News   Jul 23, 2024
 304     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 982     1 

Floating Carshare Permits Proposed

I want to make it clear I have no problem with ride shares, my problem is with them leaving cars abandoned on resediatal streets. Also this is something that should have been brought up during the election and not something that the outgoing council should have forced onto the city without letting the public know about it. I'm sure many people in the city are not aware of this and are finding cars being parked on their streets for the purpose of car sharing without their knowledge of there being permets for them to be able to do it. I only just found this out today myself when I was trying to find out more about commuauto and who they were.

I want to make it clear I have no problem with ride shares, my problem is with them leaving cars abandoned on resediatal streets. Also this is something that should have been brought up during the election and not something that the outgoing council should have forced onto the city without letting the public know about it. I'm sure many people in the city are not aware of this and are finding cars being parked on their streets for the purpose of car sharing without their knowledge of there being permets for them to be able to do it. I only just found this out today myself when I was trying to find out more about commuauto and who they were.

They aren't abandoned, they're parked! Just like your car!

Eeesh.

Also this was approved last May, well before the election, and was proposed long before that, see the inception date of this thread.

It was extremely well publicized, this is what the departure of Car2Go was all about (failure to do this sooner and in affordable and flexible way) , and the Mayor was compelled to discuss that on TV.

They aren't abondoned. They are sitting waiting for the next user to come along, just like how every other car on the street is waiting for it's owner to come and use it.

Also I'm rather confused as Communauto isn't operating in East York right now, only south of the Danforth.

edit; nevermind, they operate north of Danforth in the far east end of East York.

Also - any word on whether Car2Go will return? at this point I imagine they are waiting for the "pilot" to complete. It's a real shame they left - I think I prefer Communauto as their rates are much better, but I miss Car2Go's dedicated lots in areas without permit parking. It would have been nice to have options for both and see some competition in the market.

I'm holding my breath for the $50 a month unlimited under 30 minute trips that communauto offers in Montreal. that would be sweet.

also: imagine the horror of finding (GASP) a car parked on the street! what in the world?!

They aren't abondoned. They are sitting waiting for the next user to come along, just like how every other car on the street is waiting for it's owner to come and use it.

Also I'm rather confused as Communauto isn't operating in East York right now, only south of the Danforth.

edit; nevermind, they operate north of Danforth in the far east end of East York.

Also - any word on whether Car2Go will return? at this point I imagine they are waiting for the "pilot" to complete. It's a real shame they left - I think I prefer Communauto as their rates are much better, but I miss Car2Go's dedicated lots in areas without permit parking. It would have been nice to have options for both and see some competition in the market.

I'm holding my breath for the $50 a month unlimited under 30 minute trips that communauto offers in Montreal. that would be sweet.

also: imagine the horror of finding (GASP) a car parked on the street! what in the world?!
So an update on this we have spoken with our counsellors office about this and they currently only have 5 cars in the city of Toronto and aren't supposed to leave them in the same spot for more than 48 hours however over the last week or so I have observed them being in the same spots with no sign of anyone using them at all,

So an update on this we have spoken with our counsellors office about this and they currently only have 5 cars in the city of Toronto and aren't supposed to leave them in the same spot for more than 48 hours however over the last week or so I have observed them being in the same spots with no sign of anyone using them at all,
ok buddy, we get it. Your opinion is clearly in the minority here.

Report to the next Infrastructure and Environment Ctte recommends making the Floating Car Share Permit program permanent!

That's the good news; the bad news is that the permits are still overpriced, they are still capping them at 500 per company and 2000 total; and they are overall making it too cumbersome and bureaucratic.

Communauto announced last week that it plans to increase its Toronto Flex fleet from 200 to 300 cars when the Floating Car Share program is made permanent.

When they first launched they planned a larger coverage area, but operated in a reduced area at first from my understanding. Once the pilot is approved I imagine they will expand to the original coverage area.

When they first launched they planned a larger coverage area, but operated in a reduced area at first from my understanding. Once the pilot is approved I imagine they will expand to the original coverage area.
Dave Meslin said it best:
"Everything in Toronto has to be a pilot. We let other cities try cool stuff, wait 10 years and then do the same thing half-assed."
Pretty much sums it up.

Back