News   Jul 16, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 378     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Fixing the Rundown TTC

I wonder if anyone ever floated the idea of fining people who litter. Politically unpopular, yes, but I can't help but feel that a large part of the state-of-repair problem has to do with people who are just inconsiderate with their garbage. People who throw garbage onto the tracks are also feeding a fire hazard.

Not that I want to turn Toronto into Singapore, but I find that people only shape up when money is involved. Tough times calls for tough measures.

You have to catch litterers first. Instead of hiring or reallocating an anti-litter squad, they could try something ridiculous like putting garbage cans back on the platforms.

"Preventative maintenance" of escalators drives me crazy since they're offline for often absurdly long times...seriously, get workers to "repair" them aroudn the clock and be done in less than one third the time it usually drags on for.

It's quite ridiculous. The somewhat buggy elevators in my building go down from time to time, but it absolutely never takes more than one or two business days to fix them. Anything more would be totally unacceptable, let alone the months that it supposedly takes the TTC. Why they can't just hire an elevator company that specializes in these things and can fix these problems in a day is completely beyond me. It would probably cost a lot less, too, even with the Fair Wage policy. Why do you never see the escalators at the Eaton Centre or the elevators at BCE Place down for months at a time?

I wonder if anyone ever floated the idea of fining people who litter.

Littering is only half the problem. What about the people who "accidentally" spill food or drinks in the cars, on station platforms or on the tracks? A ban on eating and drinking on TTC vehicles and property would also help make the TTC cleaner.

I bet people would start arguing about what constitutes littering. While I see people dumping free newspapers on a subway seat after they're done reading them as littering, there's certainly lots of people who believe the contrary.

attitude is key.

Like you would never litter in the Path as it seems to be indoors like a building and it is just clean and want to keep it that way.

If you clean the station and then launch a campaign, if you want to keep it clean its up to you, it could make somewhat of a difference.

Littering is only half the problem. What about the people who "accidentally" spill food or drinks in the cars, on station platforms or on the tracks?

Why the quotes? Sometimes it *is* an accident, you know...

As far as garbage (on TTC and everywhere) is concerned, it *is* at least partly the fault of the public. It's not just those who litter, it's those who allow them to do so. The apathy in our society is so pervasive that dozens of people will gaze upon an arsehole dumping his trash on the floor of the subway car and do nothing except for maybe whine on a message board and demand more janitors. It shouldn't really be a valiant individual trying to confront a litterhead or a group of them. There should be tremendous peer pressure, it should just be a thing that's NOT DONE, like taking a shit in public or walking around naked or using a Nokia cell phone. As it is, the sheep get what the sheep deserve.

Slow down escalators when not in use

New Subway Escalators Speed Up When You Get On in New York subway.

Found this link about new escalators in the New York subway:

The 169 escalators throughout New York City’s subway system are not known for running smoothly — each averaged 68 breakdowns or repair calls last year — and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority now says it has a partial solution.

Starting Monday, 35 recently installed escalators at four stations will start operating at variable speeds as part of a pilot program. Using infrared motion sensors, the escalators will slow to a crawl of just 15 feet per minute when no one is on them, compared with the normal full speed of 100 feet per minute. The escalators will gradually accelerate to the full speed, over a period of a few seconds, once a rider steps on them.

“Like humans, machines benefit from a little rest from time to time, and the escalators that provide service to subway customers are no exception,†said Paul J. Fleuranges, a spokesman for New York City Transit, the arm of the authority that runs the subways and buses.

By replacing old escalators with new ones that use a variable-frequency drive and numerous sensors, positioned near the escalators, officials hope to save on energy costs, and, just as importantly, reduce the wear and tear on the many mechanical parts in the heavily used machines.

“It’s not an idea we invented,†Thomas Kenny, principal mechanical engineer in the department of capital program management at New York City Transit, said in a phone interview. “We call it sleep mode. Others call it intermittent operation. It’s been used widely across the world, particularly in Europe and Asia.†Airports in Canada, Germany and Israel also use variable-speed escalators, officials said.

