News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 375     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Painted Chevrons at Intersections

Bike lanes were added on Wellesley Street East and West this spring (with no impact on drivers or existing parking spaces). This past week, Chevrons and a bike logo were painted onto the road at, and near, the intersection of where I live between the area where the bike lane ends, and the intersection itself. Presumably this is to help cyclists from being "bumped" or "squeezed" where no marked bike lane exists.
I haven't noticed this elsewhere as I haven't cycled recently, but I presume (and hope) that this will become standard.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Wellesley east of Jarvis -

Wellesley west of Jarvis -

9 Million seems like a lot of money for bike racks on the front of buses. Anyway, buses are moved around, they don't run the same route forever so outfitting buses in areas where the bike racks are more likely to be used would result in some buses having them, and some not. My take is it's better to be consistent and not go about the matter in a half-assed manner.

I don't think many people use the racks to ride a few blocks to their destination. I see them more likely to be used in a scenario such as someone who doesn't want to ride in city traffic. They get off at (example) Sherbourne subway, load the bike on the rack and rides the bus down to the end of Sherbourne to hit the Martin Goodman trail.

I use the bike racks to cut my 20 minute walk to the bus stop to four minutes. From there, I use transit to Union Station then ride another 5 minutes up to Ryerson instead of walking 20 minutes. This is what I think the main benefit of bike racks are - helping people who live too far from the local bus stop to walk.

Bike lanes were added on Wellesley Street East and West this spring (with no impact on drivers or existing parking spaces). This past week, Chevrons and a bike logo were painted onto the road at, and near, the intersection of where I live between the area where the bike lane ends, and the intersection itself. Presumably this is to help cyclists from being "bumped" or "squeezed" where no marked bike lane exists.
I haven't noticed this elsewhere as I haven't cycled recently, but I presume (and hope) that this will become standard.

On the one hand, painting these are probably faster and cheaper than going through the process of installing full bike lanes, but I've heard many bike advocates seeing these as a cop out. A painted line makes a bigger impression, they say.

Last edited:
On the one hand, painting these are probably faster and cheaper than going through the process of installing full bike lanes, but I've heard many bike advocates seeing these as a cop out. A painted line makes a bigger impression, they say.

The centre line in the road was slightly realigned, and bike lanes added in March or April as can be seen in the photos above. The chevron additions were painted late last week.

Annette Street was resurfacing and repainted this spring for bicycle lanes. However, the signage still allows parking, and motorized vehicles are occupying the spaces where the bike lanes are. I think that once the bicycle silhouettes are painted on, the signage will be changed.
That leaves only the portion between Keele Street and Dundas Street West as it was.

I like the chevron sharrows a lot. In some cases it's better than a bike lane.

In fact, at bike-laned intersections where cars turn right, there should be sharrows instead of the spotty bike line which really does more harm than good.

Sadly, this is probably too logical for Toronto...

Idaho Stop one way to fuel 'war on the car'

Why not allow cyclists to essentially treat stop signs as yield signs?

JEFF GRAY
Friday, May. 29, 2009 09:44PM EDT

Any idea to improve conditions for cycling or walking in this city, no matter how small or sensible, now seems likely to be tagged as part of an alleged "war on the car" and used by the mayor's critics on council to appeal to frustrated drivers.

Here's an idea that would light up talk-radio phone lines, even though it would do little more than legalize what many cyclists do every day anyway: It's called the Idaho Stop.

In Idaho, since 1982, cyclists have been allowed to essentially treat stop signs as yield signs, meaning they do not have to come to a complete stop.

Instead, they must slow down to a rolling stop, but must yield right-of-way to other traffic or pedestrians.

In Toronto, this would mean that police officers, when on a bike-safety blitz, would no longer have to sit at sleepy Annex intersections to hand out tickets to librarians in sundresses and would instead have to do something useful.

Almost no cyclist, even the most cautious, stops at stop signs in this city. Dr. Gridlock has previously smugly bragged that he does. But, in fact, he does not. He does Idaho stops.

Bike advocates in Portland - perhaps the U.S. urban cycling capital - appear to have failed in their push to have Oregon adopt an Idaho Stop law, despite arguing bike-car collisions went down in Idaho after it made the change.

Every cyclist knows that coming to a dead stop and starting up again is a pain, as the bicycle's efficient use of your pedal power depends on momentum. Making the current practice of some of the city's responsible cyclists legal might send a positive signal.

But there are many counterarguments, and not just from the get-out-of-my-car's-way crowd. Many cyclists now not only fail to stop, but also they fail to yield right-of-way. Many blow through not just stop signs but (on occasion) red stoplights.

Loosening the rules could lead to even more anarchy and confusion.

