299     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 604     0 

G2 Restriction Question

xsolarwindx

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a teen driver with a G2 license. I got my G2 last week. How many of my teenage friends (under 19) may I carry as passengers during the day?

Anyone? The restrictions are confusing:

Quote from http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.html

Class G2

New drivers must hold a G2 licence for a minimum of 12 months before they can attempt the G2 road test. At this level, you have more privileges because of your driving experience. You may drive without an accompanying driver on all Ontario roads anytime. However, you are still required to:

· maintain a zero blood alcohol level while driving;

· ensure the number of passengers in the vehicle is limited to the number of working seat belts.

Our Graduated Licensing System has been a resounding success in reducing death and injury among novice drivers. Ontario research shows that new teenage drivers are almost three times more likely to be involved in a fatal or serious collision when they are carrying teenage passengers. In fact, research shows the more teenage passengers, the higher the risk.

To further protect youth on our roads, effective September 1, 2005: the number of young passengers that teen G2 drivers can carry will be limited from midnight to 5 a.m. as follows:

· Initially, G2 drivers 19 or under can carry only one passenger aged 19 or under.

· After the first six months, and until the G2 driver earns a full G licence or turns 20, they can carry only three passengers aged 19 or under.

The passenger restrictions do not apply if the G2 driver is operating a motor vehicle after 5 a.m. and before midnight.

These restrictions will not apply if the G2 driver is accompanied by a full "G" licensed driver (with at least four years driving experience) in the front seat, or if the passengers are immediate family members.

Thirty-one jurisdictions in Canada and the U.S. have some form of teenage passenger restrictions in effect.

The red and blue lines are contradicting. I want to be absolutely sure. The word initially is confusing there.

The law is definitely convoluted.

G2 drivers aged 19 or under can carry:
- As many passengers as there are seat belts from 5am to midnight.
- One passenger aged 19 or under during 12am-5am for the first six months.
- Three passengers aged 19 or under during 12am-5am after six months.

So all in all, in the end, during school hours, I can carry as many passengers as working seatbelts with no age restrictions, correct?

And thanks!

Back