News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 946     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

After hearing a cyclist died from a fall caused by no helmet and jammed tires in streetcar tracks (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1237950) .. does anyone know the size required for this to happen? I know my 40c will get stuck at switches - but are ok elsewhere.

I would not completely rely on the tyre size as there are other conditions ( primarily rain and/or age of your tyres, uneven road surface) which can still cause you to take a nasty spill on the trolley tracks. Perhaps learn how to "jump" over the track section and pay attention to your surroundings.

Most road, hybrid or urban bikes will get caught in the tracks easy. Most of the time, they can be avoided, but not always, such as during a sudden defensive manoeuvre.

Last edited:
Most road, hybrid or urban bikes will get caught in the tracks easy. Most of the time, they can be avoided, but not always, such as during a sudden defensive manoeuvre.

I saw a women in Amsterdam go for a spill yesterday after her wheel caught the rail, as she wasn't looking where she was going.

Then today in Copenhagen, saw a 7 cyclists pileup, as one of the rider wasn't looking where he was going and ran into the other rider who ran into another for a chain reaction. None were wearing helmets and I would say same for 60% of the riders I saw today.

From my days riding TTC rails, you need to be aware of what is around you and ahead to void the spills on the tracks. You need to hit them right to void the spill or slide. Wet weather will may it more slippy and you need to take more care crossing the tracks.

Or by not paying attention while taking in the finishing touches at the AGO nearing the end of construction on Dundas Street and .... (ouch!). That was the worst injury on my bike since I was a kid, all my fault of course and I knew better.

Seriously though, everyone should be really damned angry that we put our lives in such jeopardy every time we get on a bike in this city. This summer has by far been the worst in my 26 or 27 years of cycling downtown with the very few bike lanes that we have being blocked due to construction at numerous points, streetcar tracks being stored in bike lanes for upcoming rehabilitation etc. Then there's drivers that are more aggressive against cyclists than they have ever been before. My new thing late this spring was "taking a lane" when I felt it unsafe to cycle along the curb - that idea didn't last long, I nearly got run off the road several times so I gave up on that idea pretty quickly.

Then there's drivers that are more aggressive against cyclists than they have ever been before.
Odd that you should say that. As a pedestrian, I've been nearly hit by cyclists more time this year, than I have ever been nearly hit by a car. And each time, I was either crossing the road on a pedestrian signal, or I was getting on or off a streetcar.

I've noticed an uptick in aggressive cyclists. If (some) cyclists are half-as-aggressive with cars, as they are with pedestrians lately, it's not surprising that drivers are being aggressive against cyclists!

My new thing late this spring was "taking a lane" when I felt it unsafe to cycle along the curb - that idea didn't last long, I nearly got run off the road several times so I gave up on that idea pretty quickly.
I believe that's what bikes are supposed to do. I'm tired of standing on the sidewalk (and I mean the sidewalk, not the curb between the sidewalk and the road), and having bikes whiz pass so close to me, that I'm surprised the handlebars don't hit me. Makes me wish they'd put the old catchbasins back in that caught bike wheels, so that bikes would respect those on the sidewalk a bit more, because they clearly don't seem to think they should be staying away from the edge of the road.

If you're walking close enough to be clipped by handlebars, you could also be hit in the head by the side mirror of a van or truck. Do us all a favour and take a step back from the curb yourself.

As to the rant against aggressive cyclists, I'll just note that, of the 150 Toronto pedestrians killed in collisions in the last 5 years, cyclists were involved in only 1 or 2 cases. So yes some cyclists can do better but cars are the real problem.

This article from the Times last weekend says it all better than me.

If you're walking close enough to be clipped by handlebars, you could also be hit in the head by the side mirror of a van or truck. Do us all a favour and take a step back from the curb yourself.
As I noted, I'm back from the curb. Generally in line with the poles ... which of course means that bike would hit the pole as well ... and they don't, so it's mostly just perception. I don't find trucks pass as close to the curb as bikes. And they certainly don't try and squeeze between a car and the curb, which of course is illegal and dangerous.

