News   Jul 15, 2024
 351     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 517     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I remember that they *predicted* travel times on Jarvis would increase. I doubt they kept the lanes around long enough to really measure the impact. That's what I'm suggesting running it as a pilot allowed them to do. I strongly suspect that the total count of traffic on Richmond and Adelaide has gone down, and that's why travel times haven't been affected. Also the bike lanes are pulling cyclists out of mixed traffic which would have happened on Jarvis as well.

They actually did measure the impact. Cycling increased, and travel time for cars increased by a few minutes.

However, it was believed that the increase in travel time could have been solved by eliminating a left turn at Gerrard (I think it was Gerrard).

Maybe with the talk about the Scarborough LRT rising from the dead, maybe the Jarvis bicycle lanes will also rise from the dead?

IIRC, Jarvis is getting a total rebuild around 2020 (sewer, concrete road base, ...). This was expected to include a redesign by planning looking at things like wider sidewalks. I suspect that center lane will disappear sooner or later.

The Charles/Mount Pleasant/Jarvis intersection could use some love too.

Last edited:
Maybe the NIMBYs and single-occupant drivers will blame the TTC, like they did with Leslie's sewer and watermain work.

More than a few people working on Consumers Road blamed TTC for the Sheppard sewer work the last couple years.

There are a few spots along that stretch of Sheppard that are really gnarly to drive over where they did the sewer work. Around the Consumers Road intersection especially IIRC. As a PSA, avoid the EB curb lane between Yorkland and Settlers if you're driving and value your car's suspension.

Would like to see Bay Street use the retractable bollards like Cambridge, which would keep private automobiles out. Vehicles, including delivery trucks and taxis, using transponders are allowed in. Guess Uber would also need transponders to get in, which means they have to get permission from city hall, AKA license.

I think that would work on a street that has more shops & restaurants and is more conducive to walking/biking than Bay.

Here's a town in the Netherlands that has barred most cars from the centre:

https://goo.gl/maps/jxUCx

The movable bollards are activated by a pass issued to the driver. You can also drive in at certain times provided you are going in for a designated purpose such as a delivery.

Sometimes the obstacle is a pop-up triangle:

https://goo.gl/maps/FBQMB

(This can also be used to slow down motor vehicle access to roads in less built-up areas: https://goo.gl/maps/CMhCk)

Parking is provided before many of the access points:

https://goo.gl/maps/otIjy

... even underground bike parking:

22_4_fietsenstalling_kerkstraat.jpg

It all makes for a much more pleasant walking and shopping experience (in fact it's a better place to walk than bike, but public transit isn't hampered either).

How do I get from the Brickworks bike path to the path that runs along the Don River? To my knowledge there is no bike path connection.

Cross Bayview at the bike signal in front of the Brickworks then either ride the shoulder to Pottery Rd or the trail in the grass.

How do I get from the Brickworks bike path to the path that runs along the Don River? To my knowledge there is no bike path connection.

At the Brickworks take a left at Bayview, use the paved shoulder on Bayview until Pottery Rd, then on Pottery Rd you will intersect the Don River trail.

Screen shot 2015-08-22 at 1.50.22 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-08-22 at 1.50.22 AM.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Screen shot 2015-08-22 at 1.50.22 AM.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 433
There's a great video on parking-protected bike lanes: www.vimeo.com/cupola/speck3

I have created an animated GIF from framegrabs from that video:

0ca4d5f7af182ea267f20b4e1d4db29e[1].gif

(originally created for an RTH comments board about the upcoming Herkimer/Charlton parking-protected bike lanes in my city)

Attachments

• 0ca4d5f7af182ea267f20b4e1d4db29e[1].gif
    0ca4d5f7af182ea267f20b4e1d4db29e[1].gif
    170.4 KB · Views: 419
Had a great ride today. Carlton to Sherbourne, south and then along Martin Goodman trail to Humber River, up Humber Trail to Old Mill Stn to grab train due to exhaustion and strong headwind. Station was closed, so ride to Jane stn, subway to Sherbourne, through St. Jamestown to Wellesley, eastward back into Cabbagetown and home. Not including the subway we rode 20 kms. A great day out.

Had a great ride today. Carlton to Sherbourne, south and then along Martin Goodman trail to Humber River, up Humber Trail to Old Mill Stn to grab train due to exhaustion and strong headwind. Station was closed, so ride to Jane stn, subway to Sherbourne, through St. Jamestown to Wellesley, eastward back into Cabbagetown and home. Not including the subway we rode 20 kms. A great day out.
The Humber river trail is one of my favourites in the city. It can be a bit crowded towards the lower end, but the further up you go, the nicer it gets and the less crowded it gets. Now if they would just fill in the gap in Rexdale where you have to haul your bike up stairs and bike in serious traffic that does not give space to bikes.

Hi guys, new to the forum, recently moved downtown. Thanks for this, I'm going to have to try this out.

Back