News   Jul 16, 2024
 656     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 586     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 728     2 

Germany and Austria

My younger brother failed his driving test about a year ago, and one of the reasons was because he didn't stick to the right lane. Despite this, I told him to stay in the left lane, or at least the furthest through lane to the right, and go with the flow of traffic. This is because the far right lane tends to end or exit with little to no warning. Despite the law saying you should stick to the right, it seems as if our roads were designed to use the right and middle lanes as acceleration/deceleration lanes or designed for local traffic for the left through traffic lane.

My favourite example of this: On Woodbine Ave. a little north of me, You see this:

http://maps.google.com/maps/myplace...=geBV0umrXfogJKaBWCWfAw&cbp=12,22.79,,0,18.65

Then just beyond the hill, you have this:

http://maps.google.com/maps/myplace...id=o39usJG_-ZCXDl-SVkfY6A&cbp=12,8.32,,0,2.16

/facepalm

Then that person shouldn't be in the middle lane. If you're doing less than the people to the right of you, you should get over to the right. But as long as you are consistently going faster than everyone in the right lane (especially when the right lane is full), then it's safer if you avoid weaving back and forth between lanes.
That makes sense. I think where people get annoyed is when people refuse to move into the right lane when there's no traffic there. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get on the highway and immediately jump into the middle lane when the right lane is completely empty.

If you're doing less than the people to the right of you, you should get over to the right. But as long as you are consistently going faster than everyone in the right lane (especially when the right lane is full), then it's safer if you avoid weaving back and forth between lanes.
Okay!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get on the highway and immediately jump into the middle lane when the right lane is completely empty.
Even worse are the ones that get on, while your in the middle lane, and are going about 10 km/hr slower than you, and still move to the middle lane, even though the right lane is empty ... forcing you to either brake, or then go past them on the clear inside lane that they could have used.

I think a lot of this has to do with the improper speed limits on our 400-series highway. We're talking about people regularly doing 110 or 120 when the limit is clearly posted at 100 km/h. It's quite clear 100 km/h is NOT enforced. I regularly do over 100 on 400-series highways as do many others. If everyone was going the same speed, or close to the same speed, the rules would make more sense. If we increase the speed limit on highways to say 120, then people in the left and right lanes would actually do 120 and not sit in the middle lane at 100 or 110 km/h. If the limit was 120, then the people doing 100 would stay in the right lane.

At least that's what I think. We're in a stupid situation because the speed limits don't make sense because no one follows them.

I am planning a trip to Germany & Austria this September. I need to find an interactive map so I can calculate distance & time to each destination. We are traveling by car.

While driving today through Munich I noticed that residential streets have yield signs instead of four way stops. In my Cabbagetown neighborhood I see no reason that these can't be two way stops with yields the other direction.

My parents told me that we used to have ticketing cameras on highways here, but then they took them down, because people felt that they weren't really improving traffic conditions, and that it was just a cash grab. Dunno if this is true or not.

I also think the speed limits are conservatively placed at 100kph, because the 400-series highways were only built for speeds of 120kph. Not to mention that the speed limits act as a standard basis ALL throughout the entire year. So whether it is snowing, raining or sunny the speed limit remains constant at 100kph. In Texas I doubt they have the wide range of climatic conditions we experience here. Even in Germany the winters are less sever than here because of the underwater currents that pass Europe.

I have noticed that most trucks are behaving themselves better now that they are restricted to 105kph staying in the right lane as they should.

Question: How can you you identify a truck from Quebec at a distance of one kilometre?
Answer: It is tailgating some poor soul in the far left lane.

Side note, but if you want to see good drivers, go to Newfoundland. They know the rules of the road, and are extremely courteous too. For example, on the Trans-Canada Highway drivers will go 100km/h in the right lane and 110-120 in the left. Always. One time I was wanting to cross a 5 lane road in the outskirts of a small town to get from a mall to a McDonald's, made my way to the middle non-active lane and waited for the way to clear before crossing to the other side. The car which came by YIELDED to me to let me cross!

Worth noting that they have some of the highest gas prices in the country, so fuel savings may have also influenced their conservative driving habits.

While driving today through Munich I noticed that residential streets have yield signs instead of four way stops. In my Cabbagetown neighborhood I see no reason that these can't be two way stops with yields the other direction.

That isn't how yield signs work. Yield would mean that the car at the yield sign would be required to yield to the car at the stop sign, meaning the car with the yield would have to stop.

You can use stop signs or yield signs, you can't use them together.

Last edited:
I see in Germany that "Failure to use right lane, Hindering another vehicle on autobahns or highways" is a $112 fine.

Also, parking in a bike lane is a $140 fine with 3 demerit points.

Could go for some of that treatment here.

That isn't how yield signs work. Yield would mean that the car at the yield sign would be required to yield to the car at the stop sign, meaning the car with the yield would have to stop.

You can use stop signs or yield signs, you can't use them together.

I think stop signs are highly over-used, especially in quiet residential areas. 95% of the time when you reach an intersection there isn't another car in sight, yet you still have to stop. Putting in yield signs instead would save on gas and save on time.

Oh, and moderately used collector roads should have a lot more roundabouts. People tend to bitch when the first one goes in, but after that they seem to start screaming for more.

I am planning a trip to Germany & Austria this September. I need to find an interactive map so I can calculate distance & time to each destination. We are traveling by car.
http://maps.google.com
My parents told me that we used to have ticketing cameras on highways here, but then they took them down, because people felt that they weren't really improving traffic conditions, and that it was just a cash grab. Dunno if this is true or not.
Ontario introduced photo-radar in 1993. Due to public complaint and it's ineffectness (only localized speeds were affected) they were mostly removed from the 400-series under Harris.

I also think the speed limits are conservatively placed at 100kph, because the 400-series highways were only built for speeds of 120kph. Not to mention that the speed limits act as a standard basis ALL throughout the entire year. So whether it is snowing, raining or sunny the speed limit remains constant at 100kph. In Texas I doubt they have the wide range of climatic conditions we experience here. Even in Germany the winters are less sever than here because of the underwater currents that pass Europe.
I've heard 130kph as a design speed, but the point is equally valid. However, I'd like to clarify that the speed limit is NOT 100 kph in the snow, rain, or fog. You must drive according to conditions. If you are doing 90kph on the highway next to 30kph traffic on both sides, you're still likely to get a ticket.

Section 130 (Careless Driving) of the HTA states:
Every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than two years. 2009, c. 5, s. 41.

Side note, but if you want to see good drivers, go to Newfoundland. They know the rules of the road, and are extremely courteous too. For example, on the Trans-Canada Highway drivers will go 100km/h in the right lane and 110-120 in the left. Always. One time I was wanting to cross a 5 lane road in the outskirts of a small town to get from a mall to a McDonald's, made my way to the middle non-active lane and waited for the way to clear before crossing to the other side. The car which came by YIELDED to me to let me cross!

Worth noting that they have some of the highest gas prices in the country, so fuel savings may have also influenced their conservative driving habits.
The Maritimes have a whole different outlook in general. In Nova Scotia, people will get out of their cars and stand on the side of the road while a funeral passes. In Toronto and Waterloo, I've seen people cut into the middle of such processions or honk at people "running a light". It's about mutual respect for shared spaces.

Back