News   Jul 23, 2024
 365     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Free Beer On The Street

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today I got a free Carlsberg beer at Bay & Bloor. A small sign, 3 cases of beer and a cute girl on the sidewalk. Stood in line for about 4 minutes and watched many passers by who couldn't quite believe they were handing out free beer or that it was legal. Most people drank their beer on the steps of the Manulife Centre (which is illegal). I first saw this phenomenon about 3 weeks ago at Yonge & Bloor when they were handing out Stella Artois. Apparently they're allowed to hand out as much as a six pack. Let's hope we see more of this in the name of healthy competition. Only in Canada eh?

Just make sure the bottle is opened in front of you if someone says..."hey want a free beer?"

I've walked by Molson reps handing out Molson M twice around Union Station too. Seems like a recent thing. I wonder if this has to do with the loosened liquor laws that went into effect recently?

I dont remember ever seeing beer handed out on the street in past years.

I've walked by Molson reps handing out Molson M twice around Union Station too. Seems like a recent thing. I wonder if this has to do with the loosened liquor laws that went into effect recently?

I dont remember ever seeing beer handed out on the street in past years.

Did we actually ever get those often promised loosened laws? I have a feeling they never made it into a bill before the legislature was shut down for the election.

Did we actually ever get those often promised loosened laws? I have a feeling they never made it into a bill before the legislature was shut down for the election.

I believe the bill was passed before it was shut down. The Hilton Garden Inn downtown is already offering all-inclusive packages with unlimited drinks, and the law allowing that was bundled with the rest of the liquor laws.

when you say free beer, do you mean a whole bottle or did they pour out a little dixie cup sample?

when you say free beer, do you mean a whole bottle or did they pour out a little dixie cup sample?

The ones I have seen have all been individually wrapped full bottles and they must see ID even from old codgers like me (one day I did not have any on me and they would/could not give me a beer!

That happened to me, too, a couple of weeks ago outside the ROM. They were handing out free bottles of Stella and I didn't have photo ID on me, so I couldn't get one - and I'm 58!

Now if they would only bring back "happy hour" In the states during happy hour i have had free beer in the hotels, and in the bars 2 for 1 pints and even half priced glasses of wine and bottles!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if they would only bring back "happy hour" In the states during happy hour i have had free beer in the hotels, and in the bars 2 for 1 pints and even half priced glasses of wine and bottles!!!!

They still have Happy Hour. The last two times I have been to the states I've had happy hour at my hotels. (The Hilton in downtown Chicago has it, as well as Embassy Suites in Philadelphia.) Both had free beer and mixed drinks between 5-7pm.

The Hilton Garden Inn here in Toronto gives you free alcohol if you get an all inclusive room. (Starting at $138 a night)

I meant bring happy hour back to Canada. The Ontario government eliminated happy hour in the early 80s because the government says it puts too many drunks on the highways,:rolleyes: I have stayed at many hotels in the states with free drinks during 5-7pm and it's amazing how well behaved everyone is.

Last year in Harrisburg PA i stopped at a bar that had $1 pints during happy hour. The bartender says to me "sorry happy hour finished 10 mins ago i have to charge you full price" i ask, how much? Bartender says $2. LOL :eek: So for the sake of a buck it was hardly worth while rushing for happy hour. Of course that same pint cost me 5 to 6 bucks here in Toronto!!!!

Back