News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

In the past month I've seen 5 people go through a red light in downtown Toronto. Drivers, that is.

I get really tired of people in Rosedale creeping through a red to make a right hand turn onto Yonge while I'm crossing the street. If someone proposed a "no rights on red" law for downtown Toronto; I'd be strongly in favour.

Urban advocate Gil Peñalosa and councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam are working to bring "open street" periods to Toronto

Read More: http://torontoist.com/2013/02/ciclovias-open-up-streets-and-the-city/

In the future, people will be able to travel around Toronto without the aid of cars and public transportation. They can have brunch in Leslieville, fly over to hike in High Park, and enjoy dinner in Etobicoke without turning on the ignition or even doling out subway fare.

Perhaps you’re envisioning a far-off space age, each of us with a jet pack. But if you are Gil Peñalosa, the executive director of 8-80 Cities, and Kristyn Wong-Tam (Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale), the future is almost here. And that self-propelled vehicle? It’s you. On a bike. Or maybe roller blades. On foot. Or who knows, maybe on a dog sled or snowshoes in the wintry months. Peñalosa and Wong-Tam are trying to bring ciclovías (see-clo-VI-as) to Toronto. Spanish for “bike path,†the original Ciclovía was created in 1976, and ran through part of Bogotá, Colombia. In the mid-’90s, Peñalosa, then Bogotá’s commissioner of recreation, decided to revive and radically expand the Ciclovía, to dramatic effect.

The new ciclovía is a simple concept: the city opens up certain streets to non-motorized traffic, and people are free to do as they please in the public space. Essentially, it turns long stretches of the city into a paved park. Cars are permitted to move through the city, but they are restricted to certain routes. (When you talk to him about it, Peñalosa is quick to say that the city is opening up to the people instead of being shut down or off to cars.) In Bogotá and other Colombian cities, they do this from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sundays and holidays; hundreds of thousands of people come out and take part. Other cities around the world have started introducing them as well.

ciclovia-toronto-kristyn-wong-tam-1.jpg

I get really tired of people in Rosedale creeping through a red to make a right hand turn onto Yonge while I'm crossing the street. If someone proposed a "no rights on red" law for downtown Toronto; I'd be strongly in favour.
I find snowballs are effective some days. I haven't quite figured out what works well most days other than swearing at the driver at the top of my lungs ... but then people look at you funny.

I find snowballs are effective some days. I haven't quite figured out what works well most days other than swearing at the driver at the top of my lungs ... but then people look at you funny.

I keep meaning to jump onto their hood but I'm always so surprised everytime it happens that I forget to jump and just get pushed a foot or two by the bumper.

I keep meaning to jump onto their hood but I'm always so surprised everytime it happens that I forget to jump and just get pushed a foot or two by the bumper.
Wow, if they are actually making contact, you'd be safer to jump on their hood, so the car doesn't go over you, if they don't actually stop!

Wow, if they are actually making contact, you'd be safer to jump on their hood, so the car doesn't go over you, if they don't actually stop!

Yeah, I know but I'm literally too surprised to jump.

From http://www.mybikeadvocate.com/2013/02/a-look-at-why-bicyclists-should-take.html:

A Look At Why Bicyclists Should Take The Lane

During last week's interview on WGN Radio one caller asked me why bicyclists sometimes ride in the middle of the lane, blocking passage by faster moving vehicles. I explained that in order to make themselves more visible to drivers and discourage attempts to pass dangerously close, bicyclists can and should take the lane. The idea is to encourage motorists to change lanes if they wish to pass reducing the likelihood of a dangerous miscalculation. More and more states are passing laws which prohibit drivers from passing too closely to cyclists. In Illinois, drivers must give them at least three feet of space when passing.

Recently, I came across an excellent graphic produced by iamtraffic.org which effectively demonstrates why is is so important for a cyclist to take the lane when riding on a road where the lane width is insufficient for sharing by bike and car together:

480654_156467597843296_1062126059_n.png

To be used on streets like Jarvis Street or on streets where the snow windrows are still blocking the bicycle lanes.

In the past month I've seen 5 people go through a red light in downtown Toronto. Drivers, that is.

I've also seen many not stopping at stop signs, idling on pedestrian crosswalks, etc.

