News   Aug 27, 2024
 710     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 536     0 

Four Season Gardens (Hwy 7+404, Catalia Dev, 14+13+10+9s, Northgrave)

Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
This one came out of the left field ... Four Season Gardens by Catalia Development Group (never heard of them) ... talk about a tacky project name :rolleyes:

Four (4) towers are proposed with heights of 10, 9, 14, and 13 storeys in 4 respective phases with a shared central recreational building. The project is located northwest of Highway 7 and Highway 404, just north of the Parkway 'restaurant cluster' (containing Keg, Boston Pizza, Moxie's, Jack Astors, etc)

It appears that a mid-block (between Hwy 7 and 16th Ave) crossing over Highway 404 may be in the works based on these plans ~ :)

frankly I'm not impressed at all by the architecture here, slab L-shaped beige precast buildings (like The Grand Parkway Residences @ Sherton) with buttress-like walls anchoring the first 2 floors (like 500 Sherbourne) ... this development just doesn't make sense in this location relative to the surrounding area context, it would be an odd residential complex in an otherwise industrial/employment area

Community Master Plan
Site-Plan3.jpg

Bird's Eye View Looking South Towards the Site - Hwy 404 on the left, East Beaver Creek Drive on the right
fsgc-site1.jpg

Phase 1, Building 'A' - Northwest Elevations
FSG_northwest.jpg
possible_aerial_view2.jpg

Phase 1, Building 'A' - Northeast Elevations
FSG_northeast.jpg

Last edited:
It may seem odd to have residential here, but it still makes sense. There are residential buildings in the area already, the closest to this site being on the west side of East Beaver Creek, adjacent to the Richmond Hill Civic Centre. I think it's a good idea to put some more residential within the Beaver Creek Employment area. Considering the number of people who work in the area, there's a good chance that some of them may think it's a great location and will reduce their commute, somewhat easing traffic, although doubtful. The area is more office commercial than industrial. The only reason I would see this as a poor location for residential is Buttonville Airport on the other side of the 404. Now with that airport potentially shutting down and being redeveloped, it's less of a concern.

Not a big fan of the architecture either, but considering it's introducing more land uses in the area it makes up for it a little bit. It's still just as blah as all the other high-rises west on Hwy 7.

My god, there is nothing good about this whatsoever. Typical suburban crap.

well in all fairness ... there is something good about this project, that it adds density which may support public transit (VIVA on Hwy 7)

however, I remain reserved about the building design and really not liking that big beige slab massing ... similar to the Grand Parkway Residences north of the Sheraton Hotel

grand-parkway-large.jpg

a while back (late 2009) I heard that the occupancy was stated to be Early 2012, Ammenities would include: Swimming, Party, Excercise, Guest, Visitor Parking, Concierge, typical floor height: 8ft...

haha I'm guessing that's why they intentionally left in the 'S' as compared with the "Four Seasons Hotel" name ~

tissot ... somebody clearly is being sarcastic ~

just awful! could the buildings arrangement be any worst? and, why, oh why not break up this rdiiculously huge block into smaller blocks even if, for the time being, the roads are nothing more than cul-de-sacs ending at the warehouse.

What a great location...all the highway with none of the access! I don't mind if the 90s come back into style as long as the condo site plans don't come with them. Why is the "proposed recreational building" 10 storeys tall?

The positive thing here is the new road over the 404. Infrastructure and road work are the new "at least the massing is okay."

I would bet the 'Proposed Recreational Building' has units on top of it which are not labeled in the diagram. Looking at the first render, you can see balconies on that building.

Overall, it is a suburban condo. It isn't great but its better than nothing if for nothing else in adding density.

I was just out that way when it occured to me that Buttonville Airport's runway is nearby and on the same heading. I wonder if the buildings interfere with the flightpath and if that explains why they are so short.

Anybody know anything about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the answer to your question regarding flightpath and building height, but hasn't Buttonville been scheduled to close in the next few years?

Back