News   Jul 16, 2024
 88     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 459     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 567     2 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

You didn't read the article.

"Because of its size the bike won’t be allowed to operate in bike lanes, Tory said."

Further, for the electric-assist version, it looks like it's right out for a long time to come.

"There is no provincial classification for electric-assist cargo bikes heavier than 120 kg., and allowing the vehicles on the road would require changes to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act."

It might be that it should be a bike but it's not currently a bike.

Guess the Europeans are glad that Ontario does not set their laws and infrastructure on bicycles and their use.

A sobering article about bike thefts in this city.

Toronto bike thefts 'at crisis levels'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-as-only-1-were-recovered-last-year-1.4419320
I treat my bike like my dog, I never tie/lock it up anywhere I can't see it. When I have cycled to work, the bike comes in with me.

If you have to leave your bike outside while you work or shop, by a beater. For $50 to $80 there are tons of adult bikes available, many of them likely stolen, but you can't know https://www.kijiji.ca/b-bikes/city-of-toronto/bicycles/k0c644l1700273?price=50__80

I treat my bike like my dog, I never tie/lock it up anywhere I can't see it. When I have cycled to work, the bike comes in with me.

If you have to leave your bike outside while you work or shop, by a beater. For $50 to $80 there are tons of adult bikes available, many of them likely stolen, but you can't know https://www.kijiji.ca/b-bikes/city-of-toronto/bicycles/k0c644l1700273?price=50__80
Yeah...huge sigh...I have friends who've paid humongous amounts for their bike, many who've had them stolen before, and suggest after a long ride: "Hey, let's get something to eat". I reply, "Well, someone goes in for a takeout, sure, but there's no way I'm locking my bike out here, especially with just a cable lock, (cycling distance precludes heavy U-Locks) if we can't watch it". They get miffed. I haven't had a bike stolen for close to thirty years, and I caught the guy half an hour later (damn lucky, I was an idiot for leaving if for a few minutes while running into a variety store, corner of Parliament and Queen). They've all had bikes stolen within the past year or so. Hey....

I haven't read Salsa's link yet, I'm a bit too traumatized to look right now, the bike theft thing has been off the radar for a while. but it looks like it's as rampant as ever. I'll go a bit hungry until I get home or somewhere inside that I can lock it. And I'll keep it.

Bike theft is especially rampant at the old rental apartment towers that were built in the 60s, 70s and 80s. They usually do not have a dedicated bike parking in their basement, some even just having outdoor bike racks accessible to anyone.

If we want to increase cycling mode share, one good way to start is by securing suitable bike storage facilities in some of our older apartment neighbourhoods like Davisville, High Park and St James Town.

Bike theft is especially rampant at the old rental apartment towers that were built in the 60s, 70s and 80s. They usually do not have a dedicated bike parking in their basement, some even just having outdoor bike racks accessible to anyone.

If we want to increase cycling mode share, one good way to start is by securing suitable bike storage facilities in some of our older apartment neighbourhoods like Davisville, High Park and St James Town.
When I moved into my present address, an apartment, one of the signed agreements was "No dogs, no bikes in apartments". I immediately knew that neither was enforceable, and that to put my bike in the room in the sub-basement was a guarantee of losing parts or the entirety of it.

Condo law could possibly ban bikes, dogs, and diggerydoos, but apartments, at least in Toronto, can't.

So I wonder who in their right mind with a quality machine wouldn't take it into their apartment? If people are worried about dirt and derangement, perhaps they should travel by butterfly? You can buy mats if the bike comes in wet, better machines you can pop the wheels off with QR, front wheel off means being able to turn handlebars sideways, and compacting the space taken in a hallway or cupboard. Many hang their bikes on a "bicycle hook".
upload_2017-11-28_11-11-7.jpeg
More images for bicycle hook

Perhaps I've lost my sense of decorum being only a cyclist in Ontario the last three decades? I love it, I want to keep it, it stays with me. Management have seen me taking the dog (not mine, but he spends a lot of time with me) and the bike on the elevators, and they know the look on my face: 'There's nothing to stop me doing it'.

