News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 408     0 

First time condo buyer: Yonge/Shep - Opinions requested

I live in a house close to NYCC; in my experience the part of Yonge south of Park Home is much more attractive and vibrant than Y/F area, especially on weekends. With two cinemas, a theatre, restaurants, pubs it is midway between Y/F and Y/E in terms of its attractiveness. I do see people at night on Y/F, but they are mostly shopping at 24hr SDM, not hanging around. In terms of commute--if you buy a condo west of Y/S, you will avoid 20 min delay to cross the intersection. My commute to Downsview takes only 10-15 min; yours to Steeles and Dufferin should take 15-20. My advice—avoid taking Dufferin between Finch and Steeles in rush hours!!! For sake of sanity, take Bathurst north to Steeles and then turn west…

I am wondering if the commute to get to Bathurst in the morning might be rough? There is usually a ton of westbound traffic along Sheppard.

I've noticed that condo prices in the area have gone up quite a bit in the last 2 years. A condo that sold for 250K two years ago would be nearing 300K. It is possible that you would be buying at a peak.

It is true that condo prices have gone up quite a bit in last 2 years. You could get a 2br (800-900sqft) for under $300K, now 1br and 1+1 are selling for $280-295K. The same 2br are now $320-$330K range.

As for traffic on Sheppard, it is generally fairly light between Yonge and Bathurst. There are jams usually eastbound just west of Bathurst, but that's about it.

Commute from Y&S to Dufferin and Steeles should not be more than 15mins. There are many alternates, but generally Sheppard -> Bathurst, Steeles would be one as mentioned, but another would be Sheppard, Senlac, Finch, Alness up to Steeles (which, depending on where you work, may or may not be as close to your office as Dufferin is).

It is true that condo prices have gone up quite a bit in last 2 years. You could get a 2br (800-900sqft) for under $300K, now 1br and 1+1 are selling for $280-295K. The same 2br are now $320-$330K range.

As for traffic on Sheppard, it is generally fairly light between Yonge and Bathurst. There are jams usually eastbound just west of Bathurst, but that's about it.

Commute from Y&S to Dufferin and Steeles should not be more than 15mins. There are many alternates, but generally Sheppard -> Bathurst, Steeles would be one as mentioned, but another would be Sheppard, Senlac, Finch, Alness up to Steeles (which, depending on where you work, may or may not be as close to your office as Dufferin is).

Yes I am also confident that the traffic will not be as bad as some have indicated, and thanks for that alternate route lead82 I'll give it a trial run but I work at the south east corner of Duf + steeles, nearer to "Hidden Trail" road. I'm on the road by 730 at the latest, so the earlier time may factor into less traffic.

As for buying at a peak, I've been worried about this as well, but with interest rates so low I want to take advantage and start living in a great new place before summer arrives.

I think I've decided on the Broadway buildings after having viewed a few more units. 153 / 155 Beecroft, I was really taken in by the atmosphere of the building, much more inviting than the Ultima towers (just my taste I suppose) with a slightly cheaper price tag and lower maint. fees, similar facilities and equally good layouts of the units, I'm just playing 'wait and see' right now between a couple more buildings as the spring market heats up and more units come online.

Thanks everyone for your input on my situation!

People buy into Yonge & Sheppard for CHOICES, you have the choice of walking, taking transit (TTC and GO) or driving. In my case, I bicycle daily from YS to dufferin/finch year round. Like others have said, live near your work. You work 5/7 vs go out 2/7.

As for Yonge & Sheppard, it's a terrible area. There are too many apartments in a small area and very few decent shops/restaurants. The traffic is absolutely horrific -- it can take 10-20 minutes to cross Sheppard at rush hour. My brother lives there and it takes him that long to get to the 401 on ramp in the morning.

I agree, I ditched my car 4 yrs ago for my daily commute. I only use it on weekends and evenings and having the 401 nearby is a blessing.