The efficiency argument would also prompt some to demand cars adopt Idaho stops to reduce pollution. Few drivers stop properly now, anyway. But cars are inherently more dangerous to pedestrians, cyclists and other cars, and so should perhaps follow different rules.

This brings us back to the city's alleged "war on the car." Two moments stood out in last week's city-council session dominated by this theme, as politicians debated bike lanes on Jarvis Street, a redesign for Roncesvalles Avenue and a test ban, at 10 intersections, of right turns at red lights. (All passed easily.)

One was when Mayor David Miller, scolding his opponents for their "utter nonsense," accused them of being disingenuous in their "war on the car" crusade during the Roncesvalles debate: "The suggestion that this has something to do with a so-called war on the car lies uneasily in the mouths of those who pretended to believe that."

The other moment was provided by Councillor Rob Ford, not exactly seen as a friend of the bike movement, who started his speech with his usual talk-radio shtick, saying cyclists were "a pain in the ass."

But he then proceeded to outline a surprising vision of protected bike paths along the ample boulevards of his Etobicoke ward's high-speed arterial roads.

Perhaps there can one day be a truce in this war after all.

My biggest complaint is T intersections where the cyclist is coming across the top of the T. There is no reason for a cyclist to do anything but YIELD to pedestrians crossing.

I've email the city billions of times about this, never once heard a reply back.

Car signage doesn't always work the best for bikes. There should be a lot more Yields for cyclists.

9 Million seems like a lot of money for bike racks on the front of buses. Anyway, buses are moved around, they don't run the same route forever so outfitting buses in areas where the bike racks are more likely to be used would result in some buses having them, and some not. My take is it's better to be consistent and not go about the matter in a half-assed manner.

I don't think many people use the racks to ride a few blocks to their destination. I see them more likely to be used in a scenario such as someone who doesn't want to ride in city traffic. They get off at (example) Sherbourne subway, load the bike on the rack and rides the bus down to the end of Sherbourne to hit the Martin Goodman trail.

Get used to losing some parallel parking and a lane here and there, bikes and cyclists aren't going anywhere. In the next few years I believe we'll see substantial growth with people cycling for pleasure, and as a means of getting around as more and more bike lanes are added around the city. I've seen dramatic change in just the past 5 or so years with the numbers of cyclists I see on the streets today thanks to the City slowly moving towards their goal of completing the 1,000km Bikeway Network within the City of Toronto.

Well, it's an interesting argument. On one hand, in absolute terms of money, $9 million may seem like a lot for permanently affixed bicycle racks, most of which will hardly be used for a long time. On the other hand, $9 million, in relative terms of money, is a small pittance in comparison to, say, the total end budget of Transit City.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-bike, just pro-balance. I'm a frequent recreational cyclist, as well as a driver and transit user when need be, so I can see good points from all three sides of the commuting debate. It's just that if bicycle lanes were to replace a whole swath of roadside parking, I can understand, for example, the concerns of big-item store owners whose customers may not be able to easily park on adjacent side streets. Again, there needs to be a balance.

Speaking of the bike plan, would anybody know if the Finch-Steeles segment of Yonge is considered to get bike lanes? It was going to get a BRT way, but since this fell on the wayside in favour of a subway extension, maybe I could be enlightened on this. I'm somewhat familiar with the area, and most, if not all, of this segment of Yonge could be widened on either side for bicycle lanes - and I see cyclists all the time using this stretch of Yonge.

Today when driving home, I turned left onto a side street. A bicyclist was in the opposite lane and then proceeded to go into the lane I was turning into. I honked my horn at him, then he realized he was about to get hit.

2eoyvld.gif

Cyclists should follow the same rules as cars if they want to be on the road.

This means:
- DO NOT go into oncoming traffic.
- STOP at all STOP signs.
- Pay ATTENTION.
- Car is 10x heavier than a cyclist. Think.

Sounds scary. There's plenty of idiot cyclists out there. :(

This is from New York city, i dont think it would be any different on this side of the border.

Study Says Cyclists Ignore Traffic Laws

A recently-released study conducted by Hunter College students posits that—are you sitting down?—"a large number of cyclists routinely disobey many traffic laws." But wait, didn't these Hunter kids already alert the public to the scourge of cyclist scofflaws back in November? Indeed, they did, but according to City Room this new report is "a rigorous and scientific version" of the previous observational study, which monitored 3,000 cyclists chosen at random at 69 locations. The new version used a wider sampling compiled of 5,275 observations of riders at 45 randomly generated intersections across Midtown from First to 10th Avenues and 14th to 59th Streets. According to the study:

37% of the cyclists observed blew through red lights

28.7% of riders paused and then ran the light.

10% rode against traffic

Only 29.8% of the riders wore helmets.

91 percent of the riders observed were male.

3.7% of the cyclists were observed riding on
sidewalks.

29.3% did not use the designated lane when there was one.

Last edited:

Back