News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 988     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

While I agree, the main benefit to ISO8602 is that alphabetical sort and date sort are the exact same, which meant you could sort it in a programming language like COBOL without a lot of additional code to transform the string first. It's also a language agnostic format.

North American banking went with it pretty much everywhere because they had a lot of COBOL when picking interchange standards. Of course, they also used a 2-year date to save space and hardcoded the 19 so it was actually YY-MM-DD which, as we know, caused some concerns ~25 years ago.
I do my part by using this at work. I twitch when I see people naming files with other date formats.

AFAIK, only Hurontario and Hamilton are "likely". Eglinton East and Waterfront are unfunded. Haven't heard anything about iON or Ottawa.
ML was directed in January to proceed with an initial business plan for Hurontario extension + loop. Waterfront east roadways are being designed with a dedicated ROW streetcar in mind, it will be the most favoured option when the time comes to expand transit here.

Although iON has been a relative success story, an expansion project has a pretty low chance of getting funded as compared to GTHA transit developments.

If Eglinton, Finch and Hurontario see even some operational success then I will expect to see more LRT proposals. Picturing a large corridor crossing a GO-RER route, eg. Erin Mills Pkwy, Trafalgar, Steeles.

I suspect that we are heading into a bit of a transit-investment winter, as CPC replace the Liberals federally. I think PP will be far less likely to partner with Ford on transit investments due to 'cupboard is bare' and the anti-15 minute city wing of the PP's base.

AFAIK, only Hurontario and Hamilton are "likely". Eglinton East and Waterfront are unfunded. Haven't heard anything about iON or Ottawa.
Ottawa has put any and all expansion plans for Phase 3 on hold for the time being due to funding issues. The City is basically broke with the only chance to fund it being higher levels of government, and nobody from the province to the feds want to fund expansions to a system that has had this many problems.

As it is the Phase 2 system in Ottawa is going to be a pretty great system for a city of its size. Once they work out all the teething issues, of course.

As it is the Phase 2 system in Ottawa is going to be a pretty great system for a city of its size. Once they work out all the teething issues, of course.

I agree, once they demolish and rebuild 3-4 curves in the line, re-do the station platforms as high-level, lengthen the stations/platforms, and replace all the rolling stock and signals, their system will be just peachy!

Oh how I hope that won't be necessary.
In no way will it be necessary. The talk about rebuilding two kilometres of "tight curves" is nonsense. The tightest curves on the main line are in about 120 metres.

Someone had better tell Seattle, LA and San Diego, for example, to immediately rebuild their systems since they all have curve radii of much less than this. And the Loop in Chicago must immediately come down, since the 28ish meter curves that their heavy rail system has incorporated since the nineteenth century are impossible.

Some components in the wheel and axle are being replaced to handle the stresses and some track has been fiddled with.

In no way will it be necessary. The talk about rebuilding two kilometres of "tight curves" is nonsense. The tightest curves on the main line are in about 120 metres.

Someone had better tell Seattle, LA and San Diego, for example, to immediately rebuild their systems since they all have curve radii of much less than this. And the Loop in Chicago must immediately come down, since the 28ish meter curves that their heavy rail system has incorporated since the nineteenth century are impossible.

Some components in the wheel and axle are being replaced to handle the stresses and some track has been fiddled with.
Not that I disagree with you overall point, but comparing what is effectively a light metro to what I presume are on street light rail segments where trams turn at like 10km/h is a bit strange.

I suspect that we are heading into a bit of a transit-investment winter, as CPC replace the Liberals federally. I think PP will be far less likely to partner with Ford on transit investments due to 'cupboard is bare' and the anti-15 minute city wing of the PP's base.

I have been thinking this for a while now. I don’t think it’s the 15 minute city truthers that will be the reason for a slowdown in transit construction though. It’s just basic fiscal conservatism that will be the reason.

Harper years were not great for transit investment but there were a few projects launched. Although some of them were just the legacy of Chrétien funding commitments.

Harper years were not great for transit investment but there were a few projects launched. Although some of them were just the legacy of Chrétien funding commitments.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that the Harper Government spent more on transit than the Chretien government did. I expect some cuts from PP. But I don't expect they'll be that heavy on transit. Infrastructure gives politicians ribbon cuttings. Cheques and tax cuts don't. This is why you see the Ford conservatives being quite generous on transit spending but a lot more stingy on social programs. The $3B per year the Liberals are pledging in transit funding is less than 1% of the federal budget. That's not that hard to maintain. And even a 10-20% cut just moves timelines out by a year.

I assume the Finch extension is depended on the airport finalizing how they are going to incorporate Line 5/6 into Pearson and they've been silent on their plans. In the meantime, it'd be nice if Line 6 was extended to Woodbine GO station.
For those not paying attention to City Hall, if I understood correctly, our councillors just voted *against* prioritizing the Finch LRT extended westward.

Updated > My confusion - council voted against the amendment, not the extension

Motions (City Council)​

1 - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Vincent Crisanti (Lost)
That City Council delete Executive Committee Recommendation 5.b.

Recommendation to be deleted:

5.b. request Metrolinx to advance planning of a Finch West Light Rapid Transit extension to Woodbine and beyond to Pearson International Airport.

and, adopt instead the following new Part 5.b:

5.b. request the Province, through its agency Metrolinx, to plan and advance the extension of the Finch West LRT from Humber College to the proposed Woodbine GO Station, with appropriate interim LRT stops, including a stop at Rexdale Boulevard, and to propose a plan, to be shared with the City of Toronto for a further connection to Pearson International Airport, and to respond formally to the City with the process to advance the project.

Last edited:
(dropping this here, just to finish the thought - but ready to move to a more appropriate thread)

I see from the last motion that the not so fine art of playing footsie with developers is alive and well in central Etobicoke. Sherway may need a subway some day - but it's not a priority given the current number of residents and workers in that part of the city.

- Paul

No, it seems like Crisanti wanted to amend 5b and his petition to amend 5b failed. 5b in its original form stays.
What do you see as the difference? To me it looks like the amendment has more urgency and specificity to it which I thought would be a good thing.

Back