News   Jul 17, 2024
 464     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 612     0 

Fords Working to Fire Webster, Stintz, Scrap Streetcars: Star

The problem with these politically-motivated witch hunts is that it is the people who are most competent and principled that are usually let go, while the ones who keep their heads down and do as little as possible, in order to hide their incompetence, more often than not keep their jobs. If I felt that the Commission was truly trying to weed out the deadwood, I would have more confidence in this process. From what I hear though, the Ford toadies are out for the blood of those who have dared to speak the truth with fact-based reports. To call those reports "one-sided and one-dimensional" because they didn't support the mayor's vision, as Di Giorgio said in the Star article, gives me no confidence that the TTC will end up better than it was before the bloodbath. And maybe that's the idea. Undermine the professionality of the organization to the point where you can justify breaking it up and selling off the pieces. Have we now replaced the so-called "war on the car" with the "war on the TTC?"

We all knew this was coming..The Star reports on the talks around reconstituting the TTC board. I'd be very, very, surprised if the board looks the same a month from now.

The fact that Mayor Ford has Frank Di Georgio and Norm Kelly taking point on the transit file goes to show you how far he's whittled down his list of lieutenants. Neither one of them is known for being particularly high profile members of council (in fact, you might go so far as to call them "filler"). But just look at what's happened to his more talented supporters: transit chair Stintz has abandoned him (obviously) and signs point to vice-chair Milczyn following suit. The mixed signals we've seen from Minnan-Wong tells me that he's trying to follow the party line without drawing much attention to himself; probably because he realizes just how politically destructive this path is. Gordon Chong, while not a councilor, might have been the one sticking up for the Ford message, but he's chosen to undermined that message time and time again with talk of road tolls, etc.

I also wonder how much longer Michael Thompson is willing to keep bailing water out of the SS Gravyboat. He's already been hung out to dry once (on the police file), and I can't imagine he'll want to be one of the last few true believers.

They might as well take the opportunity to strip the committees as well - no point in half measures when youre building a firewall.

AoD

There was a moment during last week's special meeting, on the return from lunch, when the Ford faction tried to break quorum to have the meeting cancelled. They all went into hiding, including Nunziata, who was replaced by Parker in the speaker's chair. Holyday was in his seat the whole time. I don't know if this would have been because he didn't support the game playing, or because someone had to be there to ask for a quorum call. Some more progressive councillours, such as Wong-Tam, weren't around at the return, so quorum could probably have been broken if Parker called the meeting to order. Eventually Minnan-Wong and Thompson wandered out, making quorum. I was surprised that Denzil would be the one to break rank on something like this, because he seems the slipperiest of weasels, always ready to pull some procedural trick. Maybe he's calculating, and is beginning to realize that, much as he wants to stick it to the left-wing, the future isn't with Ford.

I'd like to see a couple naturally centrist councillours, Robinson and Berardinetti, resign from the executive. Time for them to realize that they're marching in the parade of an unclothed emperor. Sure, as novices on council they must have been chuffed to be placed in the inner circle, but by sitting on the executive aren't they endorsing a leadership that is increasingly driven by personality, ego, folly, bitterness and wastefulness?

If Gary Webster is let go, will the new CGM of the TTC have to swear an oath to the mayor?

"I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to the leader of the city of Toronto and people, Rob Ford, to observe the law, and to conscientiously fulfill my official duties, so help me God!"​

That is paraphrasing the oath
"Ich schwöre: Ich werde dem Führer des Deutschen Reiches und Volkes Adolf Hitler treu und gehorsam sein, die Gesetze beachten, und meine Amtspflichten gewissenhaft erfüllen, so wahr mir Gott helfe."
that civil servants had to swear during the Third Reich between the years 1934 and 1945. The oath pledged personal loyalty to the person of Adolf Hitler in place of loyalty to the constitution.

Seems that what will happen if one is to work for Rob Ford these days.

MOD EDIT: Member was warned that these types of posts do not foster civil discourse and as such will be restricted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q: If Ford and his sheep are found to be breaking the laws/rules established, specifically not following the will of council, could a higher level of government remove them from office? I heard somewhere that one of the few powers the Queen possesses is the ability to remove political figures, however this is rarely, if ever used. However, if Ford continues to act in such disregard of the established political system, could Her Majesty deliver a dishonourable discharge to him?

Do you really think Liz cares about a mayor in the former colonies? I can guarantee that the British monarchy would find it extremely unseemly to get involved. That's not an out for us.

Q: If Ford and his sheep are found to be breaking the laws/rules established, specifically not following the will of council, could a higher level of government remove them from office? I heard somewhere that one of the few powers the Queen possesses is the ability to remove political figures, however this is rarely, if ever used. However, if Ford continues to act in such disregard of the established political system, could Her Majesty deliver a dishonourable discharge to him?
The Ontario government could pass a law or regulation that would remove Ford from office.

But why would they? Given that Hudak keeps supporting Ford to the hilt, and vice-versa, Ford's buffoonery plays in McGuinty's favour, especially with the risk of an election during a minority government.

There is no way that the province wants to get involved in removing a sitting mayor. That is especially true for a Toronto conservative mayor -- Toronto is a Liberal stronghold, so removing Ford would not get them any more ridings in the city, but would likely anger conservatives in other ridings.

Back