News   May 14, 2024
 548     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 944     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 489     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Does John Tory officially support the Finch West LRT or unofficially? And could this specific transit project be sidelined or cancelled due to other transit priorities?

Thanks

He's said Finch West and Sheppard East would proceed under schedule.
He said that after leaving them off his transit map and having been pressed fairly hard on it. Unfortunately with Mammoliti re-elected there is plenty of reason to fear the derailing of Finch West.

He said that after leaving them off his transit map and having been pressed fairly hard on it. Unfortunately with Mammoliti re-elected there is plenty of reason to fear the derailing of Finch West.

I'm even more concerned about Sheppard East, where Scarborough councillors and MPs are quietly trying to kill it. I hope Tory will grow a spine and stand up to this stupidity.

It'll depend if Mammoliti will be a lapdog to Tory like he was to Ford.
17181869.JPG

Attachments

• 17181869.JPG
    17181869.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 755
I would say that Finch LRT is 95% certain to be built, and Sheppard LRT has a 80% chance. Not because John Tory, or anyone else, will actively promote them.

Rather, they will be built due to the absence of a credible alternative. With the focus on Danforth extension and SmartTrack, a northern crosstown subway isn't going to happen. A motion to simply cancel LRT without any replacement, is unlikely to gain much support.

That's Provincial money provided by Metrolinx, its not for Mammo to just do with as he pleases.

Talk about a little kid trying to impress his friends with mommy and daddys money.

It's not even provided by Metrolinx; Metrolinx is building Finch LRT and they have control of the money. TTC and Toronto aren't involved other than as consultants.

I'd laugh if Tory stuck to the letter of the request. Mark Finch as a corridor for subway study in 2150.

Last edited:
I feel conflicted. On the one hand, I would like to see the FWLRT and it believe it's a big transit upgrade for the huge amount of people who take the bus there.

On the other hand, I'm thinking: Really? You'd really prefer nothing over a 1 billion dollar LRT?? Then why are we spending money upgrading transit in this area if it's not appreciated?

There are many other worthy transit projects that need funding. We could use the money for McNicoll bus garage, additional streetcars, Waterfront east LRT, Eglinton west LRT extension etc.

I guess the question is, do they really prefer nothing to an LRT?

I don't really have a problem with spending the money another worthwhile transit project. On the other hand, FWLRT is a good one and I'm sick of the constant changing & cancellation of plans.

I feel conflicted. On the one hand, I would like to see the FWLRT and it believe it's a big transit upgrade for the huge amount of people who take the bus there.

On the other hand, I'm thinking: Really? You'd really prefer nothing over a 1 billion dollar LRT?? Then why are we spending money upgrading transit in this area if it's not appreciated?

There are many other worthy transit projects that need funding. We could use the money for McNicoll bus garage, additional streetcars, Waterfront east LRT, Eglinton west LRT extension etc.

I guess the question is, do they really prefer nothing to an LRT?

I don't really have a problem with spending the money another worthwhile transit project. On the other hand, FWLRT is a good one and I'm sick of the constant changing & cancellation of plans.

I think it comes down to that they don't know what they're missing. If the many low income people, single mothers, students, and other people likely to use transit in this neighbourhood - and there are a lot of them - knew that they could have comfortable and faster ride then the current jammed and slow buses, then I have zero doubt that they would prefer LRT.

Of course I also have serious doubts as to whether or not it is in fact those people who are opposing LRT, or instead Mammolitti, a councillor who is certainly far removed from the socio-economic daily reality of most of his constituents.

The people who oppose this are probably mainly car drivers who don't want any money spent on public transit, especially if it is above ground. They are convinced it will slow down their cars.

I had this conversation with a friend in Scarborough. After he was advocating for subways only, he finally admitted that he really didn't care about public transit because he will never use it. It's basically pure and simple selfishness. These people never realize that bad public transit does effect them and will only lead to worse traffic on the street.

Back