News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 592     0 

First Nations Day of Action Protests

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
The OCAP website also lists several protests and marches in Toronto, including a march from U of T to Queen's Park, and a demonstration at Little Norway Park on the waterfront to bring attention to the Mississaugas of the New Credit claim on the city.

Mohawk protesters vow to shut down Ontario rail line, highway
SUE BAILEY

Canadian Press and Globe and Mail Update

June 28, 2007 at 9:36 PM EDT

DESERONTO — Mohawk protesters, who said they had guns and wouldn't back down, have begun a protest blockade in eastern Ontario.

The protesters parked an old school bus and a pickup truck loaded with wooden pallets late Thursday across secondary Highway 2 near Deseronto and turned back traffic in both directions.

The Mohawks had said they would begin with a "soft" target before moving to blockade the main CN line and a key highway near this town west of Kingston, despite widespread calls that an aboriginal day of action be peaceful.

Men, women and children in army-style fatigues, their hair braided back or shaved in traditional Mohawk style, began arriving at a makeshift camp outside the town west of Kingston, Ont. just after 5 p.m.

There were reports that dozens of provincial police cruisers had amassed in the nearby city of Napanee.

It was a call to action by protest leader Shawn Brant, a militant Mohawk who has done jail time for trashing the offices of politicians. He stands out as the lone voice calling for militancy on what others had hoped would be a day devoted to public education about native issues.

Mr. Brant said he intended to lead blockades of one or both of the main traffic and rail corridors between Toronto and Montreal starting at midnight Thursday night, or before.

He wouldn't disclose the actual sites, but confirmed that he and others were prepared to “meet force with force†if police got in their way.

“We've made no secret that we have guns within this camp,†he told The Canadian Press in an interview.

“It's our intent to go out and ensure a safe day. Unfortunately, previous incidents have shown that aggressive tactics by the police need to be met with equal resistance by the people that they're bringing those against.â€

Mr. Brant referred to the 1995 death of Dudley George when Ontario Provincial Police tried to force native demonstrators from Ipperwash provincial park.

“Most certainly, they shouldn't challenge us or question our resolve.â€

Mr. Brant says the time to educate Canadians through peaceful rallies has passed.

“We want government to know, and the rest of this country, that we're prepared to make commitments and sacrifices to ensure a safe, healthy environment in which our children can live — and a future that they can look forward to. Maybe then, they'll stop committing suicide.â€

Ontario Police Chief Julian Fantino singled out Mr. Brant at a news conference in Toronto on Thursday, saying he would be held accountable for his actions.

“He is, I think a one–off and we will have to deal with that depending on what Mr. Brant does,†Mr. Fantino said.

“We're prepared to discuss things with Mr. Brant, we have done that before. But at the end of the day, there is accountability for one's actions as well and he will be held accountable.â€

In the Maritimes, members of the Mi'kmaq Nation threatened a blockade of the Nova Scotia-New Brunswick boundary on Highway 104.

“It is the sovereign right of the independent Mi'kmaq Nation to disrupt or prevent any transportation through the territory,†organizers said in a statement.

Mr. Fantino said anarchists distract from the legitimacy of native land claims.

“We can't allow the hijacking of that legitimate cause by those who are intent on creating anarchy or who are intent of creating lawlessness in our country,†he said.

The threats of blockades were in stark contrast to calls from aboriginal chiefs who called for peaceful protests and a day of reflection.

“We know there is frustration; we feel it, †Phil Fontaine, chief of the Assembly of First Nations, told a news conference in Ottawa.

“Tomorrow, however, we intend to undertake the educational process, we will be asking all Canadians to learn about our people.â€

Canada's premiers and territorial leaders also issued a rare joint statement Thursday, acknowledging that aboriginals are understandably disappointed and frustrated with the past, but urged protesters to keep Friday's campaign “peaceful and law-abiding.â€

In anticipation of the blockade, Via Rail suspended Friday's passenger train service between the highly-travelled Montreal-Toronto and Ottawa-Toronto corridor, on the first day of one of the busiest weekends of the summer.

