News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 997     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Former Globe and Mail Lands Redevelopment

Intriguing news indeed. Great to hear this site snapped up so quickly. Looks like another (primarily) suburban builder wants in on the downtown pie. It really shows that development initiatives are shifting more towards the urban realm. I know it's still preliminary but HP's involvement already makes this project sound promising.

Intriguing news indeed. Great to hear this site snapped up so quickly. Looks like another (primarily) suburban builder wants in on the downtown pie. It really shows that development initiatives are shifting more towards the urban realm. I know it's still preliminary but HP's involvement already makes this project sound promising.

I like HP, but the last time they aligned themselves with a "house builder" we got:

1307127057-112-Geroge-St-George-and-Adelaide-condos1.jpg

Wow, arent they the american home builders out of Jacksoville Florida...this could be interesting

They do build in the States, but they started here and head office is in Oakville AFAIK. Peter Gilgan, President and CEO, is a local boy, and has recently become a major philanthropist in the GTA, having given $15 million to Ryerson, (so it will now be the Peter Gilgan Athletic Centre at the Gardens), and more recently $40 million to SickKids so that the new Learning and Research Centre will be named in his honour as well. He's also given $10 million to the Oakville Hospital Foundation to get another hospital built there… and the list goes on and on (those are his biggest donations).

Mattamy Homes' communities have mostly been New Urbanism tract housing that, as they've becomes Canada's largest home builder, would indicate that they are doing something that a lot of people like. On its own, that would be no guarantee that what gets built in central Toronto would be great, but add David Pontarini into the mix (who only a few blocks away has designed the stunning Context King West) and I am not worried!

Many suburban home builders have made the leap into downtown housing; it had to come for Mattamy too. I'm really looking forward to seeing this evolve.

I have always Liked Mattamy, they are quality home builders. (they recently built some houses near me, and they are quite high quality, as well as appearing as though they were designed by an actual architect) with David Pontarini on board, who has been pumping out nothing but positive designs recently, I too trust this will be an amazing development.

Mods,
You need to get rid of the words "Mattamy" in the thread title.
Mattamy has walked away from the land deal. Might be a good story from Urban Toronto as to why they pulled out.

I wonder who was second in the proposals? Next batter up!

Back