Yes I am also confident that the traffic will not be as bad as some have indicated, and thanks for that alternate route lead82 I'll give it a trial run but I work at the south east corner of Duf + steeles, nearer to "Hidden Trail" road. I'm on the road by 730 at the latest, so the earlier time may factor into less traffic.

Sanofi-Pasteur? My sis-in-law works there and cycles to work using side streets. Ditch your car and beat the traffic.

People buy into Yonge & Sheppard for CHOICES, you have the choice of walking, taking transit (TTC and GO) or driving. In my case, I bicycle daily from YS to dufferin/finch year round. Like others have said, live near your work. You work 5/7 vs go out 2/7.

I agree, I ditched my car 4 yrs ago for my daily commute. I only use it on weekends and evenings and having the 401 nearby is a blessing.

Sanofi-Pasteur? My sis-in-law works there and cycles to work using side streets. Ditch your car and beat the traffic.

Haha that's hilarious, PM me her name I may work with her!

As for beating the traffic and taking side-streets I'd love to hear her bike route! Can you find out from her if you don't mind? No biggie if you can't!

Traffic is not a big deal for me, I'm up before the morning rush clogs the roads and generally get home before things get too hairy. But knowing the alternative is there would be great.

Living less than 20 minutes from work would probably be ideal, yonge and eg right now takes me about 35-40 mins on a good day to get in to work, and 40-45 to get home. This will shave 20 mins each way off my commmute time, and as others have said before this will likely improve my quality of life. Plus living so close to general amenities like the mall and groceries would be fantastic because now it's at least a 15 min walk from where I'm renting to the nearest grocery store. 30 min round trip can sometimes cause me to think twice about buying a fresh piece of chicken and produce for a nice healthy dinner.:rolleyes:

Definatly this location has peaked in price. 5 Years ago when I purchased a 1BR here it was just under 150K, since then the price has doubled.

The Broadway/Ultima building is great with direct subway access and to the grocery store.
Commute to work by car will be fine. I find no problem getting around the area 7ish in the morning.

Good luck on your condo hunt!

We have lived at Broadway for 5 years.

Entrance from Beecroft is very convenient.

The access to underground parking at Ultima is poorer than Broadway.

We prefer living on the West side of Yonge as there is less congestion on weekends due to the office towers. The pavement is also wider for walking. Access to 401 is very reasonable if you go to the bottom of Beecroft and then turn left.

The resale prices have taken a sudden jump in the last 2 years. It scares me. Tridels huge new project at South East corner of Yonge Sheppard may have set the trend.

If I were a first time buyer I would choose Yonge Finch as it is less pricy and has more options.

Street life should improve over the next 5 years.

For what it's worth, I live at Yonge & Sheppard and I love the area and have been here for 4 years now. I drive every day to work in Scarborough coming up through Avondale to Yonge to the 401. I haven't found the traffic to be that bad. It can get congested but is by no means a nightmare in my opinion. I leave about 8 AM. It's an up and coming area so if you are willing to live here and wait a few more years, the place should be awesome.

