News   May 29, 2024
 126     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

My American pal says people should just emigrate to the USA legally. But I reminded him, it’s almost impossible to emigrate to the USA today. Unless you have an employer or family member sponsor you, you have no chance. The days of showing up at Ellis Island and making a fresh start are over.

My American pal says people should just emigrate to the USA legally. But I reminded him, it’s almost impossible to emigrate to the USA today. Unless you have an employer or family member sponsor you, you have no chance. The days of showing up at Ellis Island and making a fresh start are over.
So maybe...obey the law and not emigrate to the US? Surely America has the right to determine who crosses the border and who doesn’t, like any other normal country. I know we do things differently in Canada, what with our moral superiority and shambolic government impotence, but then we don’t share a border with Mexico.

So maybe...obey the law and not emigrate to the US?

I reckon.

Why emigrate to a country that doesn't have a proper healthcare system in terms of accessibility?
That has a gun problem?
That has a relatively massive prison population consisting mostly of people convicted of petty drugs crimes?
I could go on.

Why emigrate to the US indeed?

I’m not saying I support Trump, but it’s easy to see why the Republicans should feel hopeful. The economy is growing rapidly without a major uptick in inflation and headline unemployment is low. Sure the party is slowly gutting Obamacare, but a large majority of the population has decent coverage, whether through Medicare or private employee plans. There’s a lot to like in the big picture. I know, I know...federal debt is growing at an unsustainable rate and some day things will get nasty. But that day is not this day!

Trump threatens all-out trade war with China, tariffs on $200 billion worth of goods

President Donald Trump threatened to escalate the trade fight with China into an all-out trade war on Monday, promising to impose massive tariffs on Chinese goods unless Beijing reverses course on its own trade actions.

Trump directed the US Trade Representative's office to begin drawing up a list of $200 billion worth of Chinese goods to hit with a 10% tariff, dwarfing the size of previous trade actions against China.

"Therefore, today, I directed the United States Trade Representative to identify $200 billion worth of Chinese goods for additional tariffs at a rate of 10 percent," Trump said. "After the legal process is complete, these tariffs will go into effect if China refuses to change its practices, and also if it insists on going forward with the new tariffs that it has recently announced."

Monday's announcement comes just three days after Trump officially announced thattariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese goods would be subject to a new 25% tariff starting July 6. The tariffs were the result of an investigation by Commerce Department into the theft of US intellectual property by Chinese companies.

Following Trump's announcement, China rolled out retaliatory tariffs on $50 billion worth of US goods and promised to stand firm against the US's actions.

[...]

In addition to the second set of tariffs, Trump also threatened to hit China with a third wave — an additional 10% on another $200 billion worth of Chinese goods — if the Beijing rolled out their own wave of tariffs.

Following the statement from Trump, US stock futures dove into negative territory. As of 8:25 p.m. ET, S&P 500 futures were down just over 0.5% and Nasdaq futures were off just over 0.65%.

The threats appear to show a near collapse of the talks designed to avoid a trade war. A delegation of Trump officials initially reached a preliminary deal with their Chinese counterparts on a preliminary trade deal that would have postponed the US tariffs in exchange for Chinese purchases of American goods.

But, Trump's decision to move forward with the tariffs caused the deal to collapse and the trade battle to escalate once again.

And yet the US is still a better option than Mexico for those people. Some chased out of their home by gangs and cartels.

And yet the US is still a better option than Mexico for those people. Some chased out of their home by gangs and cartels.

Yeah....chased right back into the arms of said gangs and cartels.

There is a reason that immigration between Mexico and the US has reversed in trend.

Because they're not all Mexicans by and large, but people fleeing the sociopolitical disasters in their home countries in South and Central America.
So maybe...obey the law and not emigrate to the US?
That's certainly the logic the USA and other countries applied to the MS St. Louis.

If the US was all about obeying the laws, it wouldn't exist as a Republic today, since its founders were treasonous criminals who by the laws of the empire ought to have been hanged. Why didn't blacks just obey the laws and stay at the back of the bus?

Sometimes the law is wrong. Rounding up kids into caged camps is wrong.
Surely America has the right to determine who crosses the border and who doesn’t,
Of course it does, but the hypocrisy keeps the people coming. The US construction, agriculture and hospitality industries depend on Latin labour. Meanwhile, US demand for drugs and historic US interference keep their home countries in the craphouse.

The USA could easily stop people from crossing the border if they truly wanted to. You don't necessarily need a wall, you've got the most powerful military the world has ever seen. Secure your borders. And while you're being honest, cancel the US signature on the UN refugee convention, the US is no refuge.

Last edited:
Today in Trumpland--lawless Canucks are smuggling American footwear...

