News   Apr 19, 2024
 340     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.9K     2 

"First Class" travels on TTC subway trains.

Hehe... And methinks you may have a closed mind. Rather limited. (Now have to read "rules" here about how much you can be rude to and disparage others.) Anybuddy else here with anything "more intelligent" to comment about this specific thought about using what may be an under-used city resource?

Stuff we know so far:
1) Travel volumes peak each day (such that resources are designed around some "large" figure of users).
2) Sections of these trains are designed for some ratio of seated plus standing occupants.
3445058061_cd7e1ff002_z.jpg

I guessing, but if the TTC managers are any sort of "business minded" folks they should be thrilled to see "quiet"/off peak times better utilized.

May be "hard to believe" that Toronto ferry companies ever owned a baseball stadium and lacrosse grounds
Lacrosse_Grounds_Hanlans_Point_1900s.jpg

Would some segment of subway riders be willing to pay a higher fare in return for a guaranteed seat or limited standee 'crush' at rush hour ? Probably. Just put Presto machines in the premium car and people can tap on as they enter, the tap on collects the surcharge.

Is the TTC capable of offering this? Not at the present time. Too many rush hour delays, resulting in crush loads when service resumes. The premium riders would have to be willing to endure a forced wait of a few trains until the backlog clears.

Is this in the spirit of our city? I hope not. Suppose that 10% of riders would pay a second fare for the right to leaving the seat next to them empty. Do we turn away 10% of current riders to enable this? The economics are favourable, but we are trying to plan lines to load to capacity. On Yonge we are already beyond capacity. Sometimes egalitarianisn is the right approach, even if there is a minority prepared to pay more.

- Paul

I have to keep saying this over and over again:
1) To run one or more extra train compartments during off peak times (when the subways are underutilized).
2)Charge for prepaid tickets for these events that last for hours.
3) Sweeten "high"-er prices by scheduling attractions. Like a music concert does. Like baseball games do. Like hockey games do.

It's sorta disturbing to realize that most on UT prefer to sit at home and watch video games or something. There's an election coming up. (Nasty habit, I know.) I went to a recent thingee at Varsity Village in the Toronto east end. NO IDEA what that party paid to put that on. But political candidates at provincial/federal levels might find a rolling venue an attractive alternative to other options.

There are small events held all over town where folks travel distances to to attend. "Higher" ticket prices for a traveling venue would offset fuel costs and downtown parking fees.

Not so long ago Toronto let a private enterprise run a (too large/expensive) ferry service between Toronto and Rochester. Anybody remember the Canadian Naval hydrofoil vessel the Bras D'Or?
brasdors4.jpg

Fast ferry trip across Lake Ontario anyone? In the same way, the thought here is to make an extended trip on a TTC subway train an attractive "event". At added cost.
Thanks

I have to keep saying this over and over again:
1) To run one or more extra train compartments during off peak times (when the subways are underutilized).
2)Charge for prepaid tickets for these events that last for hours.
3) Sweeten "high"-er prices by scheduling attractions. Like a music concert does. Like baseball games do. Like hockey games do.

Off- peak times would include weeknights and/or weekend afternoons, right?

On many nights (and weekend afternoons), umpteen thousand Jays fans or Leafs fans descend on Union Station en masse. The time of their arrival can vary by 30 minutes or more, depending on overtime, shootouts, game delays, extra innings.

Add various special events, concerts, annual events like Pride, Caribana, Santa Claus Parade, CNE, etc etc.

My point - there are peaks happening all the time. The system could not turn the special fares 'on' and 'off' around these.

I'm certainly not going to wave my Reserved First Class seat ticket in the face of a platform full of frustrated Leafs fans, who just handed a pile of money over to rich folks and got mediocre hockey in return - and then slide into a roomy reserved subway car while they fume on the platform.

- Paul

Last edited:
Understand. Obviously I didn't imagine the most horrible, negative scenario imaginable. Any "special" trips could be scheduled in advance NOT to coincide with any "major" sports events. There's *always* "stuff" going on in Toronto, yes?
http://events.seetorontonow.com/

Back