7 Bishop Ave & Pemberton loop at Yonge & Finch v. Yonge & Sheppard

Top Rate, I live at 7 Bishop Ave at Yonge and Finch. There is TTC Finch station noise, giant hydro men and TTC parking lot at the north side of Bishop and Hendon. It's not pretty (yet).
7 Bishop and most of the “Pemberton loop†buildings are attached to the subway, and nothing beats the warmth and convenience of direct underground access to the subway and to Loblaws on a soggy or cold day. The Pemberton loop buildings have only a few facilities. The facilities at 7 Bishop are extensive but run-down except for the gym, and facilities cost alot of money in common expenses – the grounds and rooftop garden alone are almost 3 acres, so make sure if you ever buy there, you really want to pay for all of those facilities and all that land that is only used 6 months a year. There's a lot of indoor space and shared rooms for meetings, parties or for studying at 7 Bishop and the Party Room is okay and holds 60 people.
At 7 Bishop, one bedrooms average 700 square feet, cost about $240,000 for an un-renovated suite, including the parking and the locker. The common expenses are 56 cents a square foot, but of course common expenses on all condos are going up just for the HST alone (e.g., right now a 746 square foot one bedroom without parking or locker has monthly expenses of $421.79). It’s an old building so all utilities are shared.
We rented at Yonge and Sheppard (in the new Beecroft buildings, behind The Ultima on Yonge). Yonge and Sheppard was nothing but dog poop, cigarette butts and fast food, but it was great to walk through the pretty cemetery, go to the library, go skating and to see the demonstrations at NYCC. There were no huge hydro wires and parking lots and buses, cutting an ugly swath through the projects like there are at Yonge and Finch. The traffic, feeder roads and landscaping were very well-planned at Yonge and Sheppard, but Yonge and Finch is slowly getting that way.
Also the TTC is making a light-rail system from Finch along Yonge, into York Region, and that should quiet down the entire Yonge and Finch area nicely, while still raising everyone's values a bit.
But we moved back to 7 Bishop Ave from Yonge and Sheppard. We are old and 735 square feet for two old people at Yonge and Sheppard was not acceptable at any price. And we hate hearing that thump thump thump disco music throbbing out of some brat's SUV.
Instead we bought another 1,097 square foot fully renovated 2 bedroom, 2 full bath at 7 Bishop for $275,000 in 2008, it would now sell for $340,000, probably more, nothing to do with the actual building, that's for sure. Keep in mind that 7 Bishop is one ugly, worn-out building, but you don’t live in the hallways, and they have a healthy reserve fund, they haven’t got around to spending it. They have zero tolerance for noisy or slobby residents, it is a very strict building that way.
Important: everything on the EAST side of Yonge below the hydro men on Bishop, sells well because the schools are so good and families want their kids to go to good schools. The reputation of the schools on the west side of Yonge at Finch is apparently not very good.
So the east side of Yonge is doing better than the west side at Yonge and Finch down, as long as people can send their kids to McKee, Cummer Valley and Earl Haig. I think that will be really important in the long run.
Yonge and Sheppard and Yonge and Finch are different worlds from each other, but both areas might as well be on a different planet when compared to downtown. Bye.

Those schools have a good reputation by the Asian community and many parents who are abroad in China and Korea buy units for their kids in NYCC on the east side so that they can attend Earl Haig. The schools on the west side of Yonge are just as good as the east side at least in terms of elementary and middle schools. As for high schools, I believe students have the option to go to either Northview, Newtonbrook or Mackenzie. While Northview is not that great, Newtonbrook and Mackenzie are pretty good schools. In general, this area of North York has excellent schools. A few years ago I lived on the east side of Yonge in the Olive Ave buildings and now live on the west side. I find that there are more younger kids on the west side living with their parents than there were on the east side. The east had more high school and university students.

Back to the topic at hand. Yonge and Finch is more affordable than Yonge and Sheppard. The LRT line will not be going along Yonge, but rather going along Finch from Yonge west towards Humber College in Etobicoke. If York Region ever gets subway funding than the subway will be extended up to Highway 7. Thus the area will improve over the next few years, but so will Yonge and Sheppard with the addition of the Tridel buildings and the Bazis buildings. One nice thing is that Yonge and Finch will soon have a small square built between the Mr. Sub and the Esso gas station on that empty lot on SE corner.

One thing that I wish would come to Yonge and Finch is more variety of cafes and restaurants. It is mostly Korean and Persian right now. I'm hoping the recently finished buildings with retail space will fill up soon as that will add more liveliness to the area.

Thanks everyone so much for the input on your personal experiences in the area. I look forward to being in the neighbourhood, will be seeing you guys around the forum at least!

I've settled on either the ultima or broadway buildings, so now it's just biding my time playing the waiting game and building a bigger and bigger down payment til that perfect place comes up.

Thanks again for all who took the time to post!:D

Back