Variable-speed escalators are rarely used in the United States, and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, which sets code standards for escalators, hasn’t approved the devices yet. So New York City Transit sought and obtained permission from the code enforcement division at the New York State Department of State to install the escalators, and also subjected the escalators to rigorous tests in its internal system safety division, Mr. Kenny said.

The 35 escalators that are part of the experiment include 12 escalators at the 34th Street-Herald Square station on the B, D, F, V, N, R, Q and W lines in Manhattan; 8 escalators (4 of which have been installed) at the Roosevelt Island station on the F line; 5 escalators (2 of which have been installed) at the Jamaica-Van Wyck Boulevard station on the E line in Queens; and 10 escalators (6 of which have been installed) at the Parsons/Archer terminus of the E line in Queens.

By not running the escalators at a high constant speed, the authority estimates it will save at least $1,800 per escalator each year.

“These escalators are a very visible example of our commitment to contributing to a greener, more sustainable environment,†said Howard H. Roberts Jr., president of New York City Transit. “While at rest, these green escalators consume less energy, and are therefore more cost effective.â€

The officials also hope that the reduced wear and tear could extend the useful life of certain escalator components from 11 to 33 percent.

To explain how the new escalators work, officials are placing posters and brochures at the four subway stations.

Assuming the escalators work as intended, the goal is to switch on the variable-mode option at escalators in several more stations in the upcoming months, including the Bleecker Street station on the No. 6 line and the South Ferry terminus on the No. 1 line, both in Manhattan.

The 169 escalators are never all replaced at once, and the life cycle of an escalator can be as long as 35 years, so it will take years before all the escalators in the system operate at variable speeds, officials said.

Something to think about with TTC's escalators.

Littering was a huge problem at one time, then a public campaign was launched in the late '60s, early '70s and educated an entire generation of people that littering hurts everybody.
I don't think I've seen any such campaigns in years, but then the public is so generally overwhelmed with the cause de jour that I suspect such a campaign wouldn't have the same effect today. People are too jaded and burnt out from being lectured to at every turn.
I've seen many people throw stuff on the ground. You would be crazy to confront these people, even in a non-confrontational way.

I would love to see the TTC contract out escalator work. They'd save a ton of money, but you won't see that happen any time soon.
Isn't it amazing how in condo buildings, escalators/elevators are usually fixed the same day, but in apartments of the TTC they can be down for days? Hmmmm.

Isn't it amazing how in condo buildings, escalators/elevators are usually fixed the same day, but in apartments of the TTC they can be down for days? Hmmmm.

not to defend the TTC's five/six-month-long escalator rebuild program, nor its ability to restart an escalator within, say, five hours, but most of them are not in climate-controlled environments

most every other esca is inside a building with regulated temperature, which is a key factor in reliability

also, one presumes that the slow speed is all the fault of the TTC, and no fault is due the supplier of parts, Kone (which is also responsible for returning lifts to service BTW)

The squeaky Broadview Station escalator, to the eastbound train is really irritating. Almost every morning it gets me, I run down the stairs thinking a train has just arrived, but nope it's just the escalator. Also, that station in general is especially bad. Big cracks in the ceiling appear to be held together by pieces of wood bolted in. Way to go TTC.

I'd prefer to see escalators got rid of and replaced with multiple elevators. Yes it would be more stairs but many commuters, including myself, could use the exercise. The climate control issue for mechanicals is one more reason why we should be looking at platform doors...

I'd prefer to see escalators got rid of and replaced with multiple elevators. Yes it would be more stairs but many commuters, including myself, could use the exercise. The climate control issue for mechanicals is one more reason why we should be looking at platform doors...

Plus less escalators means less electricity use.
Stairs of course can be dangerous if you slip on anything. If it's raining or snowing especially.

I have seen parents carry their infant strollers up the stairs in a station, even though there were working elevators in the station. Some think that it is only for the handicapped, but if you have shopping carts, strollers, a walking cast, or are elderly, you can use the elevators.

8455_bu.jpg
Baby_Stroller.jpg

Back