Has anyone run into problems with their management on taking bikes into their apartment?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-28_11-11-7.jpeg
    2.3 KB · Views: 629
    992 bytes · Views: 615
    1.7 KB · Views: 628
    2.4 KB · Views: 611
    1.1 KB · Views: 664
    1.9 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
My condo allows it but a lot don't, and I have heard of people being harassed about it by security and/or management. As you have posted, there are many interesting and creative storage solutions for keeping bikes in small spaces.

My condo allows it but a lot don't, and I have heard of people being harassed about it by security and/or management.
I suppose condos don't want bike tyres and frames damaging walls, elevators and dirtying floors. I imagine the same could be said of a large bundle buggy.

^^ And strollers.
And many things, hockey gear, sofas, safaris...imploding black holes in their own little universes..

The point is this: If you have a machine you respect and love, you're not going to *willingly* leave it where it might be harmed or migrate. I have limited sympathy for myself or others if they don't take appropriate steps to ensure that safety.

You wouldn't do it with a prize guitar, yet I'm astounded at how many musician friends trust lamposts, u-locks and chains to satiate their sense of foreboding on their bike.

The Admiral and I may disagree on the pliability of Bixi to satisfy ones need to take flight (Bixis can never get off the runway) but when it comes to leaving dear and intimate objects outside with little more than a leash attached....Like the Admiral, I'm speechless. Ironically, this came up in conversation with two otherwise very interesting people I met today, and shared long conversation with. Both uni teachers, both have had valuable bikes stolen...??? I asked one as per when she was still at UoT when the last theft occurred: Q: "How long did you leave it there?" A: "Only for four hours..."

I don't get it...and yet our conversation revolved around the changing values of this generation. This was an academically gifted woman. And yet thieves are incredibly agnostic people when it comes to their pastime, no matter which generation it occurs in.

Addendum: Did a quick Google, must run, not much showing for apartments and Ont Law, but for Condos:
http://ontario.cafcor.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=31&func=view&catid=2&id=14211

I'll do a more thorough dig later, this is a very germaine topique..

Last edited:
Here's a story from 2015 on this topic https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ement-for-fourth-bike-theft-in-14-months.html

Easiest fix for keeping bikes (mostly) out of condos is to deal with the problem the bike owners are trying to solve, i.e. theft. So, offer secure bike storage, not a cage where the mark can be assessed. For example, like this http://www.pedalpod.com/
I feel incredibly sorry for those victimized, by there is a degree of 'Caveat Emptor' about this.

First, the TorStar article:
[...]
Real estate lawyer Bob Aaron said it’s very unusual for a condo to prohibit tenants from storing bikes in their units or common spaces.

Tenants should check the rules and bylaws of their condo to be sure, he advised.

If there is a prohibition against keeping a bike inside your unit, tenants can ask their condo board of directors to change the rule, he said. If they’re not cooperative, a majority of tenants can vote to replace the board.

Storing your bike inside is the safest option since even the best locks can be broken, said Taylor Cook, a sales’ associate at Sweet Pete’s Bike Shop.

About 3,070 bikes were reported stolen in the city last year, according to Toronto police.

McGregor protected her last bike with a Kryptonite U-lock, a cable and security screws for her seat post and wheels. Now on to bike number five, she said she’s running out of options.

“I’m already considering moving because management doesn’t have my back.”
There's a very eloquent option she isn't thinking about and should, even I'm very seriously considering it for a winter bike: A fold-up. Fold it up before going inside. How in hell are they going to stop you then? You can get cheaper ones suitable for her needs second hand, or even new for a reasonable price. Really good ones cost more, of course, like any quality machines.

And those PedalPods? Errr...no. The Sweet Pete's associate nailed it. Take it inside with you. If that means a fold-up, so be it.

BicycleDutch has a great video on residential bicycle parking in the Netherlands. Doesn't really help existing units, but it would be great if new condos had what's shown at 1:40.

Essentially, apartment renters/condo owners would also have a small enclosed dedicated room with easy bike access to the outside. These would replace the storage units that many condos usually have for residents, as well as replacing those bike rooms/cages. Residents could use it for their bike, and/or as a storage unit for other stuff.

Back