I understand that in Etobicoke or Mississauga, where most people are on car, you would build everything around them. But it's so obvious that in downtown Toronto most people exist as pedestrians, cyclists, and transit riders, that we should be doing much more to accommodate them.

Is that all? I see at least one every time I leave the house. I saw two at Bay and Queen this morning alone. I've noticed that bus and streetcar drivers are increasingly ignoring traffic lights.

Chief planner wants streets safer for bikes

Read More: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...s-safer-for-bikes/article9254279/?cmpid=rss1\

City figures show that nearly a third of travel in downtown Toronto is now by bicycle or on foot. On even the worst winter days, cyclists are spotted on streets in the city core.

- Toronto chief planner Jennifer Keesmaat is concerned, though, that many people in that growing constituency are pedalling in close proximity to motorists, a situation she said leaves everyone in a bad position. “What we need to move towards is a framework where we see cycling as a legitimate form of transportation, and we are ensuring that drivers have the space they need and we’re ensuring that cyclists have the space that they need,†she said in a recent interview.

- But lurking in the background is a history of acrimony over cycling in Toronto, where reasonable debate has often got lost among polarized viewpoints. Two Toronto councillors sparked a flurry of backlash when they proposed last month to eliminate a bylaw on cyclists riding side by side, a rule made redundant by the Highway Traffic Act. Their motion, which was referred to committee, prompted outbursts typified by the on-line commentator who wrote that “bicycles should always be treated as toys and kept off all major streets.â€

- In Toronto, meanwhile, the debate around commuting has more often been dominated by how the region can pay for massive transit plans that will cost tens of billions and take decades to finish. But Ms. Keesmaat noted at one of the city’s recent series of congestion meetings that cycling infrastructure can be put in place relatively quickly and cheaply but still have a “transformative†effect. The planner believes that there are three groups in the cycling debate: those who will never ride no matter the inducements; those who don’t need any encouraging to ride; and a middle group ready to be swayed. Persuading even some of the latter group can have a big impact, she argued.

bike-lanes21nw1.jpg

^ I'm one of those in the middle group practically begging to be swayed. All the city has to do is build proper segregated lanes and I'll jump at the chance to commute via bicycle. I bet there are thousands more just like me, who can't stand car culture but want safer cycling infrastructure in place before enthusiastically taking the plunge.

Yeah, it's really quite silly how some people don't see it. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought of cycling downtown. Now I bike everywhere, even in winter.

People go from non-cyclists to cyclists with the same ease with which they go from drinking budweiser to enjoying a craft IPA. It's a transition that's hard to predict for the subject in question but happens very naturally once viable options are provided.

By providing good triggers and making it safer the potential for a city like Toronto to embrace cycling as one of its main forms of transport is immense. Public transit lines downtown would be immensely relieved from it, too.

What really surprises me is how poor the city's plan for clearing bike lanes of snow is. A week after a storm, you could still find bike lanes with piles of snow and parked cars. The standard for clearing bike lanes should be no different than for car lanes. Is it that hard to restrict parking for a few hours or tow away cars to plow up to the curb? It amazes me that there are so many cities in Canada and the US where cycling is still seen as an activity for three seasons at most, but in Toronto where we have a strong cycling culture, the city nonetheless operates with the apparent assumption that cycling isn't for winter and that you can therefore dump snow or park cars in bikes lanes in the winter.

The City of Toronto still considers bicycling as recreational, not transportation. The City does not clear snow from bike paths through the city, except for 13.2 km of the Martin Goodman Trail from Northern Dancer in the east and to the bridge at South Kingsway in the west.
The trail is salted and ploughed to make pavement bare. Ploughing is done after receiving 5cm of snow, and begins 6 to 8 hours after the snowfall has ended. The Martin Goodman Trail takes aproximately 5 hours to complete.
From this link.

As long as Rob Ford wants bicycles off the streets and separated from when he drives his car, and the bureaucracy considers biking as recreational only, only Mother Nature can help to clear the snow. The mindset at City Hall has to change to consider biking as transportation.

One has to commend Toronto's cyclists for being some of the hardiest on the planet. They'll keep cycling through white-out storms, when it's -15 and when the bike lanes are filled with dumped snow and cars. But they shouldn't have to "rough it" with the latter. Bike lanes need to be cleared quickly, no matter how much snow we get. It's important in nurturing the city's bike culture and getting more people cycling year round.

Back