News   Jul 03, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 772     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 818     2 

Free Beer On The Street

I wonder what the price of beer would be today if we didn't have any government regulation on minimum pricing. We had 24's for $24 years ago, and im sure brewers would have gone even lower had they been allowed. I remember being able to buy bottles in Portugal for 20-25 cents!

They still have Happy Hour. The last two times I have been to the states I've had happy hour at my hotels. (The Hilton in downtown Chicago has it, as well as Embassy Suites in Philadelphia.) Both had free beer and mixed drinks between 5-7pm.

The Hilton Garden Inn here in Toronto gives you free alcohol if you get an all inclusive room. (Starting at $138 a night)

I am very opposed to drinking and driving....not opposed to alcohol just when it mixes with gasoline powered vehicles!....even I, though think there is a workable compromise here.....it should not be illegal for hotel bars/lounges to offer alchohol to registered guests at, either, no cost or vastly reduced cost....as far as I know, there have not been a lot of injuries caused by impaired use of an elvator!

I wonder what the price of beer would be today if we didn't have any government regulation on minimum pricing. We had 24's for $24 years ago, and im sure brewers would have gone even lower had they been allowed. I remember being able to buy bottles in Portugal for 20-25 cents!

A good indication of what we SHOULD be paying for Beer is the current market price in Germany.

You can by a case of 24 Pilsner for 9.29 Euro or $13.22 CDN , i.e. about 55 cents a bottle!

http://epub02.publitas.com/spar/34//#/spreadview/2/

Germany is a high-cost country with an extensive social safety net to fund just like Canada and yet they can buy Beer at less than half what we pay :mad:

The old argument that high Beer and Liquor prices pay for our social programs just doesn't hold up when you compare us to European countries.

A good indication of what we SHOULD be paying for Beer is the current market price in Germany.

You can by a case of 24 Pilsner for 9.29 Euro or $13.22 CDN , i.e. about 55 cents a bottle!

http://epub02.publitas.com/spar/34//#/spreadview/2/

I am not an expert on Germany's entire taxation and social costing model but, perhaps, they tax higher in other areas and that is how they have chosen to pay for things and we have chosen to have high "sin" taxes to make a higher contribution to overall costs.

Maybe, as an example, they tax gasoline higher than we do.....so do they get to say "A good indication of what we SHOULD be paying for fuel is the current market price in Canada." without considering what it might do to the cost of beer?

If we lowered the price of beer to $13.22 for 24 would you be happy paying more at the pumps for gasoline? Looking at the cost of one item in different jurisdictions without understanding how everything is costed/paid for is a dangerous game!

All this trouble because of a singing frog
Free-Beer.jpg

Could we not set up a thread dedicated to time-sensitive freebies?

I got a small woman's deodorant stick thrust in my face at Wellington and Bay the other day. I stocked up on 5-blade razors in the Brookfield Place concourse last month by repeatedly circling the posse of young gals handing them out and choosing a different one each time.

Etc.!

... and they were brewing up and handing out fancy little glasses of fancy coffee at Wellington and Bay this afternoon.

Back