At Toronto's Union Station, five Via employees were serving a growing queue of passengers late Thursday afternoon. More than 40 people were lined up at 4:30 p.m., many of them seeking to change tickets or board trains tonight.

Donovan Gopaul of Toronto, who planned to travel to Kingston on Friday, learned about the potential rail blockade earlier this week. He quickly changed his tickets to Thursday, but lined up at the Via wicket this afternoon so he could get an even earlier train.

Mr. Gopaul knows first-hand the inconvenience of a rail blockade. His girlfriend in Kingston was left delayed and confused after a separate native protest paralyzed rail traffic in Eastern Ontario in April.

“It took her forever to get here. She was put on a bus. It was pretty confusing for her and I think things ended up being about two days delayed,†he said. “So it was pretty chaotic and this, from what I've heard, promises to be even more chaotic.â€

Eve Silver of Toronto said she got word of the cancellation late Wednesday night by e-mail. She immediately rebooked a ticket for her 16-year-old son, who was headed to Montreal to visit a childhood friend Friday.

“My husband and I are a little nervous about the whole thing because this is his first time going away on his own, so we're a little stressed about the switchover,†she said. “They (don't) have enough staff on. We've already been in this line for 15 minutes and we just took our first steps now.â€

Ms. Silver said she has empathy for protesting natives, but she questioned their tactics.

“They're certainly not rousing any public sympathy by inconveniencing people and I wonder if they couldn't get their message across another way.â€

Michelle Planche of Toronto scrambled to call her brother, Matthew, to advise him of the cancellation, which threatened to disrupt their plans to attend a Montreal wedding.

“My brother couldn't take the day off today so he's leaving tomorrow and he's planning on taking the 3:30 (train) to be there for tomorrow night for a reception, and apparently that's not going to happen.â€

Via says it will offer a full refund for customers who want to return their ticket, and will waive any fees involved in changing tickets.

Full service is expected to resume on the routes on Saturday.

“Via's priority is to ensure the safety and comfort of all passengers and crew,†Via spokesman Steve Del Bosco said in a statement.

“While we recognize the impact this may have on individual travel plans, the decision was taken after careful consideration of the uncertainty of the situation and the potential risks involved in attempting to operate under such unpredictable conditions.â€

The southern Ontario town of Caledonia was also on high alert as a 16-month occupation of a former housing development site continued.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said he had spoken to the province's aboriginal leaders, and everyone had agreed the day should go ahead “without incident.â€

Friday is about grievances aboriginal communities have with the federal government, not the province, he said.

“I remain hopeful that this national day of action will proceed in a peaceful and respectful way,†McGuinty said, adding it will be up to provincial police to deal with any blockades or illegal activity.

Marie Trainer, mayor of Haldimand County, which includes the town of Caledonia, said residents had been watching apprehensively over the last few days as cars with Quebec and American licence plates drove onto the occupied site.

Ms. Trainer said everyone was hoping the day would go by without any of the violent clashes the occupation has sparked in the past.

“I'm sure there will be a couple of spots that are hot, but I'm hoping ours isn't,†Trainer said.

Mr. Brant and his Mohawks amassed at a quarry about two kilometres south of Highway 401 that Brant occupied last March.

Mr. Brant said he would remain there until the Ontario government stops allowing a private company to truck away the land the Mohawks have claimed.

Negotiations with the federal government have dragged over the last four years, Mr. Brant says.

Dale Welsh of Deseronto drives by the occupied quarry, with Mohawk flags snapping in the breeze, a few times a week.

“If everybody would just get together and settle things, we wouldn't have a problem,†he said.

People in town are worried about property values and bad headlines, said Wlsh, 60.

Then again, he can see the Mohawk point of view.

“I'd be mad if somebody came in and infringed on my land.â€

In the event of trouble, OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino said today that any response by his officers would be measured.

I remember the last time the word "measured" was used by a prominent Canadian politician.

Why the hell is this guy OPP commish?

Oh yeah, to keep Sorbara's seat safe.