So yes some cyclists can do better but cars are the real problem.
And yet I've never had a car chase me down a sidewalk, cursing at me that I'm on the sidewalk, or run a red, and then give me the finger for using the pedestrian crossing! There are some real headcases out there on bikes, who likely would never be able to pass an exam to operate a motor vehicle. It would be nice to see the police TAVIS a few of them.

Again, bikes passing between stopped cars and the curb is not illegal, but it certainly can be dangerous. There is nothing in the HTA that specifically prohibits it.

And yes, when possible, cyclists are supposed to ride in a straight line, and beyond the catchbasins, grates, and debris on the side of the curb. A metre out from the curb is what they teach in CAN-BIKE.

Last edited:
The media have been referring to the bike in this case becoming 'trapped' or 'stuck' or 'jammed' as if becoming immobile, whereas I think almost no one has tires wide enough for that to actually happen. My 700 x 40s will end up in the track groove sometimes, but it's the loss of control that comes from sliding over the rail and into the rut that is the problem.

And yet I've never had a car chase me down a sidewalk, cursing at me that I'm on the sidewalk, or run a red, and then give me the finger for using the pedestrian crossing! There are some real headcases out there on bikes, who likely would never be able to pass an exam to operate a motor vehicle. It would be nice to see the police TAVIS a few of them.

But road rage from motorists happens often. I come across a case every few weeks. (What do I do to bring it on, you wonder? I believe it's OK to change lanes and merge in front of another car, as long as I signal and give the driver time to notice me. Some Toronto drivers clearly disagree: The reaction is "Hey, I'm driving here!")

The difference between idiots on bikes and idiots in cars is obvious: only the latter is likely to kill you.

But road rage from motorists happens often. I come across a case every few weeks. (What do I do to bring it on, you wonder? I believe it's OK to change lanes and merge in front of another car, as long as I signal and give the driver time to notice me. Some Toronto drivers clearly disagree: The reaction is "Hey, I'm driving here!")

The difference between idiots on bikes and idiots in cars is obvious: only the latter is likely to kill you.

Yep. There seems to be a lot of resentment from some drivers even if you are merely following the rules. I rode maybe 80 m in the centre lane on John St from the lights to the next intersection to be able to make a left (there was no bike lane) and yet some **** in an Audi told me I couldn't be there, 'blocking the lane like that'. If it was that big a deal to him to be 'stuck' behind me for 30 seconds, he should have gotten to the lights earlier.

There are few things more frustrating than following the rules and being yelled at by drivers anyway. Just like this past weekend, when I came to a narrow single-lane section of a two-way road. I pulled to the side and waited for the traffic in the opposite direction to pass. When there was a gap, I started riding through the single-lane section. Half way through a SUV came into the single lane section without stopping (making me swerve to avoid getting hit) and yelled at me that cyclists shouldn't be on the road.

It feels like there are like some drivers out there that complain that cyclists don't follow the rules then complain when cyclists following the rules inconveniences them.

So if a bicycle hits me head on, while I'm crossing a pedestrian crossing, it won't injure me? You really think this? Sure, cars would too ... but at least with a car, you can sense it's intentions easier ... they start slowing down earlier, and don't try and play "let's blow through the pedestrian crossing, because it's all right, if I go past at 20 km/hr as long as the pedestrian has 6-inches clearance".

Again, bikes passing between stopped cars and the curb is not illegal, but it certainly can be dangerous. There is nothing in the HTA that specifically prohibits it.
Really ... I always thought it was. Should be illegal.

There are few things more frustrating than following the rules and being yelled at by drivers anyway.
This keeps happening to me, but the drivers are driving bicycles.

Half way through a SUV came into the single lane section without stopping (making me swerve to avoid getting hit) and yelled at me that cyclists shouldn't be on the road.
I guess Rob Ford was testing out his new vehicle ...

Last edited:

Back