265     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 226     0 

Glass Builidngs - Poor Energy Efficiency

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
With so many green initiatives being introduced (and mandated) in Toronto I've thought a few times, what about all the floor to ceiling glass condos and office towers? I was going to research it but then this came along today which touches on the subject

Letting go of longing for light

http://www.thestar.com/gta/columnist/article/642307

The implication here is that maintenance costs in some of these glass boxes could eventually rise disproportionately??

I have always had an intuition that this would be the case, but it would be good to get some hard data from the M and E people.

UD:

For the record, that individual was booted not for expressing the view of glass buildings being energy inefficient, but for his repeated attempts at spamming multiple threads with his views on the matter.

AoD

Phew!!!

The fact that glass is not as efficient at insulation as brick, wood, or concrete, or cement should not be shocking really.

I do think that maintenance fees for all glass towers will be higher on average than towers that have some brick, concrete exposure.

The bigger question is, maintenance fees for condos/townhouses is getting to be way too expensive.

It's ASHRAE and it's very important. ;)

Could UT have a rule about one-issue wonders? I can think of a few others around (naming no names).

B

Back