as of a few days ago was 711 sq ft for $292,900. Guess I'll have to wait and see what comes up on mls once the building is registered, although that probably won't be till next year.

I bought a pre-sale at King East and if you had told me 10, heck even 5, years ago that some day i'd be living at King/Parliament, I'd say you were out of your frakin' mind! And yet, the area has changed enough in my eye that i makes sense to me now. I think the glasshouse area is changing as well, slowly but surely.

Glasshouse is located adjacent to the Fred Victor Centre. This shelter is home to some of the more colorful transients in Toronto.

Spend some time on the corner of Jarvis and Queen after 9pm to get a decent "feel" for living in the area.

Also, as was mentioned above this project has had a long and tumultuous history. On-again, Off-again would be an understatement.

Glasshouse is located adjacent to the Fred Victor Centre. This shelter is home to some of the more colorful transients in Toronto.

Spend some time on the corner of Jarvis and Queen after 9pm to get a decent "feel" for living in the area.

Also, as was mentioned above this project has had a long and tumultuous history. On-again, Off-again would be an understatement.

how about 1 or 2 blocks west or south? it's not that bad. it's just 5 minutes walking distance to eaton centre or st lawrence market. street car at the building door and very close to queen subway station

isnt this right by Moss park? I've never been there, so I can only go from things I've read about in the papers... (and while they do embellish stories, -there's likely some truth to the negative press).

Not sure about this area as a 'short-term' investment...

Area's not bad at all, really - it's like 100m from Vu.

Biggest drawback would be that it's almost inevitable that a condo project will go up at the corner of Queen & Jarvis within the next 5-10 years (at most). You'll be dealing with a lot of construction.

Also this building doesn't appeal to me at all. But I could see how some could like it.

I know, it's not the best street in downtown, it's ok if you south or west, but the east side is horrible with the Fred Victor Centre. However the interiors of the building looks really nice, high ceilings, hardwood floors, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, glass backsplash, gas on kitchen and balconies, high quality finishes.

I lived just east of the Fred Victor Centre for a year above a store on Queen overlooking Moss Park. While there were some weird aspects of the neighbourhood, it wasn't really all that bad. My neighbours were a lawyer, a journalist and a small architect firm. Given the Glasshouse is west of Jarvis I think you could avoid the FVC factor for the most part.

I'm not sure how this project's history is a black mark. It was delayed from the early '90s given the recession, just like Bay Adelaide Centre and a lot of other projects. It's completely built now and, though I don't like the East/West wall cladding, it isn't exactly Cityplace. I remember the finished being nice and all units have gas stoves (big plus). I would imagine another condo would join at the corner of Queen & Jarvis. The French Quarter at Richmond & Jarvis is pretty sweet, as is Vu.

If it compares favorably pricewise I would go for it. Under $300K for a liveable 1br sounds OK - c.$410/sqft

From my understanding the problem with this building in the past was the size of the units, it was designed for bigger units in sq ft and there was not market for such big units in the area. That's why they decided to design the new building with smaller units, most of them under 600 sq ft and it was sold very fast and on top of that, they included high quality finishes for the units.

Glasshouse - Queen and Jarvis. Good investment?

So I made a very good quick profit on buying and selling a unit in GLAS -- it was a place to live + invest. Now I'm buying again.

Price wise Glasshouse seems great (about $450 per sq ft) as it's available for move in and I've been told very close to registration (they met all deficiencies). Every other built decent condo I'm finding in the core is around $550 per sq ft.

What are peoples thoughts? Good investment? Decent place to live for a couple years?

Appreciate feedback!

I think a it's a great location, close proximity to subway, right in the core, good building. however its whats kept next to the building is the issue, the worst part of queen street begins on the other side of the street.

Area is a little "meh" but the finishes are nice and I think the area will eventually get a makeover...

Back