NQ1anpVf_normal.jpg
Daniel Dale
38 mins ago
Trump says America's friends have treated it worse than its enemies on trade.

"Canada's not going to take advantage of the United States, any longer," Trump says.

Trump claims that Canadians come into the United States, buy all their products, and "smuggle" them back into Canada because Canada's tariffs are so high...for example, that they buy shoes in the U.S., wear them, and "scuff 'em up" to make them look plausibly old at the border.
I guess he doesn’t know that we don’t have to smuggle them in. We can just declare them and claim our exemption.

Sometimes the law is wrong.

You know it!

Meanwhile, US demand for drugs....keep their countries in the craphouse

Or, wait....do you? (Know "it"; see above)

The reason said countries are in the craphouse is due in large part to the consequences of the War on Drugs (or, War on Reason as some of us call it) and not demand for drugs (only two or three of which come from said countries anyway).

And while you're being honest, cancel the US signature on the UN refugee convention, the US is no refuge.

I'd say. Maybe I have a tendency to hang out in shitty neighbourhoods (I do, not gonna lie) but good swathes of the US make great facsimiles of third world countries.

Because they're not all Mexicans by and large, but people fleeing the sociopolitical disasters in their home countries in South and Central America.
That's certainly the logic the USA and other countries applied to the MS St. Louis.

If the US was all about obeying the laws, it wouldn't exist as a Republic today, since its founders were treasonous criminals who by the laws of the empire ought to have been hanged. Why didn't blacks just obey the laws and stay at the back of the bus?

Sometimes the law is wrong. Rounding up kids into caged camps is wrong.
Of course it does, but the hypocrisy keeps the people coming. The US construction, agriculture and hospitality industries depend on Latin labour. Meanwhile, US demand for drugs and historic US interference keep their home countries in the craphouse.

The USA could easily stop people from crossing the border if they truly wanted to. You don't necessarily need a wall, you've got the most powerful military the world has ever seen. Secure your borders. And while you're being honest, cancel the US signature on the UN refugee convention, the US is no refuge.

In respect of combating economic migration, the answer is and has been simple for a very long time, if the U.S. mandated that all employers could only hire an employee with a verified Social Security Number, and the penalty for not doing so was seizure of the business, that would wipe out 95% of all opportunity for illegal immigrants.

In respect of those fleeing mass violence, primarily from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala its a bit more complex. The problems there are in many respect the products of past U.S. policies, but also local corruption.

Solutions at this point are hard to come by, the effort should be made. Foreign military occupation, not something to be done frivalously, and that usually doesn't work out well, should be avoided.

Be that as it may, the situation on the ground is very complex, violent and intransigent and unlivable for many.

In the absence of solving those issues in one way or another, the appropriate thing is for the U.S. to come up with a proper legal mechanism for claiming asylum, one in which this level of detention; and separation of families is not considered, let alone required.

Technically, the U.S. will say that if you arrive at a legal port of entry, from the aforementioned countries and apply for asylum, you will not go through this; clearly very few, if any, believe they will receive a fair hearing if they follow the legal route; and believe there is opportunity if they don't. Both issues, along w/the underlying ones in the origination countries requires attention.

One logical step would be to set-up pre-clearance centres for asylum seekers at US embassies in the affected countries.

File your application there.

If you do so, persuade staff there of imminent risk, and agree to certain restrictions on travel and work, then this could be handled in an orderly manner, without undue cruelty, while upholding legitimate border security.

Trump is just the result of the US mindset of today. Proof of this will be the November congressional elections where GOP maintains its majority in the House. I hope I'm wrong.

There is no long a fundamental "US mindset". As to the problem of migrants - the best long term solution is to encourage stability and economic development of nearby countries (and ironically encourage birth control)

Trump will be a stain on the US for many, many years to come. It's a bloody shame.

Not sure if it is one they will recover from.

Today in Trumpland--lawless Canucks are smuggling American footwear...

NQ1anpVf_normal.jpg
Daniel Dale
38 mins ago
Trump says America's friends have treated it worse than its enemies on trade.

"Canada's not going to take advantage of the United States, any longer," Trump says.

Trump claims that Canadians come into the United States, buy all their products, and "smuggle" them back into Canada because Canada's tariffs are so high...for example, that they buy shoes in the U.S., wear them, and "scuff 'em up" to make them look plausibly old at the border.

Clearly, we need to stop illegal smuggling of shoes.

AoD

Last edited:
Clearly, we need to stop illegal smuggling of shoes.

AoD
I don't understand the perceived issue with shoes. I travel to the USA, and buy 100 pairs of shoes, I pay State VAT and then don't declare them at the Canadian border. Aren't I just stealing the Canadian duty or HST? How is the American side, where I just paid an American business and American VAT, put out?

Back