Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 2.15.32 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 2.14.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 2.14.43 AM.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 566
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 2.15.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 2.15.32 AM.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 613
No surprise there (given how out of the ordinary these days are). The fun part is parsing the lines of the actual WH press release. The language is umm, oddly personal.

AoD

I'm sure she knew exactly what the fallout would be and that her days there were numbered anyway. Why not go out with a bang to help embolden those under her to stand up to what's coming over the next several years.

I'm sure she knew exactly what the fallout would be and that her days there were numbered anyway. Why not go out with a bang to help embolden those under her to stand up to what's coming over the next several years.

It is purely a symbolic act, but what's concerning isn't so much so her removal (which is expected) but how it was expressed. Betrayal? What kind of language is that.

AoD

That it maybe, but while labelling is gratifying, we need a more substantial policy response than that.

AoD

We certainly do need a more substantive response. Well said. But referring to the President as a petulant child is more than just labelling - it's (frighteningly) an accurate description of his behaviour and mental state, and also needs to be said.

We certainly do need a more substantive response. Well said. But referring to the President as a petulant child is more than just labelling - it's (frighteningly) an accurate description of his behaviour and mental state, and also needs to be said.

Some shrinks apparently have profiled him (which they are not supposed to do under APA rules) and the conclusion isn't pretty. I am sure the intelligence services are busy/have done the same - they would be negligent not to.

Pull back a little bit and look at the big picture - now all of the US allies are at varying degrees of distrust against the US, and their population (and to an extent everyone else's) are too distracted to focus on developing international issues beyond this one. Just who'd benefit from that, I wonder.

AoD

Donald J. Trump is the first President to support gay marriage from his first day in office.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/donald-trump-lgbtq-1.3959590

A true man of the people. Americans are looking forward to 8 years of Trump. Look what he's accomplished in only two weeks.

Hardly.

I love it when right-wingers temporarily put aside the usual hostility or indifference to gays in order to use the LGBT community as a prop for whatever political axe they suddenly want to grind. In the past few weeks, I've never seen more right-wingers suddenly gush about the protection of the gay community, mainly so that they have an excuse to bash BLM, Muslims or make silly claims about Trump.

The article you cite says nothing about same-sex marriage. Trump has been all over the map on the marriage issue, saying both that he thinks the matter is settled, and also that he is opposed and would appoint justices to the SCOTUS that would overturn Obergefell. One big test will be to see who he nominates (supposedly this evening) to SCOTUS. The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak, and the jury is most definitely still out on this one. If he nominates from among those whom he has said he would nominate, he is no supporter of same-sex marriage and no friend of the LGBT community. The gay community in the U.S. will either be relieved or terrified tomorrow morning.

As for what the Trump administration announced today, that it would not overturn Obama's execution order on LGBT workplace protections, I can only say this: big f*cking deal. All Obama could achieve through the powers of his office was an executive order preventing companies with federal contracts from discriminating against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees. So Trump isn't going to let some of the gays at companies working for the feds be fired - a momentous step in the U.S. if this were 1995. If Trump wants to actually be a supporter of the LGBT community, he would, as Obama did, support Congress enacting amendments to the Civil Rights Act to include protections that ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. In other words, protect all members of the community in respect of job protection and other rights, not just those working for federal contractors. Rights which we take for granted in Canada, and have for decades. But Trump is not a supporter of such legislation, and the Republicans in Congress are mostly virulently opposed.

Most importantly, Trump backs the First Amendment Defense Act, a license to discriminate against LGBT Americans, when Cruz and Lee intend to reintroduce in the Senate. Trump has nominated Sessions, one of the original sponsors of FADA, as Attorney General. FADA would be devastating to the LGBT community. Until such time as Trump states that he will veto FADA, he is no friend of the LGBT community.

Trump has been patting himself on the back for mentioning the LGBT community in his nomination speech ("“The President is proud to have been the first ever GOP nominee to mention the LGBTQ community in his nomination acceptance speech"). The speech where, after mentioning the Orlando attack, he promised to protect LGBT Americans from "violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology". So he's onside with protecting gays from being murdered by terrorists. That is a shockingly low bar in terms of support for gay rights. He doesn't believe gays should be murdered or oppressed by ISIS, but is pretty quiet about what many Republicans in Congress want to do to American gays.

I can only imagine your last three sentences were in jest, as they are completely ridiculous, with the popular vote and opinion shows showing them to be incorrect. Most of what he has accomplished in two weeks is chaos.

The FACT remains that Donald Trump is the first President in the history of the United States of America to support gay marriage from day one. He has stated multiple times, including since becoming President, that he's onside with gay marriage and that it's settled law. Let me remind you that Obama did not support gay marriage until his second run.

Everything else you posted is just spin from somebody who can't accept that not everything Trump does is evil, and he's not Hitler.

Americans already decided who their president is. I know you guys can't accept it...but it's reality. I for one look forward to 8 more years of Democratic whining while their party continues to spin into oblivion. Is Donna Brazile still the head of the DNC? LOL!

On the pages of ultra-left wing UT you can enjoy your echo chamber...but in the real world, Trump is king.

Back