News   Jul 16, 2024
 308     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 418     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I find identifying tolerance of infractions as the most important indicator of friendliness to cyclists is somewhat bizarre. It's one fairly abstract measure of the city's attitude towards bikes—actual physical infrastructure has a demonstrably more tangible effect on the daily lives of cyclists.

What's more, many of the infractions you cite are in direct response to the lack of adequate cycle infrastructure. Cyclists generally don't *want* to travel on sidewalks—they do so when the infrastructure provides inadequate protection.

I agree with your identification of some rules and laws that could use an update, but the reality is the city's cycling infrastructure more closely resembles that of, say, Phoenix (or similar), than Copenhagen (or similar).

Some cyclists do this. Some of us obey the rules. Some drivers also roll through stop signs, Rush red lights, drive past open streetcar doors and a whole host of other infractions.
I'd say most drivers roll through stop signs. I rarely actually see wheels coming to a stop when drivers "stop" at stop signs.

It not nuts, IMO. Toronto is friendly to cyclists in that we have far higher tolerance of official infractions. How can you say Toronto is not friendly to cyclists when they get to use the roads, sidewalks and pedestrian crossings in overt disregard of the official rules?

This thread has become unreadable.

We're feeding a troll that has chosen to define "cyclist friendly" as "scofflaw friendly" or perhaps "ASBO friendly". For all I know, someone's ghost has taken over AB's forum account.

We're feeding a troll that has chosen to define "cyclist friendly" as "scofflaw friendly" or perhaps "ASBO friendly". For all I know, someone's ghost has taken over AB's forum account.
No it's me, and I admit I'm having a bit of fun, but as a cyclist returning to the sport after many years driving cars, my observation is that the city is friendly to bikes in that the rules I follow as a car driver rarely apply to us cyclists.

the city is friendly to bikes in that the rules I follow as a car driver rarely apply to us cyclists.
News: Bikes are different than cars.

I'd like to see enforcement of infractions like riding without lighting at night, riding on sidewalks (in the core, where the sidewalks are occupied with pedestrians), riding on the wrong side of the street, blowing through lights, riding past streetcar doors. Responsible cyclists are able to follow these rules. More than any of those I'd like to see greater enforcement against cellphone use while driving and aggressive driving. Probably a problem of enforcement overall. You don't see that many cops on the streets in the course of a day. Maybe the police in this 'cyclist-friendly' city are too busy running blitzes where they fine people $150 for not having a bell on their bike.

No it's me, and I admit I'm having a bit of fun, but as a cyclist returning to the sport after many years driving cars, my observation is that the city is friendly to bikes in that the rules I follow as a car driver rarely apply to us cyclists.
How does that even being to define "cyclist-friendly"?

It not nuts, IMO. Toronto is friendly to cyclists in that we have far higher tolerance of official infractions. How can you say Toronto is not friendly to cyclists when they get to use the roads, sidewalks and pedestrian crossings in overt disregard of the official rules?

Toronto is not gonna win any awards with that kind of thinking. What we need is proper infrastructure so that cyclists don't have to be using said sidewalks and endangering pedestrians in the first place.

How does that even being to define "cyclist-friendly"?
Having an unofficial, yet publicly understood and permissible code of conduct for cyclists separate from all other road user is the definition of special accommodation or "friendly".

Outside of sidewalk use, I'm okay with that, but let's adjust the laws to match the practice, and then update the driver's handbook that stops for cars are yields for bikes.

I found this article on the safety of bike share in the U.S. pretty interesting. It talks a lot about the made in Montreal bikes, which are the same ones Toronto uses. Oddly though, my only cycling accident in 4 years of cycling happened on a Bike Share bike, and I got a concussion from not wearing a helmet.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/3/11349856/bike-share-safety
Interesting. I'm generally very happy to use BikeShare in Montreal. I generally feel quite safe with their dedicated cycle infrastructure even without a helmet. In Toronto, though, I'm very uncomfortable biking without a helmet. Montreal's clever traffic signal implementation (the addition of a straight-only, no turns phase to most greens) really aids in eliminating potential car/bike conflicts.

I'm finding the bike infrastructure around me is very good. When I kids and I want to cycle to the island from Cabbagetown, we have separated bike lanes all along Wellesley, then separated lanes all the way down Sherbourne to Queen Quay, and then again, separated path (though not bike dedicated) to the ferry docks. IMO, it couldn't get much better for a dad and younger riders on a day out.

I'm finding the bike infrastructure around me is very good. When I kids and I want to cycle to the island from Cabbagetown, we have separated bike lanes all along Wellesley, then separated lanes all the way down Sherbourne to Queen Quay, and then again, separated path (though not bike dedicated) to the ferry docks. IMO, it couldn't get much better for a dad and younger riders on a day out.
That's great, however there are tons of commutes that don't have any bike infrastructure. For about a year my bike commute was from Bloor to Finch on Yonge. No bike infrastructure whatsoever, and the ride gets scarier and scarier as you go north.

Back