Though the radical fringe group goes too far by blocking the CN mainline. VIA has already canceled its trains for tomorrow, one of the busiest days of the year for leisure travel.

I had a chat on this matter with a colleague today and their response was essentially WTF, the natives lost, now get off the land. In reply, I asked lost what? We never had any Anglo-Indian Wars in Canada, and in fact anyone who knows Canada's history, will know that that the Mohawk and other native peoples were strong British allies during the Anglo-French and Anglo-American Wars of the mid 1700s through to the War of 1812.

I say settle the claims fairly and help our native peoples gain economic independence from the Federal government.

The trouble is that many claims can't be settled in the manner that many members of First Nations demand, so the idea of "fair" me never be agreed upon.

I don't mean to sound bigoted, but what is the appeal of living on a reserve? Aren't aboriginals many times better off living in contemporary urban environments where, although somewhat restricted by finding themselves on the bottom rungs of the Canadian socio-economic ladder, they have at least some upward mobility rather than in those gulag-like reserves where they have none?

I know it's their land, but what good is land when you can't even eek out an existence from it? What good is exemption from taxation when it means that you are bound to welfare dependency? What good is self-rule or pride when there are no jobs, no education, no prospects and no future?

Ha ha. I'm not sure, because I haven't read the Globe in days.

It is a shame that she is the G+M's mouthpiece on this matter because her job is to be that paper's polemic. Native issues always had to be handled with velvet gloves in this country - it was a sensitive issue and too long people have just looked the other way rather than ask the tough questions. At least observationally the reserve system looks to be a total failure: chronic unemployment, rampant alcoholism, the highest teen suicide rate in the world.

Reserves are also a hangover of the bad old days - to corral an ethnic group into small land holdings and then, as a consolation, give them some rights to self governance is a sick twist. Would African Americans be better off today if they would have had been granted land claims to the horrible sharecropper villages they lived in in the deep South?

That's a comparison of apples and oranges. We stole African people from their land. We stole the land from First Nations peoples, and we have an obligation to compensate them for that. And if they need to block a highway or train track in order to get what they deserve and have been denied for generations, all the more power to them.

Okay, apples and apples it is.

"We" stole Africans from their continent, so the American government supported the creation of Liberia. "We" took the natives' land, so we set up the reservation system. I use scare quotes because I, you, and everyone we know had no direct involvement in the slave trade or the decimation and genocide of the First Nations.

I would rather be a black American stuck in the worst part of Gary, Indiana than live in Monrovia. I would rather live as an aboriginal in North Winnipeg than Davis Inlet any day.

And we all benefit indirectly from it, which makes it our obligation to pay for what we benefit from.

most importantly, england should pay for it. the british empire profited from all its colonies all over the world. the average canadian person has nothing to do with this unless they own capital handed down from generations before that was aquired dishonestly.

You might have an argument, exept that Canada assumed those obligations in 1867, and subsequently created new ones of its own. If you live and work in Toronto, for example, you do so on land that was stolen. And for which compensation is only just.

Sorry folks,

but I am so done with paying for anything that happened in the past. I read, I watched Dances with Wolves and cried. But damnit I am sick of this crap.

The councils must be corrupt because we give billions to the natives every year. There should not be poverty. Period.

Honest to god, some of you will call me names etc, but I can not fathom why this continues. If they want more land , get off the public teet. Or start paying taxes.

And No other group would even be able to mention blockades without being thrown in jail. Period! You know it and I know it. Dolthead is so afraid of doing anything against the natives after going after Harris, we now see Caledonia all over the place. Way to go idiot.

This has got to stop. We are a country of laws, and no one is above them.

BTW, I was born here, that makes me a native.

And we all benefit indirectly from it, which makes it our obligation to pay for what we benefit from...If you live and work in Toronto, for example, you do so on land that was stolen. And for which compensation is only just.

But the natives were, themselves, embroiled in Pre-Columbian wars of their own where land was stolen, entire populations subjugated and sold into slavery, etc. Maybe aboriginal groups should be compensating/blockading each other?

Back